Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just don't start about the Dyson hairdryer and you will be ok:mysmilie_17:

When they do bring the Dyson hairdryer which is $399 (£322 ) on the US site , there`ll be people lamenting why it can`t be on 6 easy pays like it is over there. Lots of moaning and groaning about how they really really want it but can`t afford it blah blah and people exclaiming how gutted they are and how life is just so unfair !

£322 for a hair dryer?! :mysmilie_15: Time costs nothing, that's what dries my hair and if I haven't got any time, my £35 one does the job perfectly. I don't know, what's that old saying? a fool and their money are soon parted? or something like that. :mysmilie_17:

I don't need a new hairdryer. I went into such a panic when they announced/rumoured that the EU had banned the higher speed dryers that I immediately bought two in case my old one broke. It hasn't!!!!

Its £299 in Boots and I think that is the RRP in the UK. OOPs! Seems its £299.99 but there is a choice of colour!!!

http://www.boots.com/dyson/dyson-dy...act&product=&gclid=CIr_iZDA39ICFRONGwodzmgEZg

You can if you really really really really cannot wait until May, buy it in easy pay instalments direct from Dyson UK. Now there is interest added but since its such a desired object and you worry about missing it on QVC buy it that way. Or save up and go to Boots and get loads of points on your Boots card.

At the end of the day its a hair dryer! Yes, the thing that dries your hair. I don't care if its balanced in your hand and came top of a survey of best hair dryers(no doubt a paid ad, and or give free to try), unless your name is Rapunsel(sp) why the hell are you spending that? Is the the hype? The desire to show you have the money to buy it?

If you can time it right in Boots and get it on a triple point days you will get £36 in points. I did that when I bought my IPL but only by luck. It was £299 instead of £450 (I think) then I got the points to send at a later date making it an even better buy.

I remember in her Guardian article Sali Hughes being fairly underwhelmed with what it achieves versus its price.

Gosh, my Master Blaster that I use for the dogs didn't cost that much & that will blow you into the middle of next week!
Myself, I'm still using my old Pifco hairdryer that I've had since I was in my teens so it's nearly fifty years old & still going strong.

Its £299 in Boots and I think that is the RRP in the UK. OOPs! Seems its £299.99 but there is a choice of colour!!!

http://www.boots.com/dyson/dyson-dy...act&product=&gclid=CIr_iZDA39ICFRONGwodzmgEZg

You can if you really really really really cannot wait until May, buy it in easy pay instalments direct from Dyson UK. Now there is interest added but since its such a desired object and you worry about missing it on QVC buy it that way. Or save up and go to Boots and get loads of points on your Boots card.

At the end of the day its a hair dryer! Yes, the thing that dries your hair. I don't care if its balanced in your hand and came top of a survey of best hair dryers(no doubt a paid ad, and or give free to try), unless your name is Rapunsel(sp) why the hell are you spending that? Is the the hype? The desire to show you have the money to buy it?

With the length of time she has waited and pleaded for it she could have more than saved for it and as you say all those Boots points spent on even everyday things would be an actual saving.

I hate Dyson vacuums with a vengeance.
My dad has one & it's the bane of my life when I go to clean for him. Worst vacuum I've ever used & the tools set up drives me nuts. Give me my Henry & my Hoover pet vac any day.....and his Dyson cost more than my two put together!

Quite a few people are asking about the models Tanya, Sharon and Goody. Seen at least 1 post a day about them this week on fakebook.
Just struck me as a bit odd. Wondering if it's their agents trying to get them more work or something :mysmilie_17:

They reviewed some hairdryers on that Shop well for Less programme the other day. They were seeing if cheaper is better than expensive, and hairdressers were trying them in their salon.
Interestingly, Dyson came top, a Nicky Clarke one second (about £45) a couple of others after that, and a cheap Tresemme one came last.

I still think you would be mad to buy that Dyson one.

I tried my friend's last year and loved it. I have the world's most difficult hair plus a dodgy arm, so it being fast, light and well-balanced made a huge difference to me. My friend got it on a pre-Black Friday event at Boots with triple points on top of a 10% off voucher. Whenever I visit, I wash my hair there and use it :happy:Still overpriced, but it doesn't stop me lusting over it.

In the meantime, my teeny Ego Trip will have to do.

£322 for a hair dryer?! :mysmilie_15: Time costs nothing, that's what dries my hair and if I haven't got any time, my £35 one does the job perfectly. I don't know, what's that old saying? a fool and their money are soon parted? or something like that. :mysmilie_17:

Seriously, who would buy this? Ok maybe Dyson die hard fans would, but come on! My local HS shop has fantastic reductions on Baby Bliss, Vidal Sasson and all advertising new technology and all under £30! Who's the fool :mysmilie_5:

Seriously, who would buy this? Ok maybe Dyson die hard fans would, but come on! My local HS shop has fantastic reductions on Baby Bliss, Vidal Sasson and all advertising new technology and all under £30! Who's the fool :mysmilie_5:

You'd be surprised. I've seen lots of posts on FB from ladies who have bought it.

What's a HS shop? My brain doesn't want to do anything more than co-ordinate my tea to my mouth this morning.

High Street shop. Or the Dreaded high Street as Chuntley says when she is hyperventilating at the very thought that anyone would dare to shop outside Q.

I find the hunger people have to spend money quite sad at times. Don`t get me wrong I`m not totally tight or anti retail spending but some people seem to want more and more and more, never satisfied, always hankering for the newest, latest, most expensive etc and I have to ask myself why ?
Are lives so shallow the only thing people have to look forward to is buying stuff ? Do we live in a World where we feel we have to constantly reward ourselves just for getting through a day, week or year ? The cat`s died, I`ve had a hard day at work, I`ve got the flu, little Tommy passed his 5 times table, the Mother in law is visiting, had a row with hubby and so and so on and so I need to buy something to either celebrate or commiserate.
There must be houses literally groaning under the weight of "stuff" whether it be candles, handbags, cosmetics, clothes or whatever and it must be scary if or when some people dare to add up the cost. Every so often I daresay people have a clear out but every item they bin, donate or give away has cost attached to it, whether they bought the item 2 weeks ago or 2 years ago but what pleasure did it actually give them if it`s been stuck in a cupboard or at the back of a wardrobe ?
I suppose I`m writing a long winded answer to myself why I see people on facebook lamenting how they can`t afford something and hoe they`re gutted or begging for the new dyson hairdryer to appear or adding yet another easy pay to their monthly outgoings and I can`t help but think that the World won`t end, nobody has died and have they nothing more important to think about or is that just me ?

Latest posts

Back