More Used Goods!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
I vowed before, never to buy certain things from Q in the past and this is why. I plumped for a Bare Minerals palette of eye shadows as a gift for someone. It arrived this morning but clearly looks as though someone else's hands have been all over it first. There is a sticky round mark on the front of the box where there must have been some sort of peel-off label. The back of the box is torn halfway across from the flap where it has been opened and there is a layer of a sort of spongy packing material that is also torn and crumpled up. I don't know if it would have one, but there was no hint of any seal. To be fair, the shadows themselves don't appear to have been touched but I can't believe this would have looked like this were it 100% brand new. QVC should not let them back out of their warehouse in such a shocking condition when sold as new! Now the hassle of sending it back, which will no doubt show on their system as my fault.

I think I'll stick to the ones I use - Makeup Revolution that cost £4 from Superdrug. Don't know why I didn't just get those in the first place! Recommended by someone on here, good value, lots of colours and good staying power.

This is probably the main reason why after being a QVC customer for twenty years I closed my account two years ago, over the years, I had my fair share of returns paying full price for second hand goods, but before I closed it four out of the last five things I ordered were visible retuns, so that was it. Customer Service will tell you, no! Insist! that they don't send out returned or used beauty products which we all know, as do they, that's a load of BS.

Last edited:
This is disgusting of QVC, I also had a Judith Williams magic foundation duo where one of the tubes arrived smeared in the foundation and the other tube sealed with foil protection. Ever since then I normally go for a beauty TSV or new stock item to ensure that I get a fresh and unused product as otherwise it may have been sitting in the warehouse for ages or used.

Where is health and safety in all this?

Bollox to Health & Safety. People don't want secondhand sh*t touted as new. I think QVC are in financial difficulty and trying to cut costs by send out stuff they should scrap.

Bollox to Health & Safety. People don't want secondhand sh*t touted as new. I think QVC are in financial difficulty and trying to cut costs by send out stuff they should scrap.

Sorry to disappoint you Julius but according to QVC'S latest financial postings they made somewhere in the region of $8 Billion last year. Of which QVCuk contributed $730 million.

Although as an interesting side note they just paid $2.4 billion for a Groupon type lifestyle site called "ZULILY" primarily aimed at 18-35 yr old females and the pink £, which is seriously losing money left, right and centre.

This has got a lot of financial people seriously scratching their heads because QVC doesn't carry products or brands that appeal to that demographic. Let's be honest can you realistically see an 18yr old walking around in Any of the "fashion" QVC sells. So unless they are planning tie ups or a major shift in products and ranges it doesn't really make a lot of sense

So I expect you will be seeing more rises in postage and pricing to cover the purchase cost. After all it won't come out the profits or shareholders pockets, customers pick up cost like this, just look at the English Premiership if you need an example.

In relation to returns, I read in a business journal the QVC relies on the fact that 7 out of 10 customers don't return products they are not satisfied with, mostly due to postage costs. So as long as they are not breaking the law, they will just keep sending out returns, no matter the condition, because the chances are that a customer somewhere along the line will just end up keeping it, as returning it would be to much hassle for them.

I certainly return goods if I'm not happy with them but, thankfully, none of the things I've ordered have been used or worn. If I did ever receive used goods then Cs would get a phone call and the CEO would get an email. It's disgraceful!

So as long as they are not breaking the law, they will just keep sending out returns, no matter the condition, because the chances are that a customer somewhere along the line will just end up keeping it, as returning it would be to much hassle for them.
When I received my used goods they sent me a prepaid label and refunded the postage, so returning shouldn't cost the customer anything... as long as they can convince CS that they received used goods, there's always a disbelief, but to be honest, it must be very embarrassing for the person on the other end of the line.
Do you remember when QVC used to boast about their quality check? I haven't heard this in ages now.

When I received my used goods they sent me a prepaid label and refunded the postage, so returning shouldn't cost the customer anything... as long as they can convince CS that they received used goods, there's always a disbelief, but to be honest, it must be very embarrassing for the person on the other end of the line.
Do you remember when QVC used to boast about their quality check? I haven't heard this in ages now.

I'm totally with yourself, if I received something that was used or damaged cs would certainly hear from me, but if you look at the amount of reviews on QVC's website from people complaining about getting stuff that's clearly been previously used, that has arrived damaged, or who have been misled on clothes sizing, or whose Kipling bag is actually Bright green not dark blue, whose foundation is umpaloompa orange rather than beige, whose expensive NN flannel bedding is a nightmare to use because it sheds fluff everywhere, complaining that stuff doesn't do what it was claimed it could do, about kitchen electricals that break down after a few weeks, who then go onto say, they have just chucked it in the bin, gave it to the charity shop or to someone else, stuck it in a cupboard or spare room never to see the light of day again, I think you would be truly shocked.

