ASA Complaints Page

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think that sometimes, it's such a fast paced channel, and live, they do often trip over themselves and make mistakes...and yes before anyone says it, sometimes little white lies do come out...and that's the problem, the ASS probably would be more forgiving of 'fast paced, live' errors if it were not for the little white lies, but because they've pushed their luck it all gets treated the same.

"Little white lies"? Big steaming whopping turds more like :puke:

I know that would be the ultimate sanction/punishment a shutdown. But the ASA need to flex their muscles, I somehow think the presenters are not too terrified of the ASA, the way they carry on they think they only have to pay a bit of lip service to the ASA

The ASS don't have to power to shut them down, just moan and at the very worst dish out some very very puny fines.

I agree completley, the ASA is supposed to be a huge organisation with the powers to punish any misleading or untrue sales claims, sadly as you have said, all they have done thus far, in the face of quite strong and serious evidence was to make some lame statement and issue some really puny fines which lets face it, Bid are hardly running scared. I rather think the ASA is a bit of a joke or a figure of fun within the confines of the studios of bid/price drop. They are supposed to be protecting the consumer but they need to toughen up and issue a fine that might make them think their tactics twice.

It does seem the ASA are abit weak but atleast their involvement (thanks to great work from you guys) has caused BID to start mentioning the p&p and cost of the phone call. It isn't much but it's better than what Bid were getting away with not long ago!

My view is...I agree the ASA seem lame when it comes to sorting really bad, misleading stuff out from our view of the upheld rulings. HOWEVER...I have an open case at the moment that was so bad it was shocking. It was opened ages ago & not head a blip from the ASA about it so I will give them a little more time & of I still hear nothing I'm handing over my documentary evidence over to my MP. Hopefully that will raise the issue appropriately. I've even got the actual pics that appeared on screen for each item & there was a heck of a lot of money involved in each sale judging by the many 100's of items that were totally mis-sold in my opinion.
Like you Tri, we get annoyed that these mis-selling tactics are likley to affect the people who can least afford the items the most, hence we won't give up! We don't want the channels closed, just to clean up their act.

Last edited:
My view is...I agree the ASA seem lame when it comes to sorting really bad, misleading stuff out from our view of the upheld rulings. HOWEVER...I have an open case at the moment that was so bad it was shocking. It was opened ages ago & not head a blip from the ASA about it so I will give them a little more time & of I still hear nothing I'm handing over my documentary evidence over to my MP. Hopefully that will raise the issue appropriately. I've even got the actual pics that appeared on screen for each item & there was a heck of a lot of money involved in each sale judging by the many 100's of items that were totally mis-sold in my opinion.
Perhaps the case has been referred to Ofcom as it's a major breach (and perhaps a repeated breach as well); the ASA may deal out slaps on the wrist for minor offences but if it's a repeated offence of any significance then it could have been escalated hence the delay. Let's hope that this is the real cause as opposed to an "administrative oversight", therefore it will be very interesting to watch what happens with this one.

Don't feel sorry for the workers at these channels, especially as hundreds of shop workers have been made redundant recently so a few more won't make that much difference, and certain individuals really deserve to lose their jobs if they think that they can continue to swindle unsuspecting viewers.

The ASS don't have to power to shut them down, just moan and at the very worst dish out some very very puny fines.

We, i.e the public, are the only ones with the power to shut them down. All we have to do is stop buying from them.

Latest posts

Back