Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I can get all this information online (if I so desired) and don't need to be on Fakebook! I appreciate it works for some people!

Think I will stick to phoning and texting my real friends, thanks!!!!!! :mysmilie_3:

Hell, I love Facebook! Aside from the (relatively trivial) 'stalking exes' aspect I mentioned in a previous thread, it's also invaluable in bringing to my attention stuff I'd never know about if it wasn't for the pages I follow posting about said stuff - ranging from silly things like a new Korean zombie film to reading about a humanitarian crisis somewhere in the world I'd never heard about.

Yes, a lot of people/companies use it to promote themselves and their lifestyles/products and fair dos to them but it can also broaden your horizons and of course it allows you to keep in touch with people you may never get a chance to meet again.

Big fan :mysmilie_59:

very true i use it to connect to my profoundly big brother who lives about an hour away & can keep him updated on how mum is doing ect

You can't beat talking to someone on the telephone! Maybe Fakebook has it's uses but just not in our house! :mysmilie_48:

You can't beat talking to someone on the telephone! Maybe Fakebook has it's uses but just not in our house! :mysmilie_48:

I'm a miserable cow, Glittergirl, I hate talking on the phone :mysmilie_13:

On a more serious note though, even though I do love a bit of FB, I do despair at how isolated everyone seems to be these days - I travel by tube every day and everyone is glued to their ****** phones and don't even get me started on the b*ggers gawping at their phones whilst walking down busy streets in Central London, grrrrrrr.

Sometimes people walk like zombies! It drives me mad. And as well as the Tube, it is the same on London buses and mainline trains. But is it a London thing or the same everywhere? The latter I suspect.

Yes, I think it's the same everywhere. People on trains and buses love an excuse not to look in fellow passengers' eyes. It has long been like that (people reading magazines, papers, books before they had phones and the Internet). I don't really want to engage with other passengers myself and I often check my phone for (work) emails and texts too. But best of all I like to look around, ie out of the bus or train windows, especially in London or other places with something to look at. I think people who bury their face in a phone screen are missing so much. I definitely don't do it when walking - now that IS daft!

I am only talking about when I'm on my own here. My biggest bugbear, without a doubt, is people who are glued to their phones when in company, eg a restaurant with others, and most of all when with children. I think that's so sad. I heard on the radio that a school somewhere in the UK (probably more than one) has banned parents from using their phones when dropping off or picking up their children. Great idea! I could weep when I imagine a child running out excitedly to show mum or dad their painting and mum or dad is just too busy talking to a piece of plastic or glaring at Instagram or whatever.

Don't know enough about it but thought following people was a big part of FB?
What's the point the point in it, maybe I should join it or maybe not? :mysmilie_8:

No you follow people on Twitter. On Facebook you join in groups or friends post crap such as photos. My cousin lives in England neither of us or the rest of the family waste money phoning just put the photos of the grandchildren etc up on Facebook. I below to a few perfume groups we get codes for money off swap or sell decents of such I for one have no way of smelling in real life where I live.

My vet is on Facebook so pets found change in opening hours up straight away you know. North Down Lost and Found for pets in my area missing etc. Found very quickly, or if you find a dead pet you message they will come take it to the vet to be checked for microchip and find owner. Then of course there is the casual wandering for a nose on QVC page etc.

To me facebook is what you make it. I use it to look at certain pages, and post on pages that I am interested in, like motorsport, gardening, etc, it is nice to hear other people's views or different opinions.

I do not understand why someone wants to post on public pages the ins and outs of their life every day. There is someone on QVC's page who posts daily about what they are using, thinking, etc, and it is boring to read, and I do wonder why they do it, attention seeking maybe.

I ring my friends, but do send messages to one of my friends who lives abroad, as we find it easier to keep in touch this way due to time differences.

If facebook ended tomorrow it would not be the end of the world.

Lee Hohbein has posted:

"Black Friday is still 8 months away but don't worry, this Thursday on QVC UK it'll feel like it's arrived early!"

Hmmm, QVC's idea of Black Friday deals .... exciting! I'm looking forward to half a dozen items with 10p off.

Lee Hohbein has posted:

"Black Friday is still 8 months away but don't worry, this Thursday on QVC UK it'll feel like it's arrived early!"

