Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Vienna you are completely spot on. TBH I often find myself falling into those categories myself. Every so often I tidy up the room where I keep all my totally unnessaries for life and the first thing I say is "I do NOT need another handbag/piece of jewellery" and I'm on the waggon for a while and then I have a bad week and say I'll treat my self to something off eBay because it's cheaper than Q.

In my defence (how's that for a defensive answer to a fault) it's totally my own money which I have to take a weeks shite to earn, I don't owe anything and there are loads of things I don't spend a penny on, which others buy on a weekly basis. But in my heart of hearts I know I don't need them and it is to fill a gap.

How's that for a confession!

LATI you`re not the only one but thankfully my foray into buying too much of everything lasted a fairly short while. It was after my first hubby died, all the kids had left home, I was lonely, grieving, in a job which drained me and I filled my life with "stuff" but one day i asked myself was it actually making me feel better or changing my life for the better and the answer to both questions was a huge big NO.
I wasn`t knocking anybody, in fact i was speaking from experience in a large part of my last post but I did finally come to my senses, thankfully after a fairly short while and since then I`ve worked hard never to fall back into my old ways. Spending money whether I could afford it or not and i could afford it but know some people can`t, is a habit just like any other and when I look back how much I spent on things I didn`t need and just how much of it I rarely used, in fact when I moved house there were lots of things I`d NEVER used, it was a real eye opener.

Lots of posts on fakebook about Yong Kim fashion today. Most saying how hideous the clothes look, someone has posted a picture of Fred Flintstone and Barney "modelling" the clothes :mysmilie_17:
Ingrid Tarrent seems to have said that a mink would make a nice fur hat too. She definitely suffers from foot in mouth disease

We all can fall into the habit of shopping "just because...." And the reasons will vary from one person to the next. I did a survey thingy on the BBC website and it says I'm an emotional shopper... Can't disagree. I do have willpower, but just not all the time! This morning - just after midnight - I thought the current TSV would be a great birthday pressie for my brother. Before I jumped to the phones I did a quick google... It doesn't even rate a mention in most tests of the best waterless car cleaner... And I remembered buying a different kit which will do just as well! That was a good moment... But I've been holiday shopping elsewhere this weekend and spent a fair bit anyway! At least I know I'll use the holiday stuff in the next two months, though.

I suppose at least now I make a conscious decision, and I try to keep my QVC spending low-level.

Lots of posts on fakebook about Yong Kim fashion today. Most saying how hideous the clothes look, someone has posted a picture of Fred Flintstone and Barney "modelling" the clothes :mysmilie_17:
Ingrid Tarrent seems to have said that a mink would make a nice fur hat too. She definitely suffers from foot in mouth disease

I had to go take a look - what in the name of all that is good and holy is going on with those trousers, ****** HIDEOUS?!?!?

When I am in contential Europe I see lots of ladies (young and older) wearing these type of trousers and clothes.

However - they are very slim (seem to walk everywhere and smoke for Europe), naturally tanned and if any make up very natural looking, flat shoes/sandals so seem to be able to wear them with a natural panache.

It's not quite the same with an anorak or woollen cardie!

On the subject of these ladies who seem to wear their hair in a casual manner whereas UK woman seem to favour the structured helmet look. Fearne Cotton (in the younger age group) has that Veronica Lake helmet or in Q terms it's spaniel ears helmet or Ruth L no style at all hamlet. Even longer styles as in Miss Julia or Carla L seem to be structured or else it's the mess that Pipa thinks is modern. Why do we favour the poker straight blond look of Jill Franks. - I see it everywhere from 14 to 64.

Agree Vienna, the wailing and virtual sobbing at TSVs not being on easy pay is to be honest rather alarming. The endless why is it not on easy pay, I would have bought (more than one usually), if it had been on easy pay. The trying to out do each other on how many usually Elemis TSVs on easy pay is very weird. I buy on easy pay but these days have made a decision, will I actually use all the products in the TSV? In the old days, I used to buy whatever beauty TSV without a thought and just gave away bits I did not like or really wanted. Not now.

