Basso Fri 19th Sept

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I always understood that the rest of the cow goes for meat anyway, the skin is made into leather and suede and the same for sheep wool and skin.

I should have made my post clearer. What I meant was that I would only wear real fur if I lived in the wilds and could not clothe myself any other way and I would want the rest of that animal not to go to waste.

I see Julia Roberts is doing the 5pm show with him tomorrow. She is a vegetarian isn't she?

Yes, Julia's vegetarian. I'm always disappointed to see her condoning this man, especially as she's almost certainly got the pull at QVC to refuse. On the other hand, she does Northern Nights too... It doesn't get as much bad press as the fur trade, but the way ducks & geese are factory farmed would break your heart. As a vegetarian myself I wouldn't dream of buying feather products. I guess everyone has their own idea of what they personally find acceptable...

Last edited:
well mad sue i have learnt something today and i am ashamed as i have one of his coats but had no idear he was linked to this awfull trade. i shall give it to charity and send qvc a letter stating my disgust.

well mad sue i have learnt something today and i am ashamed as i have one of his coats but had no idear he was linked to this awfull trade. i shall give it to charity and send qvc a letter stating my disgust.

Excellent!

i have to agree with a lot of the posters on here - before the forum, i had known nothing of dennis basso or what he stood for.

i am surprised that what he does is out there in the public space but has not been picked up in a big way by anyone yet. i personally think that as soon as qvc start losing new customers ie people who have never shopped with qvc are turned off of the brand because they are aware of the association the basso will be dropped.

the more time i am with qvc the more i think they only REALLY rate new customers - retaining customers is great, but new customers is where the big money is. I know when i first joined i spent like mad, then wised up more as time wore on.

the thing that concerns me (not detracting from the basso issue) is what else is qvc doing/supporting that we are not aware of? i suspect there are some pretty shady ethics there and if they can do it for one brand in one department, i am sure they can and do it in others.

Did anyone catch the end of the repeat this AM? DIdn't realise it was murdering barsteward day until I tuned in. Anyway, he said something along the lines of how all the ladies in the UK love his styles and fashions. What a shame he's never heard of ST.com ... he'd get a right wake-up call, vile man.

Did anyone catch the end of the repeat this AM? DIdn't realise it was murdering barsteward day until I tuned in. Anyway, he said something along the lines of how all the ladies in the UK love his styles and fashions. What a shame he's never heard of ST.com ... he'd get a right wake-up call, vile man.

Hi cupcake! I think he must know, and the QVC people too, they're just keeping quiet about it, for unless they're prepared to get rid of Basso there really isn't much else they can do or say, is there?

I wish I could give mine to charity or something else, but as it was a gift from my mum I don't know what to do.

I did think of snipping out the labels like Caramelbunny suggested but if my mum see's it she may be a tad upset so I am stuck with what to do.

thats interesting. so the reasoning for wearing leather and suede is cos the meat is eaten. So does it then matter what comes first, The Flesh to eat or the Skin to Wear? If you have a leather shopping bag, is it ok to carry the dead fresh which you will eat in a bag made of its own skin?

I personally dont understand how people make the distinction.

Please dont take this as an attack, As a long standing vegetarian, I am just curious how generally distinctions are made?

I did think of snipping out the labels like Caramelbunny suggested but if my mum see's it she may be a tad upset so I am stuck with what to do.

You could tell your Mum if she asks that the label was irritating you. I cut alot of labels out of clothes because they make my neck itch - and lets face it it is irritating you and Basso is a pain in the neck!

thats interesting. so the reasoning for wearing leather and suede is cos the meat is eaten. So does it then matter what comes first, The Flesh to eat or the Skin to Wear? If you have a leather shopping bag, is it ok to carry the dead fresh which you will eat in a bag made of its own skin?

Please dont take this as an attack, As a long standing vegetarian, I am just curious how generally distinctions are made?

Well personnally, for me, it depends on the meat and the skin, so a cow or a sheep is fine as they go for meat anyway but I would never buy a mink fur or a seal fur or dog or cat fur etc etc etc even if the meat was available to eat. Thats just me and is probably really hypercritical. Then again I do only tend to eat chicken or Turkey really, Beef or Lamb at a push and I do try to buy freerange rather than caged and I would never buy Goose or duck, don't ask me why as I don't know.

