Yong kim fabric in tesco!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Weathergirl

Registered Shopper
I have a favourite Yong Kim top that's a soft, thick cotton fabric (not the modal). It's a v neck hooded tunic with heather grey and white stripes with pockets. It wasn't cheap but I wear it such a lot that I could almost forgive the price. I am too embarrassed to admit to the price! It washes well and looks good even a year after buying.

I was in tesco last week and there was a long sleeved fitted t shirt with a straight across neckline and little button detail on each shoulder. OK, not the same as my tunic and a basic top to wear with jeans. It cost £8. The fabric was identical in every way. I know because when I bought it I was wearing my Yong Kim one.

Look I would still like the style of my favourite Yong Kim top. But if they are making clothes out of the same fabric - probably at the next sewing machine at the same factory in China- then how (style, design and taste aside) can QVC justify the price? Once they factor in materials and labour, shipping from China...why oh why is there still over ten times the mark up than tesco charge..(they bulk buy too)

I have never been interested in clothes anyway...I just buy something and wear it until it turns into rags anyway. So I may as well buy in tesco. Let's see how well the tesco one fares in the wash.

Let us know, wg. Which Tesco top was it?

QVC are taking people for a ride with Yong Kim prices (emperor's new clothes syndrome). I reckon if you get 2 weeks' wear from the Tesco top, you've made your money anyway.

I have a favourite Yong Kim top that's a soft, thick cotton fabric (not the modal). It's a v neck hooded tunic with heather grey and white stripes with pockets. It wasn't cheap but I wear it such a lot that I could almost forgive the price. I am too embarrassed to admit to the price! It washes well and looks good even a year after buying.

I was in tesco last week and there was a long sleeved fitted t shirt with a straight across neckline and little button detail on each shoulder. OK, not the same as my tunic and a basic top to wear with jeans. It cost £8. The fabric was identical in every way. I know because when I bought it I was wearing my Yong Kim one.

Look I would still like the style of my favourite Yong Kim top. But if they are making clothes out of the same fabric - probably at the next sewing machine at the same factory in China- then how (style, design and taste aside) can QVC justify the price? Once they factor in materials and labour, shipping from China...why oh why is there still over ten times the mark up than tesco charge..(they bulk buy too)

I have never been interested in clothes anyway...I just buy something and wear it until it turns into rags anyway. So I may as well buy in tesco. Let's see how well the tesco one fares in the wash.

I'd like to say its the name you pay for but outside of QVC no one has ever heard of her, believe it or not QVC is actually the dearest way to shop, the derlivery is slow and their p&p and returns process is dire.

Supermarket clothes are just like everywhere else, you can get some which fall apart after one wash and you can get some which go on and on. Paying more doesn`t necessarily mean getting more. I`ve read reviews on some Q items which have cost a small fortune but have been poorly made, low quality and terrible style and fit, Yong Kim stuff being some of them, amongst other brands.
I`ve had some really nice long lasting items from supermarkets but I`ve also had a few rubbish ones too but the difference is you`re not losing a fortune if you only get a few months out of something. I do what I call the T shirt challenge every year. I buy plain V necked cotton T shirts which I wear around the house and for dog walking and I`ve had them from Marks, Asda, Primark, Bon Marche, Next and other places and boy do they vary in price, quality and washability. I buy a new batch every year and chuck them at the end of the Summer and last year it was the Asda ones which came out tops and had cost me around £2.99 each.

I love Yong Kim and have lots of items but also have other cheaper brands which I've bought in the modal, for instance a lot of Sainsbury's tops are modal.
Yong Kim is the name they use in the UK but it's sold as Comfy USA in America. All the clothes are made in the USA not the Far East, it is still very expensive however!

I've bought it as I like long sleeved shirts. Will be interested to try the fabric. Should be picking it up tomorrow evening

I love Yong Kim and have lots of items but also have other cheaper brands which I've bought in the modal, for instance a lot of Sainsbury's tops are modal.
Yong Kim is the name they use in the UK but it's sold as Comfy USA in America. All the clothes are made in the USA not the Far East, it is still very expensive however!

Doesn't "Comfy USA" sound awful? Terrible name for a "fashion" brand.

Yes it makes it sound like cotton traders or something of that ilk. Love or hate Yong Kim it is not that genre at all. Terrible choice of brand name.

We don't have a local Tesco that sells clothes but I'll have to examine theirs some time. I find Sainsburys clothes are brilliant - I bought a broderie-anglaise type white summer top for £12 in their 25% off sale and it looks a designer piece. Probably overall they're a bit dearer than Tescos but the quality is really good. Anyone who buys children's clothes, check their sale rail as I do every week. You get some excellent buys there, like a winter anorak for £6 recently.

I bought a coat from Asda and a shop assisitant in House of Fraser on the Mulberry counter complemented me and asked, "is it Karen Millen?" and I just nodded :mysmilie_50:

My tshirt has arrived. I bought a size 14 and it is a good fit. Tesco's sizes are not generous. The fabric is 80% cotton and 20% polyester so it should not go out of shape. It is soft

Both tops were probably made in the same factory at thre same time, by two related machinists. Then another relative put the labels in.

Latest posts

Back