I love seeing the new colours from brands for Spring, Summer releases and used to buy this and that. Now I seem to have become more grown up or wary, look at the stuff in real life and think, no its boring or I have stuff very similar at home. Becoming a ditherer is wonderful thing, stopping to think do I really want it? Well actually I will nose Ebay for deals and have got great bargains for cosmetics, some are used in photo shots and never used, why not buy? Perhaps the term should be jaded, I have become more and more jaded with the brands on QVC.

I liked Tarte but colour of the palettes are so similar to each other what is the point? The prices have gone up, no such thing as a inexpensive beauty brand on QVC now. Some offer big pots but no good if they are highly perfumed and break people out.

I also see the weeping and wailing that Q Uk do not do 6 EP as US (due to credit regulations).

Imagine trying to keep track of dozens on 6EP. You would still be paying for stuff which was used up months ago!

It's one thing for something like an expensive electrical item you will use for years but candles or cream?

Think most of us agree that we shop to make us feel good and especially when we are feeling a bit down!

Been there in my younger days but thankfully I am much more thrifty now and only buy what I need! This actually makes me happier now, as I know i haven't wasted money on stuff that will sit in drawers or cupboards and never be used! Careful Shopper now :mysmilie_14:

I am mainly profligate when it comes to Yankee Candles. I was a bit hopeless with beauty TSVs but made myself catalogue the stash so I didn't just automatically buy another if I already had too much. This has in fact worked quite well! Not 100%, obvs. When I go down the DHS though I ALWAYS have a shopping list and hardly ever go off-piste.

I also see the weeping and wailing that Q Uk do not do 6 EP as US (due to credit regulations).

Imagine trying to keep track of dozens on 6EP. You would still be paying for stuff which was used up months ago!

It's one thing for something like an expensive electrical item you will use for years but candles or cream?

I saw the comment about 6EPs for the Dyson hairdryer. I felt like suggesting the lady in question just saves up to buy it or saves up for 2 or 3 months so she can afford it on 4EPs. Saying you can't afford something unless it's on EP is nonsense as the price is the same whether it's split over 4 months or paid in one go.

I am mainly profligate when it comes to Yankee Candles. I was a bit hopeless with beauty TSVs but made myself catalogue the stash so I didn't just automatically buy another if I already had too much. This has in fact worked quite well! Not 100%, obvs. When I go down the DHS though I ALWAYS have a shopping list and hardly ever go off-piste.

"Profligate", ha ha ha!

Listing my beauty products has been very helpful for me too. Not only does it help me realise I don't need another set containing a face cream, say, when I already have 4 in stock, but it also helps me make sure I use up the oldest first.

I saw the comment about 6EPs for the Dyson hairdryer. I felt like suggesting the lady in question just saves up to buy it or saves up for 2 or 3 months so she can afford it on 4EPs. Saying you can't afford something unless it's on EP is nonsense as the price is the same whether it's split over 4 months or paid in one go.

And still she said, "Well catalogues can do more than 4 easy payments." PMSL It had to be explained to her about credit checks and interest as done in the UK compared to the US. Some think easy pay is some magical thing which means they can buy the universe because they really really really need and want it. Oh and its different as you only think you owe each easy pay and not have to think about the full amount.

I have heard DF pushing the you only pay the £12 etc to get this whatever countless times.

Its £299 in Boots and I think that is the RRP in the UK. OOPs! Seems its £299.99 but there is a choice of colour!!!

http://www.boots.com/dyson/dyson-dy...act&product=&gclid=CIr_iZDA39ICFRONGwodzmgEZg

You can if you really really really really cannot wait until May, buy it in easy pay instalments direct from Dyson UK. Now there is interest added but since its such a desired object and you worry about missing it on QVC buy it that way. Or save up and go to Boots and get loads of points on your Boots card.

