Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I had a friend who worked in a very high end jewellers ( Prestons of Bolton,now closed )and like she once said to me, when people are paying thousands for very expensive earrings then they certainly expect to try them on. Even their cheaper earrings which still cost hundreds were available to try but she emphasized that once tried they always cleaned them afterwards. She said they left the tried on earrings in a leather tray and once the customer had gone they cleaned them and returned them to the display stands.
I can believe what she said because I once bought a ring from there and I tried on several but the woman serving me wiped every ring with a polishing cloth before handing it to me and then wiped them again as she put rings back on the pad.
As other people have said it would be impossible to prove the earrings caused this woman`s sore ear and a reaction to the metal, dirty fingers, catching the hole with the earring or her simply being run down or off colour could cause such a thing. I daren`t sleep in earrings even expensive earrings because overnight my ear lobes become sore even with gold or platinum earrings so I only wear mine during the day and then remove them at night. Maybe the lady in question had a similar reaction ?

I wonder what happens to toothbrushes that get returned. I'd better not wonder too much though, or I'll be making myself feel sick.
Remember they used to sell pelvic floor exerciser that one inserts you know where and also under 30 day mbg? Or that LAB thingy for teeth whitening.

I wonder if the woman’s earrings were gold plated because really gold is supposed to be hypoallergenic. Saying that, it’s QVC we’re talking about so anything is possible. Never in a million years would I buy earrings from a company that allows you to return them, especially QVC, who can’t even be arsed to check a top or a bag has been used, let alone go to the time, trouble and expense of sterilising returned earrings. Oh goodness no *shudders* but that’s just me.

I wonder if the woman’s earrings were gold plated because really gold is supposed to be hypoallergenic. Saying that, it’s QVC we’re talking about so anything is possible. Never in a million years would I buy earrings from a company that allows you to return them, especially QVC, who can’t even be arsed to check a top or a bag has been used, let alone go to the time, trouble and expense of sterilising returned earrings. Oh goodness no *shudders* but that’s just me.

This is the earrings

https://www.qvcuk.com/9ct-Gold-Diam...-Hoop-Earrings.product.340132.html?sc=NAVLIST

I remember many years back one of the presenters assuring on air that all earring returned went into a clave(sp) which sterilized them.

I also remember the days when you could try on earrings in store to see if they suited. The last earrings I bought Pilgrim half price in the House of Fraser sale came out of a drawer and in a sealed plastic bag.

The woman said she was shocked that CS even admitted they sent out earrings again once returned.

So the lady with beautiful shiny silver hair is saying Percy and Reed last TSV has turned her hair to straw. She has a photo of her hair before and then a close up after three washes with Percy and Reed. She thought it was high-quality. Seems CS just told her perhaps it was just not the brand for her and refusing to give her p&p back for returning. She is saying one of the reviews is also saying their hair was like straw from using the collection. She is not happy.

Remember they used to sell pelvic floor exerciser that one inserts you know where and also under 30 day mbg? Or that LAB thingy for teeth whitening.

They still sell the 'vag grippy' !!!!! (omg hope you haven't bought!):mysmilie_11:

Hepatitis B would be my main concern. Hundreds of times more infectious and can survive on surfaces for weeks.
I don’t think the customer is after compensation, more concerned about used items being sent out by QVC. Why should we be cleaning items, washing clothes etc on receipt?

I got my job on the HIV project through working in a hospital. I saw many transvaginal scans carried out (as well as normal ones). The TVS probe would be covered with a condom, but rarely did I see it cleaned and even then it was just a quick wipe with a surface wipe. Occasionally the condom would be forgotten! The normal probes were also just given a quick wipe over between patients.

The instructions on the wipes were to be in contact with whatever surface they cleaned for a specified amount of times, depending on the bug being destroyed. Some microbes need 30 seconds contact - I'd never seen anything being wiped that thoroughly. I was quite horrified but being junior, never mentioned it. We did a regular TVS on one of the staff. She always insisted on cleaning the probe herself first. I was surprised by the casual attitude towards hygiene we never had complaints. I had a mental image of a virgin catching a STD back then and us being splashed all over the papers, but it never happened. Just my overactive imagination back then.

Many people wash clothes before wearing for the first time. Some do it as they have concerns about the hygiene of people who may have tried something on in the shop, some because they want to know how well an item washes so they can return it quickly if it falls to pieces in the wash. I always wash underwear before wearing after finding a period stain in a pair of knickers from BHS years ago.

With QVC clothes I always wash first even if I'm sure they've not been worn simply because their returns allow it and I want to see what they wash like before the 30 days are up in case I don't wear it within that time.

It's a balance between being clean and too clean. One man's sterile is another's filth.

So the lady with beautiful shiny silver hair is saying Percy and Reed last TSV has turned her hair to straw. She has a photo of her hair before and then a close up after three washes with Percy and Reed. She thought it was high-quality. Seems CS just told her perhaps it was just not the brand for her and refusing to give her p&p back for returning. She is saying one of the reviews is also saying their hair was like straw from using the collection. She is not happy.

Can't blame them. If everyone had their P&P back just because something didn't suit someone they'd go bust. I'm just glad to have the opportunity to try something (sometimes expensive that I'd never go out and pay for without giving it a go for a few weeks) and be able to return it just for the cost of postage.

She's just taking the piss.

I see Straw head female Worzel Gummidge (Jackie Kabler) is now shilling her upcoming novel on social media. I'm sure all her "best friends" on Facebook can't wait for it.

I see Straw head female Worzel Gummidge (Jackie Kabler) is now shilling her upcoming novel on social media. I'm sure all her "best friends" on Facebook can't wait for it.