Hmmm, QVC's idea of Black Friday deals .... exciting! I'm looking forward to half a dozen items with 10p off.

I wouldn't go running spending that 10p on 100 Blackjacks if I was you!!!

I think Facebook, Twitter etc are like most things in life... fine if used in moderation, and to genuinely interact with others with a shared interest, but when it becomes a substitute for interacting in real life, or to fill every minute of downtime with "something, anything" it can become negative.

One of my favourite things to do when I'm out and about is people watching. It is very sad to see couples or families being physically in the same space but with zero interaction. My favourite was a woman with two daughters with her, all of them sat at a table eating lunch, but she was on her tablet, talking and interacting solely with the person on screen, not the people who were actually with her. Now if all of them had been interacting with the absent person (son or husband) it would have made some sense to me.

I cannot help but feel concern for the damage this is doing for real life interpersonal skills. I've seen comments that in the workplace the younger generation don't deal well with face-to-face communication and respond better to emails and instant messaging... how the heck does that work?

I would hate to think that as a society, everyone is supposedly more "connected" but in reality more and more isolated. I wonder about the impact on people who have autism and social anxiety and other conditions that make it difficult to interact in the "normal" world - does it make it easier if everyone behaves in a way that distances the messiness of relationships and interactions, or does it actually make it difficult for society to function? Who will do the work which requires seeing, speaking to and interacting with other people?

I hope that there will be enough people who don't live their lives entirely on social media to maintain the glue that gives us a society... and to ensure people remain able to hear and understand that their perspectives are not the only ones, their views are not universally held, and that tolerance of difference and debate is important.

I celebrate the fact that not everyone who reads this will agree with one part/some/all of this post... that it will be read, thought about and fed back on. We don't all have the same life experiences, circumstances or backgrounds and beliefs... so disagreement can and should happen. In the discussion that arises we can find new ideas and perspectives if we are open to doing so. I wish there were more evidence of that happening in all walks of life than we can see around us at present.

Some good points but you cannot beat talking to real people in my world! It's nice to have the odd chat maybe with people you have never met, as I am sure it works for some! The Groupies seem to enjoy it?

Anyway, Back to the foundations of why I started this thread! It was the negative remarks that I read on QVC main page of Fakebook and just found it quite shocking!
Also, on reading this Forum I have learned that people follow some Presenters and are now even *Pals* with them, I will use this term very lightly as I have never made friends or know any friends or family members who have on Fakebook?

Talk about Products with Passion, pass on good news stories, give us the real deals but everything else seems nonsense and dare i say Fake! :mysmilie_3:

Is the post about the engagement ring genuine? (A) it appears to have been purchased 4 years ago in US and she is annoyed with Q UK and (b) that number is for an Eek item.

Apologies, I am very out of the loop, as I've been busy hospital visiting the last couple of weeks, and was really wanting to know what happened with Steven Corfield? I have just seen from his Twitter that he has resigned as Brand Ambassador for QVC (and also, somewhat alarmingly, that he appears to have rebranded his Twitter account as a tribute to Catherine Huntley!!) Another thread on the subject was alluded to in this thread, but I can't find anything.

I obviously have no idea what Steven's like in real life, but I don't think anyone could question his passion for his job, and I can't help feeling sorry for him that his husband's thoughtless actions have cost him his role on QVC.

Apologies, I am very out of the loop, as I've been busy hospital visiting the last couple of weeks, and was really wanting to know what happened with Steven Corfield? I have just seen from his Twitter that he has resigned as Brand Ambassador for QVC (and also, somewhat alarmingly, that he appears to have rebranded his Twitter account as a tribute to Catherine Huntley!!) Another thread on the subject was alluded to in this thread, but I can't find anything.

I obviously have no idea what Steven's like in real life, but I don't think anyone could question his passion for his job, and I can't help feeling sorry for him that his husband's thoughtless actions have cost him his role on QVC.

For the ongoing story and a copy of the message sent start in this thread at page 114, it does continue for many pages so get comfortable.

Talking of Leighton Denny, I do really really miss him! Ohh, hope I am not sounding like a Fakebook Groupie???? Please forgive :mysmilie_454:

Latest posts

Back