Unfortunately this is exactly the type of response from the customer that they rely on, the one where the customer finds picking up the phone to complain is for whatever reason just to much hassle, they would rather just chalk it up to experience and lose the money than cause a fuss by complaining.

But I wonder if these people would demonstrate the same attitude if QVC was bricks and mortar on the high street. I highly doubt it.

Should all garments have brand swing tickets on? I recently bought a top nothing special just a stretchy tunic type ..no swing ticket and the tissue paper looked dirty and crumpled .... yes you do think is it worth the hassle of returning it ..especially if you are like me and have to get someone else to take it to the PO for you!

My experience of CS has always been good. Most if my returns are items I just don't like or clothes that don't fit. But the occasional item I have returned due to being used or faulty CS have always sent a pre paid label and refunded the original postage. The last thing I returned was a top advertised as white which was actually cream. CS believed me and refunded everything. But maybe my experience is unusual. They must do something with all the returns...

This is disgusting of QVC, I also had a Judith Williams magic foundation duo where one of the tubes arrived smeared in the foundation and the other tube sealed with foil protection. Ever since then I normally go for a beauty TSV or new stock item to ensure that I get a fresh and unused product as otherwise it may have been sitting in the warehouse for ages or used.

I've noticed this too on a couple of things but put it down to carriage or sitting in store etc!! Sometimes the tops of the bottles are loose or slightly cracked. I will be looking much more now, as this has made me think!! :mysmilie_10:

Should all garments have brand swing tickets on? I recently bought a top nothing special just a stretchy tunic type ..no swing ticket and the tissue paper looked dirty and crumpled .... yes you do think is it worth the hassle of returning it ..especially if you are like me and have to get someone else to take it to the PO for you!

I shop in Next a lot and they change the labels on returned items and the paper, as I had a dress with a brown stain on it, but well packed. I didn't mind just went to she shop and returned it, was a bit worried that they may blame me for the stain but they didn't notice it.

Any clothes that I've bought have always had a swing label on. And after reading posts on this forum in the past, I always give clothes a cursory sniff when I take them out of the bag. So far I've been lucky because they've all smelt new without the added addition of someone else's perfume etc.

I'm quite shocked at how often I've read others similar comments and now yours, Moth. It seems that a lot of people have come on here talking about receiving make up or skin care items that look "recycled", shall we say. I cannot understand how a reputable organisation could ever allow this to occur, especially in these days of elf n' safety-pin awareness - surely someone checks these items first, preferably before they are despatched to other unsuspecting customers and don't just bung used, damaged or tampered with goods back on the shelf? Q presenters are always rambling on about "give it as a gift to your local/police officer/dustman/lollipop lady" etc. Well, that gift would go down well, wouldn't it?
I vowed before, never to buy certain things from Q in the past and this is why. I plumped for a Bare Minerals palette of eye shadows as a gift for someone. It arrived this morning but clearly looks as though someone else's hands have been all over it first. There is a sticky round mark on the front of the box where there must have been some sort of peel-off label. The back of the box is torn halfway across from the flap where it has been opened and there is a layer of a sort of spongy packing material that is also torn and crumpled up. I don't know if it would have one, but there was no hint of any seal. To be fair, the shadows themselves don't appear to have been touched but I can't believe this would have looked like this were it 100% brand new. QVC should not let them back out of their warehouse in such a shocking condition when sold as new! Now the hassle of sending it back, which will no doubt show on their system as my fault.

I think I'll stick to the ones I use - Makeup Revolution that cost £4 from Superdrug. Don't know why I didn't just get those in the first place! Recommended by someone on here, good value, lots of colours and good staying power.

Last edited:
Personally, I think everything that QVC (and maybe other shops too) sell should be shrink wrapped with the manufacturers logos on. Anything that isn't wrapped when returned can't then be sold on as new and there is no disputing the point. I know it'll never happen as some brands aren't even security sealed.

Moth if not happy just ask CS for return label and tell them why, I've never been refused. They might even arrange a Hermes pick up for your item.

Great that the presenters bang on about how wonderful the stuff is, and how much you will notice the difference (yes, and perhaps not in a good way). Some basic attention to necessity of observing hygiene precautions with every product might be a good customer service move - is it really worth the risk of seemingly 'recycling' when they are making megabucks anyway, as their financial results seem to prove? I don't buy from Q any more, but if I'd received anything that looked as though it had already been used or tampered with, it would be last time they got a penny from me.

Personally, I think everything that QVC (and maybe other shops too) sell should be shrink wrapped with the manufacturers logos on. Anything that isn't wrapped when returned can't then be sold on as new and there is no disputing the point. I know it'll never happen as some brands aren't even security sealed.

I've recently been ordering some of the Flora Mare range - which is really good incidentally. All of their products that I have received come with an inner seal inside the jar, which is then boxed, and the box shrink wrapped. And the set I've just purchased was really well packaged too - in a plain box with a label on the outside which suggested to me that it was packed in Germany and not packed by QVC themselves.

Latest posts

Back