Capsule wardrobe convert!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Ok, for someone who really isn't bothered about clothes...here's another thread upon the subject. Don't worry I'm still not bothered..but I saw an article in a magazine whilst on holiday about "capsule wardrobes"..I've heard of the concept before, but have never really taken much notice, but I read this article and what they said struck a chord with me. Basically buy a smallish amount of really good quality items for each season and make them all items that will mix and match with each other, so basically you can make about 20 different outifts out of a really small amount of clothes. They suggested a blazer style jacket, got one of those anyway, a trenchstyle coat, a good pair of jeans again I have these, but other than that it was a decent shirt, a really well cut pair of trousers, breton striped top, a white and a grey t shirt, a light fabric midi skirt, there were a few suggestions for footwear, bags and accessories as well. I was on the John Lewis site before I knew it ordering like nobody's business. Here goes..Ordered the trenchcoat, a shirt, a pair of trousers, a t shirt, a skirt, and a breton striped top. All good brands like Hobbs, Joules, Ghost, French connection, a couple of JL's own brand. Stuff was all in the sale and I spent about £150! Not only that they also accidentally sent me a pair of matching trousers to go with the shirt I ordered, and didn't charge me for them...oops! Won't wear them with the shirt cos it would look like I'm wearing pyjamas as they have vertical stripes..but they fit a treat and go great with the t shirt. The quality of the stuff looks amazing and now I don't have to think about clothes for a long time..not that I did in the first place lol!
So no more picking up cheap throwaway fashion, it's all about investment wear from now on. As the article said I've matched up all the separates and I have loads of amazing outfits..Now just somewhere to wear them! To make room I also bagged up and donated a whole lot of clothes that I hardly ever wear. Has anyone else tried the capsule approach to clothing?

Quite funny though that in my 55 years on this planet, I've only just gone with this concept. I remember once back in the early 80's I had just been paid and the money was burning a hole, couldn't be bothered to walk up to main shopping steet, so popped into a small boutique and spent a small fortune of a few items of clothing and omg they lasted and lasted and lasted like nothing I'd ever bought before...didn't learn from that...I guess at that age you want lots of lots of changes of clothes and will spend small amounts, far more frequently on stuff that doesn't last more than a few months..and you think it doesn't matter cause there's plenty more where that came from. Always got more compliments when I was wearing the expensive stuff, or my mum's stuff as she always bought quality over quantity!

I'm intrigued by the idea, but I'm not organised enough to take the plunge. I also don't really know my sizes, and I'm always trying to lose weight.

Congratulations on taking the plunge, Merryone... And at such bargain prices for the quality.

Dunno what took me so long really. For years I bought clothes from my local bootsale, and I got some really good stuff, and would pick stuff up in charity/vintage shops. Since the bootsale closed some years ago..I've literally only bought stuff when I've really had to as clothes shopping hasn't floated my boat for a long while. I earn fairly well so I don't need to shop in cheap fashion stores like Primark & H&M. Though I'd say Marks n' Sparks would be a good place to buy capsule items. I actually got a lift from buying these clothes as I'm confident of the quality and the style isn't going to look frumpy or dated a few years down the line. I'll probably feel the need to buy a few more items for winter but I will be throwing away stuff to make room as I go. Hopefully I'll end up with a classic wardrobe of quality basics that'll keep me looking well dressed for years to come...here's hoping lol!

Well I would not wear, half the stuff on that list.

As a matter of interest what items don't appeal? Does it sound too formal/officey? I mean the "capsule I bought" was the proper basic one which spans all seasons..There were lots of other suggestions..like for winter, and for holidays, festivals etc and for me I think this way of buying clothes, quality over quantity, and more thought given to what "goes together" well will help me have far less clothes, but lots more outfits if that makes sense. I'm not looking for "French chic" or any kind of 1990's style "power-dressing" - I still want to be comfortable but want to look "dressed" as opposed to covered up, which is what I've been for many years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to throw away all the leggings and hoodies I live in all the time, there's still a place for them in my life, but from now on I intend to make style and quality as important as comfort when it comes to buying clothes. Some people are lucky enough to have style naturally - not me....so I think this capsule idea is a good plan for me!