If you can time it right in Boots and get it on a triple point days you will get £36 in points. I did that when I bought my IPL but only by luck. It was £299 instead of £450 (I think) then I got the points to send at a later date making it an even better buy.

Personally, I can't justify the cost of the Dyson hairdryer as I hardly ever use one and I'm happy with what I have, but if anyone's interested, I received a voucher with my receipt in Boots the other day announcing an Advantage Card event next week - seems this is an offer everyone can take advantage (no pun intended) of as it doesn't say you need a voucher or code for the offer. Next Thursday, 23rd, you get 1000 Advantage points (£10) for every £50 you spend, like they do in the run-up to Christmas. If you are after the Dyson hairdryer and spend a couple of pence extra to take it over the £300, you will get £60 of points.

I find the hunger people have to spend money quite sad at times. Don`t get me wrong I`m not totally tight or anti retail spending but some people seem to want more and more and more, never satisfied, always hankering for the newest, latest, most expensive etc and I have to ask myself why ?
Are lives so shallow the only thing people have to look forward to is buying stuff ? Do we live in a World where we feel we have to constantly reward ourselves just for getting through a day, week or year ? The cat`s died, I`ve had a hard day at work, I`ve got the flu, little Tommy passed his 5 times table, the Mother in law is visiting, had a row with hubby and so and so on and so I need to buy something to either celebrate or commiserate.
There must be houses literally groaning under the weight of "stuff" whether it be candles, handbags, cosmetics, clothes or whatever and it must be scary if or when some people dare to add up the cost. Every so often I daresay people have a clear out but every item they bin, donate or give away has cost attached to it, whether they bought the item 2 weeks ago or 2 years ago but what pleasure did it actually give them if it`s been stuck in a cupboard or at the back of a wardrobe ?
I suppose I`m writing a long winded answer to myself why I see people on facebook lamenting how they can`t afford something and hoe they`re gutted or begging for the new dyson hairdryer to appear or adding yet another easy pay to their monthly outgoings and I can`t help but think that the World won`t end, nobody has died and have they nothing more important to think about or is that just me ?

I went to visit a close friend and her hubby yesterday, she broke her back falling downstairs last year and still cannot work properly, she has worked all of her life up till now and has been forced to sell her house and has no equity after 20 years because she now has to live off hubbies earnings. I asked her what it was like to go from a semi to a bungalow and sort through years of stuff. She's not a massive spender by any means but she is like most of us here, buys this and that of what she likes. She said it was awful, so much junk that you cannot sell on, it all had to be thrown or given away. I feel that it's all is a waste of money and the scales have truly lifted for me too over the past couple of years when it comes to QVC. I haven't purchased since last year and I only purchased twice. BUT I confess, I was a little like some of those FB followers but only a little. Life has priorities, you just don't know what is round the corner- me and my friend alone are proof of that, I am still in remission for cancer and still another year for the all clear. These FB binlids need a wake up call and to live in the real word-(as do QVC.)

I think you do eventually wake up and realize what is important in life! Yes, nice to treat yourself to a new lippy or a nice bath soak occasionally!

Some of these Fakebookers seem to buy everything and more than one most of the time too! Words fail me but each to their own and it just seems like the need for greed! :mysmilie_5:

I think you do eventually wake up and realize what is important in life! Yes, nice to treat yourself to a new lippy or a nice bath soak occasionally!Some of these Fakebookers seem to buy everything and more than one most of the time too! Words fail me but each to their own and it just seems like the need for greed! :mysmilie_5:
I think society in general has become a want it now.........must have it....finance based culture.Have it all now and pay (or not! !)later.Some of us eventually learn what is important in life whilst enjoying an occasional treat.Others will always have to have everything-even if they really cannot afford it and sometimes to the detriment of things they should prioritise.

That's why the world is in such a mess! The need for greed and material things and Fakebook just highlights this and it's disgusting! Don't get me started on the Freeloaders too? Who needs and wants all these products? :mysmilie_11:

Latest posts

Back