Can You Wash A Feather Bed?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Janey

Spinster of the Parish
Checked the label on mine and it says dry clean only but I thought I'd heard Suzie say they could be washed or is that just the pillows?

Does anyone have any experience of washing one?

MTIA

Oohh yes some advice on this would be great!! Am dying to clean mine but really begrudge paying dry cleaning bill for it as it cost over £120 as it is!!

the sheer size of this and the amount of filling would make washing a no no.

with pillows they are much smaller so putting them in a tumble dryer for several hours to dry them thorougly is viable.

i have a feather bed that i have had for 7 years now always used a thick matress protector on top plus of course a sheet i am ready to replace it but would never try to wash it as you would never be able to extract the water.
i just air it when t change my bed outside weather permitting and throw it away when its beyond airing!:sun:

Oohh yes some advice on this would be great!! Am dying to clean mine but really begrudge paying dry cleaning bill for it as it cost over £120 as it is!!

Barnsleylass, I had a double featherbed cleaned a couple of years ago, and it cost less that £20.00 - in London.

I have two down mattress protectors covering our king-size featherbed. To date, the featherbed has not been drycleaned, but I try to steam it and the protectors once a month, and have the down mattress protectors drycleaned once a year.

Hope this helps.

Jay

No as already said, it wouldn't fit in a washing machine/dryer, even if you took it to a launderette and used one of their huge industrial machines, I'd still be a bit wary incase you ruin it and probably by the time you've paid for it to be cleaned that way you could have got it dry cleaned anyway.

One thing though, I didn't think bedding could be dry cleaned because of the chemicals or do they use other things for bedding?

I have had mine cleaned at a launderette and my duvet at the same time, they charged me the same price for cleaning the featherbed as they did for the duvet

I think I paid £24 for both to be washed and dried

Thanks all on the advice re:dry cleaning. Shall be taking it on Monday. Thought it would cost a fortune!! as it's so big

Sam xx

Latest posts

Back