I don't wear trench coats, blazers, shirts, and anything white.

I believe the trick with a capsule wardrobe is to fit it to your personal style. So if you never wear certain types of garment or particular colours, you switch those out for others. I never wear skirts, for example, so I'd give that a miss.

I don't wear trench coats, blazers, shirts, and anything white.

Me neither really! blazers, not that I ever refer to them as such as the word brings to mind old blokes at the yacht club, or snooty middle aged women. I tend to just call them jackets..I've got a couple and they're actually quite nice but with jeans, not twinsets and pearls lol! Trenchcoat...aggh, don't know why but they're in literally every capsule wardrobe suggestion list. Always remind me of Frank Spencer..and I probably wouldn't have bought one, but I found one that's really quite nice as it's not stiff and formal and has a tie belt as opposed to buckled and actually has gathered sleeves at the bottom, really nice and light and will be lovely for a spring, or cool summer's day..and it was cheap. White? Don't wear a lot of it as you have to be very careful with it..and shirts...The one I bought is more of a baggy one, you can belt or wear half done up (as long as you've something underneath) Goes with everything. Def not going to go down the tight fitting ankle grazer trouser look, with loafers, formal shirt, figure hugging sweater. As good as it looks on some, not me I'm too much of a slob to carry it off! Want to look a bit smarter but not too smart eh?!!

I believe the trick with a capsule wardrobe is to fit it to your personal style. So if you never wear certain types of garment or particular colours, you switch those out for others. I never wear skirts, for example, so I'd give that a miss.

Totally agree with that..Though I can't really say I really had any personal style, other than grab something that's clean and fits properly lol! The "Little black dress" is always on the list...Don't have one, don't want one....I've got absolutely beautiful, floaty green floral dress I wear for happy occassions! And a few darker colour dresses that are suitable for more sombre, formal times. Sod the killer heels as well, that ship has long sailed...Like you say, choose what's right for you!

I love trench coats, I had one years ago from M&S, my parents sent me the money, it was a size 12 (which I very much am not, it was a generous cut), I replaced it with one from there again, it was the warm one with the hood, with a fleece underneath it served me nearly every day last winter apart from the very coldest of days. I tend to wear simple clothes, I have a limited pallette, sludgy colours, neutrals, navy and a little black, with coral and rust for an accent. I miss EAST, well their sales anyway!

Totally agree with that..Though I can't really say I really had any personal style, other than grab something that's clean and fits properly lol! The "Little black dress" is always on the list...Don't have one, don't want one....I've got absolutely beautiful, floaty green floral dress I wear for happy occassions! And a few darker colour dresses that are suitable for more sombre, formal times. Sod the killer heels as well, that ship has long sailed...Like you say, choose what's right for you!

I don't even want to imagine what someone would make of my wardrobe at present. I occasionally manage to make an outfit out of what I own, but I definitely don't go for a "classic" style... too many patterns for that!

What I am still looking out for is a pair of easy fit navy trousers. Mostly my trousers are straight leg or bootcut leg type stretchy pants, with elasticated waist, but definitely not like the Kim & Co or Nina Leonard leggings. I find my best success amongst the sportswear sections in Tesco and Sainsbury. I think they look smart enough for the office, and I can feel comfortable without waistbands or buttons digging in. Unfortunately most trousers are in black or charcoal grey. Where's the navy blue when you need it :mysmilie_10:

I'm a great believer that if you feel comfortable and good about yourself in your clothes, that will show in your demeanour. Same way that wearing shoes that feel comfortable and supportive affects you.

I have sometimes asked friends and colleagues what they think of my clothing choices, and hopefully some of them are not just being polite when they say I look well put together. Maybe (like so many women) I'm just too hard on myself. We all need to give ourselves a break!