Oh I didn't/wouldn't have taken it as an attack hun, it was a very good question.

You could tell your Mum if she asks that the label was irritating you. I cut alot of labels out of clothes because they make my neck itch - and lets face it it is irritating you and Basso is a pain in the neck!

Good idea I never thought of that. Thanks hun. :1:

Thank you for that RedorDead.

Whilst I abhor the inhumane practice of wearing fur ,and personally would never do so, I feel compelled to say (unpopular that it may be) , is that Basso is a business man and is only supplying a DEMAND in the fashion market .

I dont for a second agree with, or endorse his practice but am simply stating a fact.

We live in a supposedly 'free' country and it is everyones basic human right to live as they desire within the confines of the law, and should they choose to wear fur, or decide to marry a 'same sex' person for example, then that is THEIR choice and who are we to judge them for it:?:

Hi,

this may garner a few attacks, but I think that if the rest of the animal is put to good use, then I dont mind wearing the skin as leather.

I am not a vegetarian, so I have no problem wih killing animals to eat them. If I'm eating the flesh I would much rather have all the bits to be as useful as possible. I always even boil up bones etc to make soup.

I don't wear real fur, as generally people don't eat mink, fox etc. and I think to kill something just to be decorative is wrong.

However, I am often puzzled by the reaction to Dennis Basso in particular - yes, he hurts animals and it is wrong. But he seems to promote a much stronger reaction than things like unethically sourced gems, or items such as cloisonne, or hand-made clothing, which destroys peoples and childrens lives.

I suppose it is because he is a particular person who can be pointed to, but I think in the UK we often make more of a fuss over animal welfare than human beings welfare.

Personally, I deliberately buy clothes at high street stores which have long histories of ethical sourcing, such as Monsoon. And yes, it is a bit expensive, but thats because of its fare-wage fare-treatment policies.

I would be interested to know, in turn, why you appear to care more about animals? (and no, thats not an attack either, I just don't understand).

Cheers,
karen

Last edited:
I guess it's because some people are animal lovers. Those who aren't probably find it difficult to understand us.
It's just as well there are many who are, considering all the atrocities animals have to suffer at the hands of some 'humans'

Thank you for that RedorDead.

Whilst I abhor the inhumane practice of wearing fur ,and personally would never do so, I feel compelled to say (unpopular that it may be) , is that Basso is a business man and is only supplying a DEMAND in the fashion market .

I dont for a second agree with, or endorse his practice but am simply stating a fact.

We live in a supposedly 'free' country and it is everyones basic human right to live as they desire within the confines of the law, and should they choose to wear fur, or decide to marry a 'same sex' person for example, then that is THEIR choice and who are we to judge them for it:?:

Hi,

this may garner a few attacks, but I think that if the rest of the animal is put to good use, then I dont mind wearing the skin as leather.

I am not a vegetarian, so I have no problem wih killing animals to eat them. If I'm eating the flesh I would much rather have all the bits to be as useful as possible. I always even boil up bones etc to make soup.

I don't wear real fur, as generally people don't eat mink, fox etc. and I think to kill something just to be decorative is wrong.

However, I am often puzzled by the reaction to Dennis Basso in particular - yes, he hurts animals and it is wrong. But he seems to promote a much stronger reaction than things like unethically sourced gems, or items such as cloisonne, or hand-made clothing, which destroys peoples and childrens lives.

I suppose it is because he is a particular person who can be pointed to, but I think in the UK we often make more of a fuss over animal welfare than human beings welfare.

Personally, I deliberately buy clothes at high street stores which have long histories of ethical sourcing, such as Monsoon. And yes, it is a bit expensive, but thats because of its fare-wage fare-treatment policies.

I would be interested to know, in turn, why you appear to care more about animals? (and no, thats not an attack either, I just don't understand).

Cheers,
karen

I guess it's because some people are animal lovers. Those who aren't probably find it difficult to understand us.
It's just as well there are many who are, considering all the atrocities animals have to suffer at the hands of some 'humans'

Sorry twinkle I disagree.

We are avid animal lovers ,pet owners,and as we live in the country also look after wild animals too .

I maintain that it is a PERSONAL choice which everyone has a right to make, and that others have no right to pass judgement on.

Latest posts

Back