Wurzle (?) Gummage ......:mysmilie_19:

Whass happened to all the emoji's? I loved my mad wtf face?

Anyone know?

I wonder if the comments & congratulations will match the level of sycophancy shown to ickle Claire recently when she announced that she had been pipped at the post, by an 'A list celebrity', who bought the house she wanted. How dreadful that she'll have to continue slumming it in a place valued at 1.3 million that has an outdoor kitchen & garden large enough for a gypsy caravan. I know this sorry tale courtesy of my nice but dim neighbour who obviously sends the majority of her salary to the Q, she's also one of Claire's insta friends...

I have just read that post. There was a P&R product in my advent calendar so I think I'm going to chuck that out having seen this! It is some kind of overnight treatment I think and they can overwhelm my hair so I was a bit dubious about using it.

Re the earrings, I have double pierced ears and the back piercing in one ear often gives me grief. It is odd, they were all done together but this one hole seems to close up on occasion and I find it really hard to get the post in! Blood is drawn! So I then look like this lady. But I would have thought you would need that type of tear in the ear to get an infection in it. But then I suppose my theory doesn't hold water because you should only use gold posts if you want to be certain there could be no adverse reaction. So what do I know? Nothing!!!

I just spent a while meandering through the FB posts. The proportion of critical posts is astonishingly high compared to a couple of years ago, isn't it? And the response comments which used to tear into people who dared to criticise the beloved Q are mainly in agreement now. How the climate has changed.

I got my job on the HIV project through working in a hospital. I saw many transvaginal scans carried out (as well as normal ones). The TVS probe would be covered with a condom, but rarely did I see it cleaned and even then it was just a quick wipe with a surface wipe. Occasionally the condom would be forgotten! The normal probes were also just given a quick wipe over between patients.

The instructions on the wipes were to be in contact with whatever surface they cleaned for a specified amount of times, depending on the bug being destroyed. Some microbes need 30 seconds contact - I'd never seen anything being wiped that thoroughly. I was quite horrified but being junior, never mentioned it. We did a regular TVS on one of the staff. She always insisted on cleaning the probe herself first. I was surprised by the casual attitude towards hygiene we never had complaints. I had a mental image of a virgin catching a STD back then and us being splashed all over the papers, but it never happened. Just my overactive imagination back then.

Many people wash clothes before wearing for the first time. Some do it as they have concerns about the hygiene of people who may have tried something on in the shop, some because they want to know how well an item washes so they can return it quickly if it falls to pieces in the wash. I always wash underwear before wearing after finding a period stain in a pair of knickers from BHS years ago.

With QVC clothes I always wash first even if I'm sure they've not been worn simply because their returns allow it and I want to see what they wash like before the 30 days are up in case I don't wear it within that time.

It's a balance between being clean and too clean. One man's sterile is another's filth.

I have always washed everything before wearing.

I wonder if the comments & congratulations will match the level of sycophancy shown to ickle Claire recently when she announced that she had been pipped at the post, by an 'A list celebrity', who bought the house she wanted. How dreadful that she'll have to continue slumming it in a place valued at 1.3 million that has an outdoor kitchen & garden large enough for a gypsy caravan. I know this sorry tale courtesy of my nice but dim neighbour who obviously sends the majority of her salary to the Q, she's also one of Claire's insta friends...

They don’t miss an opportunity to show off. If she really felt the need to share her disappointment at her offer having not been accepted that’s all she had to say. But not enough for her because by mentioning losing out to an A List celeb. she is making sure we know that she has a good deal of money too. So transparent, so predictable, so sad.

I had a look at her photos, her hair is the same colour & style as mine, if a tad shorter, but similar enough for Mr T to ask if it was me?! I can't see that her hair would be ruined by using short term products only three times. In fact one shot looked fresh from the hairdresser, one demonstrated she couldn't get the ends to lie well & the 'straw' photo just looked as though it needed a brush.

I have just read that post. There was a P&R product in my advent calendar so I think I'm going to chuck that out having seen this! It is some kind of overnight treatment I think and they can overwhelm my hair so I was a bit dubious about using it.

Re the earrings, I have double pierced ears and the back piercing in one ear often gives me grief. It is odd, they were all done together but this one hole seems to close up on occasion and I find it really hard to get the post in! Blood is drawn! So I then look like this lady. But I would have thought you would need that type of tear in the ear to get an infection in it. But then I suppose my theory doesn't hold water because you should only use gold posts if you want to be certain there could be no adverse reaction. So what do I know? Nothing!!!

I just spent a while meandering through the FB posts. The proportion of critical posts is astonishingly high compared to a couple of years ago, isn't it? And the response comments which used to tear into people who dared to criticise the beloved Q are mainly in agreement now. How the climate has changed.

I have the same kind of problem as you with one of my piercings. I've had it over 40 years and it still gives me grief. Oddly enough, I get more problems with low ct gold than I do with silver, though the only metals that I never get a problem with are 22kc gold and 950 platinum. I've even had a bit of soreness with surgical steel.

I remember when threader earrings became a big thing, QVC selling them as the in trend thing. For some reason one of my ears I just could not get the earring to go in straight no matter what I did. Actually hurt my ear opening and had to dab with TCP for a few days to get it to settle down. Never ever tried them again and returned to QVC, they were 9c white gold and pretty. So that is a style I just stay away from even though they are still around.

I had my ears pierced the day after I left 6th form, my parents & the school didn't allow it before that day. I love wearing earrings & always carry pair of pearl earrings & a nose stud in my bag in case of an emergency. I must be dim, naive or very trusting because in the past I bought many pairs of earrings from QVC & never once considered that they might be contaminated.

Latest posts

Back