A lot of my trouble is having a lot of clothes of only a fraction I actually wear. I'm hoping that doing things this way I'll get good wear out of everything I have. I'm not a great lover of patterns, though I do like florals and I have a couple of lovely floral dresses that I don't intend to throw as they're occassion wear. The less you've got the easier to find an outfit, the stuff won't be get crowded and creased. Does sound like you're being hard on yourself, especially since people have commented that you look well presented. Haven't had a compliment on my clothing for a long time as there's not much to be said about a pair of leggings tucked into Ugg boots and a hoodie. Like I said they'll still have their place but if I'm going out anywhere or meeting friends for coffee, I think I'll aim for a more stylish look. Very true about your demeanour when you feel good in the clothes you wear. Next purchase is gonna be a decent pair of jeans, preferably those that look better with age..I have a couple of pairs and they're ok but not greatly comfortable. Wish I still had my 1980's Levis..don't know what happened to them! Gonna have to save up for a new pair as they cost a bomb! No rush, it's still summer!

A lot of my trouble is having a lot of clothes of only a fraction I actually wear. I'm hoping that doing things this way I'll get good wear out of everything I have. I'm not a great lover of patterns, though I do like florals and I have a couple of lovely floral dresses that I don't intend to throw as they're occassion wear. The less you've got the easier to find an outfit, the stuff won't be get crowded and creased. Does sound like you're being hard on yourself, especially since people have commented that you look well presented. Haven't had a compliment on my clothing for a long time as there's not much to be said about a pair of leggings tucked into Ugg boots and a hoodie. Like I said they'll still have their place but if I'm going out anywhere or meeting friends for coffee, I think I'll aim for a more stylish look. Very true about your demeanour when you feel good in the clothes you wear. Next purchase is gonna be a decent pair of jeans, preferably those that look better with age..I have a couple of pairs and they're ok but not greatly comfortable. Wish I still had my 1980's Levis..don't know what happened to them! Gonna have to save up for a new pair as they cost a bomb! No rush, it's still summer!

Yes, I think the capsule wardrobe is a great achievement, and goes along very well with decluttering. I find whenever I have a wardrobe cull, the clothes that remain get a lot more attention, and I can store them in a way which stresses the fibres less. I did Marie Kondo everything a year or so ago, and folding t-shirts, trousers, nightwear, socks and underwear has saved a massive amount of space and the clothes are holding up better.

All my holiday wardrobe fits in a separate set of drawers - so I can just empty the drawers into a suitcase as the clothes are ready-folded. It means I know where to go if I want to wear holiday wear when I'm at home too...

But recent purchases have not been followed by clothes leaving the house, so another review is coming up. I still think I'll be looking very hard at the Casual & Co Denim Jacket TSV. I have a light wash blue denim jacket, but I fancy a white one, and there is one in there. I'll take my measurements ready for launch day.
In the meantime, I'm going through all the hanging rails, drawers and even the laundry basket to make sure that anything that doesn't feel good, and make me feel good goes the distance.

I'm even going to try and see how many outfits I can make out of what I own.

Next the shoes beckon.... I dread it, but I've put it off long enough now.

Starting to get really ruthless now and have thrown away a whole bunch of scruffy clothes which if I'm honest I've no excuse for..bobbly old stretched cardis, misshapen dresses, trousers and calf length pants all made from tshirt material..Also donated some decent stuff, but stuff I've never worn, or won't wear again. Capsule all the way from now on...Ok I've still got a bit of buying to do, but no rush, don't really need to rush out and buy winter stuff now. When I'm done I plan to have a basic capsule for all seasons (pretty much the stuff I've just bought) one for high summer/festivals/holidays etc which will be small stuff like shorts and camisoles etc and they won't take up a lot of hanger/drawer space and summer dresses and of course occassion wear. When it comes to summer dresses I like vintage or vintage style. Today I put on one of my vintage summer dresses, I felt great in it as I went down town to do a few errands. It dawned on me that it didn't take any more effort to put on a nice dress, than it would to bung on leggings and a top, or grab a sloppy old tshirt dress, or scruffy old skirt and top from the drawer and I didn't have to go out hoping I don't bump into anyone I know, or haven't seen for ages lol!....I realise that there are times when old scruffy clothes are a good idea...going on walks, helping someone with decorating, gardening etc..so I'm holding onto a few faithful leggings and sweatshirts. But my new rules now say...Don't buy anything made from tshirt material, unless it's an actual t-shirt, or nightwear. If you're buying from a shop...try it on first! If it's been ordered online and it doesn't fit properly or look nice, send it right back. Today my donation bag included 3 brand new items with tags - crazy isn't it?

