Would you book any kind of trip abroad this year?!!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I ask this because I've just heard from my friend who's really upset because she booked a trip to Amsterdam for her and her fella for the beginning of Sept but now the quarantine rules have changed she's having to cancel because her fella is unable to work from home. She paid for flight and hotel separately and reckons she stands to lose nearly £600. I said how sorry I felt but what ever possessed her in this current climate to book an non financially protected holiday? She got a bit upset with me because she felt the question didn't help...but I was so shocked that she'd done this...it kinda just blurted out. She's ok with me now as she explained that her fella had told her from the outset that it was a bad idea but said well "if you insist, then you're paying" ...and now the inevitable has happened he's being like..."well what did I say? you've only got yourself to blame" etc etc.....so her emotions are running a bit high. It looks like official travel advice has now listed the NL as a place only to go to for essential travel therefore she should have a chance of getting her flight money refunded.
Don't know about anyone else on here but I have totally written off any idea of taking a holiday or break outside of the uk this year, it's complete madness...and if I did I'd make sure I had it written in stone that should I have to cancel or the holiday was cancelled that I wouldn't lose any money. I can't help feeling sorry for her but at the same time I can't believe she's been so stupid..sorry!

I certainly would not book a foreign holiday this year. I have no sympathy for those who have gone to France and are now having to quarantine when they come back. My daughters and grandchildren had dozens of holidays booked pre Covid but all have now received refunds.

I haven’t been abroad since 2004. My passport has expired and I have no intention of going abroad for the foreseeable. I’m not a sun lover so countries like Spain are definitely off my agenda but I’m quite happy taking mini breaks in Yorkshire like I’ve been doing for years.

I've had 3 holidays cancelled recently one 'cause of the Thomas Cook collapse but got my money back no problems. Then rebooked for Tenerife for April...and Amsterdam for June both cancelled due to Covid plus a festival I would've been going to today..but ticket extended for next year..so I've been lucky. There's no way I'd stretch my luck for the sake of a week or a few days away that would be restrictive anyway (even if there was no other problems) The slightest chance of being stranded overseas or having to quarantine at home with no chance of working from home is the biggest no ever for me! I'll be honest I have no sympathy for those who have booked just 'cause they want a change of scenery...but I can muster up a bit for those who are going to see family.

We've had two cancelled this year, one of them was my Mr T's climbing holiday so he went to Scotland last week as an alternative. He received a lengthy email with all the protocol he had to follow & even though the hotel staff sounded very friendly & helpful he said it was like being at school. I didn't even consider a UK holiday, fortunately we've had good weather which has made a big difference but I feel it's going to be a very long autumn & winter.

Because we have so little choice of flights/holidays we always book a full years holiday before Christmas so we had 3 booked for 2020. We lost the deposit on 1 but got the deposit for the other 2 transferred to 2021 so even if those go up the Swanee we are no worse off.

I really miss getting away but even locally isn’t an option as no where open and who wants to wear a mask and keep your legs crossed all day. It’s going to be a long winter.

We do actually have next year's holiday booked...a week in Morroco and this was booked before the pandemic was a thing. I know this may sound pessimistic but it wouldn't surprise if this kybosh on holidays abroad carried on into the new year and beyond. I'm glad I've booked only for the fact that I've paid a reasonable price for it. Even if the situation does improve enough to guarantee successful holidays they're gonna be a lot less affordable than they were pre-lockdown. Can only hope for the best..but I think we're all in agreement that trying to book something at the moment is just asking for trouble.

Although our weather was glorious in April and May it wasn't great in June . July and August have been even worse than previous years. I think we have had only 2 good days, the rest has been rain most days and this month floods, hurricane wind and blinking cold. All the plants I managed to scrounge up have been destroyed so I don’t even have the pleasure of the garden anymore.

i am going stir crazy. Lord knows what I will be like by Christmas.

We had 2 holidays booked for this year, both have now been cancelled. We got a full refund from one holiday but have transferred our deposit from the 2nd holiday to one booked for May next year. Everything is so up in the air from this virus and things keep changing so you can never be certain about anything. I just hope that sooner or later the World opens up again. This year has been a complete write off in many ways.

A friend goes to an Elvis convention in Great Yarmouth every year in September. It's a massive caravan site with very large convention rooms etc. She was informed it was cancelled two weeks ago. So even a holiday in the UK can be cancelled. There were 2000 people going and the organizers told people they could cancel if they wanted but only 500 did which meant too many still wanted to go.

A friend goes to an Elvis convention in Great Yarmouth every year in September. It's a massive caravan site with very large convention rooms etc. She was informed it was cancelled two weeks ago. So even a holiday in the UK can be cancelled. There were 2000 people going and the organizers told people they could cancel if they wanted but only 500 did which meant too many still wanted to go.
I would not even consider going to a convention of any kind this year and would certainly not book a holiday for next year let alone this year. I am fortunate to live in a beautiful area where the beaches are deserted most days and the countryside has many off the beaten track places that are local to us. We will be staying home our days of foreign sunshine holidays are long over.

I think the sensible and considerate among us would put our health before even thinking about conventions, holidays etc. Surely, or am I daft?
I don't think you're daft, however, I met a couple on Thursday who would. My Mr T & I went to the cinema, a very small one above our favourite theatre, the weather was awful so I got dropped off & stood, with a bunch of hardy people, waiting for the doors to open. I started talking to a couple, both in their 80s & with what most people would call significant health issues - MS & partial paralysis following a stroke. They told me that they hadn't shielded because going out every day kept their minds & bodies healthy, they had no intention of ever going into hospital if they caught the Chinese horror & next week they're flying to Italy because they went every September & this year wasn't going to be any different. It was clear that nothing fazed them, she'd had this debilitating disease for over 50 years & said that if she'd considered all the things that she couldn't do or that could go wrong there'd have been no point in living. "I wash my hands & drink lots of tea, always have" she said to me as we went inside, I hope they have a marvellous holiday 🇮🇹

Latest posts

Back