Will they or won`t they ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Vienna

Registered Shopper
There`s a massive uproar on Q`s facebook page at the moment. Someone posted earlier today that QVC are to be selling the type of dog training collar which gives the animal an electric shock. I think the brand quoted is called Garmin. I know very little about these contraptions and would find it hard to believe that people think its acceptable to use such a thing.
Anyway someone from Q`s social media team has said they`ll speak to the buyers and feedback whether such items are to be sold or not. Someone posted that they are illegal in Wales ( rightly so ) and as yet, it isn`t clear whether they`d be sold on QVC UK or in the US. Either way, Q will still be profiting from animal cruelty in my opinion.
I guess we`ll all have to wait and see whether they will or won`t be selling them. All I can say is it`s caused quite an uproar and there are obviously strong feelings about it.
How could so called animal loving presenters, many of whom own dogs, Debbie, Dale, Chloe, AY, Charlie etc possibly be comfortable selling these barbaric items ?

I don't really know why people are getting themselves so stressed out about this when there is actually no confirmation that QVC UK are actually going to be selling them. It's like Chinese whispers on that Facebook page.

Regardless of whether QVC sell them in US or UK, having just read the press release, this sounds like it's for owners who don't want dogs to be dogs. Using this to remotely "train" a dog not to bark... which could be the dog expressing distress at being alone or being hurt or injured... so you would "train" them to "correct their behaviour" rather than see whether your living, breathing pet and family member is hurt or suffering.

At present Garmin are only really known in UK for their sat nav devices... this reveals an uncomfortable side to their business.

Rumour or not, I hope it doesn't come to QVC UK, and preferably not to QVC at all.

Online there are many for sale so they are OK in UK.

Im very surprised.I would never use them on my dog or any dog I owned. They seem cruel . Some are called anti bark collars.
Well I have a Doberman and being a guard type dog she barks a lot at noises near the house but she knows when she is being told to stop.Its hard work but you have to keep at it.

Some continuous barkers have separation anxiety or bored if they are alone all day and an electric collar will not solve that problem.

To be quiet honest I'm not surprised but I do wonder if these people up in arms have bought a Dennis Basso coat? I can't see it being a problem for the presenters to sell these disgusting, painful contraptions of animal cruelty, because each and every one of the "animal lovers" have stood right up there with Julien Macdonald, Bob Mackie and of course Dennis Basso, yes even the "vegetarian" Queen Julia, so no I can't see any of them having a problem, they obviously don't have morals or compassion, QVC should literally hang their heads in shame making profit out of all types of anxieties, pain and suffering but they don't mind though, people won't stop buying because of it.

To be quiet honest I'm not surprised but I do wonder if these people up in arms have bought a Dennis Basso coat? I can't see it being a problem for the presenters to sell these disgusting, painful contraptions of animal cruelty, because each and every one of the "animal lovers" have stood right up there with Julien Macdonald, Bob Mackie and of course Dennis Basso, yes even the "vegetarian" Queen Julia, so no I can't see any of them having a problem, they obviously don't have morals or compassion, QVC should literally hang their heads in shame making profit out of all types of anxieties, pain and suffering but they don't mind though, people won't stop buying because of it.
You are right to say that people won't stop buying, really, they can't lose. If they try to sell them and fail people will soon forget soon they will go on their merry way riding roughshod over their 'Adoring customer'

It's worrying that people may think these things can be used instead of sustained training and being a leader to your dog .

I agree if Q can make money they will sell them come what may. I can't bear Basso , and I think many if the American designers use fur.

How a dog owner thinks it's acceptable to train a dog through physical pain and fear, shouldn't have a dog in the first place, because if they'd place this collar around the poor things neck, knowing what it's about to do to the probably already anxious and scared "pet" then imagine what else they're capable of. Time, that's all a loving animal needs, time.

How a dog owner thinks it's acceptable to train a dog through physical pain and fear, shouldn't have a dog in the first place, because if they'd place this collar around the poor things neck, knowing what it's about to do to the probably already anxious and scared "pet" then imagine what else they're capable of. Time, that's all a loving animal needs, time.
Mind you, I would put one round SGs neck and every time she talks over a guest, ignores what they are saying as she knows better or even picks up her iPad I would press the button. Is this too cruel??