Donated yet another bag full of clothes as I came home from work yesterday to find another charity shop donation bag put through the letterbox and managed to fill it...I even put in a pair of decent trainers, they're those " fitness ones" I found them awkward to walk in, doubt if they actually did anything to promote fitness and they made my feet look like boats! Hardly worn. Found a couple of pairs of jeans I'd bought in a factory outlet shop and remembered how when I got them home I noticed they were "low rise" so really uncomfortable and unflattering so would have to wear long tops with them...put them in the bag. It's strange how my opening a conversation about shopping for clothes has literally changed my whole attitude to the subject overnight (well almost!). Ok, the amount of unworn, still tagged clothing I've donated over the past couple of weeks wasn't bought at the same time, so it's not as though I'd have had lets say £60 to spend on one or two decent items, but it does reinforce the idea of buy cheap buy twice or should I say frequently!!! Next things I plan to invest in are a pair of jeans, Levis perhaps, and will try them on first, and decent leather cross body handbag..gonna start saving for those!

Mixed feelings today as I managed to get yet another couple of bags filled...Including a couple of dresses I'd bought for specific occassions and couldn't envisage wearing again. Tried them on in case they looked great and I'd want to keep them but one of them I couldn't even do up round the front and the other felt pretty tight round the arms. Sort of glad that I could get shot of them but wish it wasn't cause I'd put on weight! However I had to remind myself that I lost too much weight some while ago and could fit into a size 8/10. Still can fit into a 10 in certain brands, but I'm a happy size 12 or a medium nowadays and that'll do me! Not sure whether I'll achieve a true capsule, as for me 2 dresses wouldn't be enough, but I'm happy to settle for a "sort of capsule"....And so far getting an outfit together is much easier, my clothes rails look organised , not stuffed and cluttered. Still got a few things I'm thinking of parting with but not going to chuck stuff out for the sake of it! What I'm really looking forward to is to regain my disdain for fashion and clothes shopping but the big difference will be that I'll always be able to achieve a stylish well put together look without thinking about it!

I think that I've got to have a better mentality about my clothes... and that includes biting the bullet on past favourites that I won't fit into again without significant weight loss.

I've been thinking of a more streamlined wardrobe as part of decluttering.

I have friends who know exactly what is in their wardrobes, and know exactly what they need and why when they go clothes shopping. They can be disciplined because they have set budgets and a clear mission.

The only times in the past when that has been the case was when I was shopping for wedding outfits, for a busy summer with several weddings to go to where I didn't want to buy umpteen outfits. So I had a sort of mini-capsule wardrobe at that time!

I think that I've got to have a better mentality about my clothes... and that includes biting the bullet on past favourites that I won't fit into again without significant weight loss.

I've been thinking of a more streamlined wardrobe as part of decluttering.

I have friends who know exactly what is in their wardrobes, and know exactly what they need and why when they go clothes shopping. They can be disciplined because they have set budgets and a clear mission.

The only times in the past when that has been the case was when I was shopping for wedding outfits, for a busy summer with several weddings to go to where I didn't want to buy umpteen outfits. So I had a sort of mini-capsule wardrobe at that time!

I think that's the best I can aim for really...got an occasion?...got an outfit...no stress! Not an occassion...just a coffee or an errand, still going to go out looking well put together and failing disaster, with a spring in your step and smile on your face!

I think that's the best I can aim for really...got an occasion?...got an outfit...no stress! Not an occassion...just a coffee or an errand, still going to go out looking well put together and failing disaster, with a spring in your step and smile on your face!

I'm gradually trying to make sure that most of the things I buy have at least some interchangeability.

The last time I had a skirt I didn't feel frumpy in was part of that wedding haul about 30 years ago. It was a high-risk skirt. A wrap-around skirt held together by 2 buttons on the waistband, which became a simple long column of heavy dark blue fabric. It was sleek and elegant, never needed ironing, draped beautifully, and I loved wearing it. Then I put on weight, and it had to go!:mysmilie_512:

Latest posts

Back