Who is old enough to remember..........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Bob Newhart's achingly funny story about Introducing Tobacco to Civilisation - his conversation with Walter Raleigh ? (see youtube)

Well, I've just sat watching a man on television sniffing a tin lid ! and my warped sense of humour wondered how, in the same vein, this could be turned into telling the word what a candle smells like !! - "by breathing in deeply on a tin lid Craig ?"

Bob Newhart's achingly funny story about Introducing Tobacco to Civilisation - his conversation with Walter Raleigh ? (see youtube)

Well, I've just sat watching a man on television sniffing a tin lid ! and my warped sense of humour wondered how, in the same vein, this could be turned into telling the word what a candle smells like !! - "by breathing in deeply on a tin lid Craig ?"

Oh yes I remember that and also the Driving Instructor One they were hilarious.

Yes, I remember those, brilliant!

And anyone remember Mike Harding? The Fourteen & a Half Pound Budgie & lots of others. My particularly favourite was A Limey in New York.

Uncle Joe's Mint balls? Rochdale cowboy? My brother Silvest? No never heard of him! :mysmilie_59:

Youtube is a boon for explaining to my kids when I start reminiscing...and I get the "look". But a few times they've been introduced to something they like too.

WELL ! some of us have being saying for some time that Q and a lot of whats on the tele have 'kids' running the set up. No further proof needed, when Leslie and Charlie were on doing the Susan Graver show, Leslie said a pair of trousers reminded her of Doris Day - then a child in the Gallery said to Charlie "who's Doris Day?". Need I say more ? Sadly I know some of this generation haven't a clue who Fred Astaire or Frank Sinatra are. (shaking my head)

Wouldn't be interesting if Ms Day debuted today on X Factor or the like.

Just imagine the faces of the judges of Cowel et el, as she blasted through her rendition of 'Blue Day', - especially without the aid of voice auto tune..

I loved Hello Muddah Hello Fadda I think it was Al Newman. All these oldies can be so funny.

yes, they used to play it on the Saturday morning radio 1, when it was Stewpot, Tony Blackburn then Peter Powell. I used to listen when I was a child right up to a teen. Morning Town Ride by The Seekers was the theme. Last year on one of the radio channels they played it and I still knew the words.

Ah....Radio Caroline, At last a pop station you could actually listen to without the constant fading in & out of Radio Luxembourg......Keynsham, spelt K..E..Y..N..S..H..A..M. :happy:

Uncle Joe's Mint balls? Rochdale cowboy? My brother Silvest? No never heard of him! :mysmilie_59:

Definitely heard of uncle Joe's mint balls and My brother Silvest (with a row of forty(? ) medals on his chest (big chest))

Funny thing though is I have no idea why or how I remember them. I was born in 1973 so my parents must have had something to do with it.

And I loved Radio Luxemborg (though it was really feint and I could hardly hear it). I was too young for Radio Caroline though that was no longer on the air waves when I had my radio/cassette recorder. Used to spend hours with my finger hovering over the "pause" button whilst taping the charts.

Ah....Radio Caroline, At last a pop station you could actually listen to without the constant fading in & out of Radio Luxembourg......Keynsham, spelt K..E..Y..N..S..H..A..M. :happy:

Oh Blimey - good old Horace Batchelor !!!!! listened to Radio L after 'Journey Into Space with 'Jet' Morgan" !! on Sunday nights.
and on Saturday's teatime it was Whirlygig with Humphrey Lestoque and good old Mexican Pete. Then there was the Bumblies who lived on the ceiling, with Michael Bentine

http://www.turnipnet.com/whirligig/tv/children/whirligig/whirligig.htm

Steve Race, McDonald Hobley, Sylvia Peters, Mary Malcolm, Gilbert Harding, Isobel Barnet....................

I wonder how many will remember Simon Cowell in 50 years time ?????

Oh Radio Luxemborg, I used lay in bed at night with a little radio listening. You had to tweak the tuner every so often as it used to fade in and out. My Mum used to come into my bedroom and take it off me, then tell me to go to sleep. For some reason when I Radio Luxemborg I think David Bowie Starman, I can remember they played it so much back then.

Latest posts

Back