Mind you, I would put one round SGs neck and every time she talks over a guest, ignores what they are saying as she knows better or even picks up her iPad I would press the button. Is this too cruel??

It would be cruel for the people who would develop repetitive strain injury through all that finger pressing, the woman is forever talking over people and checking out that iPad, the person who develops a "stop presenters being rude" machine could retire before the months out and would most certainly receive a Nobel peace prize, that's for sure.

Possible use on QVC presenters, would be great with a remote you could zap them when they are lying or wearing c**p clothes. I don't say fashion because their clothes are not fashion.Would this be seen as cruelty to presenters??????

There are various types of 'training collars' on the market but I presume here we are talking about electric shock collars as opposed to the anti-barking type which spray something unpleasant at the dog if they start mouthing off! (The latter many dogs learn to avoid by simply turning their head at the appropriate moment! lol)

If the former however, this is absolutely not something I would wish to see presented on a TV shopping channel; I know they are widely available to buy generally but to encourage the mass purchasing of such items as a quick fix way to train a dog is very wrong imho, overused or used by those lacking the experience to make them truly effective is really quite worrying!

I have (very occasionally!) been involved in the use of electric collars & can think of only two reasons when their use might be considered justified:
1. Habitually chasing stock, where a continuation of the behaviour is likely to result in the dog being eventually shot! (Using a collar in this instance is handler controlled & requires perfect timing & a good recall!)
2. Habitually wandering off an unfenced property (which may be too large to fence practically)! (This is using a wire fence setting off the collar remotely if the dog gets too close but this requires extensive training to initially teach the dog the property boundaries!)

None of the above can possibly be covered in a short(ish) TV presentation & as such, the purchase of such items is more likely to result in a lot of confused, nervous dogs, sadly!

:sad:

No they all need one. A glass diamond one to make it 'posh' enough.Then the crew ,or guests, could 'zap 'em' .Not too hard.They have had lots of time and have the brain and should know how to behave .

There are various types of 'training collars' on the market but I presume here we are talking about electric shock collars as opposed to the anti-barking type which spray something unpleasant at the dog if they start mouthing off! (The latter many dogs learn to avoid by simply turning their head at the appropriate moment! lol)

If the former however, this is absolutely not something I would wish to see presented on a TV shopping channel; I know they are widely available to buy generally but to encourage the mass purchasing of such items as a quick fix way to train a dog is very wrong imho, overused or used by those lacking the experience to make them truly effective is really quite worrying!

I have (very occasionally!) been involved in the use of electric collars & can think of only two reasons when their use might be considered justified:
1. Habitually chasing stock, where a continuation of the behaviour is likely to result in the dog being eventually shot! (Using a collar in this instance is handler controlled & requires perfect timing & a good recall!)
2. Habitually wandering off an unfenced property (which may be too large to fence practically)! (This is using a wire fence setting off the collar remotely if the dog gets too close but this requires extensive training to initially teach the dog the property boundaries!)

None of the above can possibly be covered in a short(ish) TV presentation & as such, the purchase of such items is more likely to result in a lot of confused, nervous dogs, sadly!

:sad:

I agree.The problem with mass purchasing of these is that some owners may see them purely as a possible quick fix solution to a problem caused by their failure to manage their dog correctly.They are also open to be used cruelly.As you said some limited uses where other factors have to be considered are understandable. I have seen the results of stock attack by unmanaged dogs.If owners,as most do,take the time to train their intelligent animals I don't see why these things are ever needing to be sold in outlets such as Q V C.They should be restricted to vets or qualified trainers in my opinion.

I forgot to say in my earlier post - anyone else's mind boggling as to how this can be demonstrated in the studio? Or will they resort to a sanitised video with no pain-induced wimpers etc?

This is the sort of barbaric crap they think is acceptable in America; QVCUK being essentially a branch of an American company. Some of them also think that declawing cats is a reasonable thing to do.

Last edited:
If QVC start selling these hideous mediaeval devices then the presenters should each be made to wear one. Every time they start spouting crap, it's set to give them an electric shock. See how they like it.

And before using them on their dogs, any purchaser should try wearing them themselves... might make them pause for thought!

Latest posts

Back