Calico Cottage Fudge, Fudge Pie & Cookie Pack Try Me Price

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thanks SCW, Glad to see Q are doing Calico fudge kits again - the fudge is absolutely gorgeous and the fudge pie yummy, not tried the cookies though.

I bought some years ago, still haven't used it all, probably out of date now (although that will not stop me).

A bit of a faff to make, the moulds were flimsy paper, and it was far too sweet for me.

I don't really like those things! Too sweet! I prefer Carrs table water biscuits and a slice of stiltonas.

I had a couple of packs of choc chip cookie mix in my cupboard from when they're were on offer at the supermarket. Betty Crocker, that American brand.
So I made up a pack at the weekend. All you do is add 2 tablespoons of water so god knows what's in them. Baked them and ate a couple warm and they were nice. Had one the next day at it was repulsive. Like eating fatty sugar. Then I remembered someone on the diet chef thread saying about hydrogenated fats and felt DISGUSTED with myself so chucked the rest along with the other unused packet.

I imagine the fudge mixes are similar. Pure sugar and fat. The fact that it has no sell by date worries me, as does the fact that if it dries out you can just reconstitute it with some more hot water. Im not a food faddy person at all but i find that repulsive.

I`ve never been tempted to buy any kind of foodstuff from Q because I`m one of those shoppers supermarkets love to hate. I poke and prod stuff, sniff it, read the labels and if I can get away with it I`ve even been known to sneakily open packets to actually look at things. Yes bad girl, very bad girl ....
I must admit I bought some cookies from Aldi the other week , chocolate chip ones and they were absolutely scrummy and just 99p. I went through a phase of making cookies, biscuits, shortbread and stuff from scratch but I didn`t have the willpower not to stuff my face with them so I stopped making them. I can honestly say I`ve never tried the packet mixes though.

I bought the Calico Cottage set a couple of years ago. I followed the instructions for the fudge and managed to produce a hard fudge with crystalised bits in it .......... not the lovely soft stuff that was on screen. I then put the unused packets in the cupboard. By the time I decided to give it another go, it was past its sell by date and so it all went into my food recycling bin.

I'm beginning to think that my failure was a subliminal message to me to forget all about 'home baking.' :wink:

Latest posts

Back