Carla Lazzlo

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I wouldn’t go on a cruise if you paid me so Carla going on about hers washes right over me.
Seconded. My elderly but adventurous parents recently decided to dip their toe into cruising. Best cabin on a prestigious ship. Their take on it? 'Don't bother, onshore time is over-shadowed by having to be constantly aware of getting back to the ship on time and the ship was full of old people moaning!'

A friend's son who is in his 30s a few years back went on a cruise with his further in laws and girlfriend. I was really, how weird a cruise? He loved it, said loads of activities wall climbing which are now in the Olympics etc. His in laws went cruising once a year and another different holiday every year

Seconded. My elderly but adventurous parents recently decided to dip their toe into cruising. Best cabin on a prestigious ship. Their take on it? 'Don't bother, onshore time is over-shadowed by having to be constantly aware of getting back to the ship on time and the ship was full of old people moaning!'
Were the old people moaning about the cruise itself, or about life in general ? I'd be happy with a short time on-shore so as to get back to the buffets.

I feel the same about the Orient Express !
I took the Orient Express from London to Venice. Many passengers dressed in 1920's outfits which was fun. However, I would judge the overall experience as over priced and uncomfortable. Mediocre food, small, hard bed, hot compartments, second rate wait staff.

I took the Orient Express from London to Venice. Many passengers dressed in 1920's outfits which was fun. However, I would judge the overall experience as over priced and uncomfortable. Mediocre food, small, hard bed, hot compartments, second rate wait staff.
Oh no!

I always dreamed of going on - to be honest it was/is probably never going to happen so more of a pipe dream!

And I’ve seen a couple of documentaries where they made it look quite magical (of course!) but I did fear the reality was not as it was made out to be!

The cost is so high and way too much food etc from what it showed on TV...

For me it was more the train, the destinations/views and the concept!

A friend's son who is in his 30s a few years back went on a cruise with his further in laws and girlfriend. I was really, how weird a cruise? He loved it, said loads of activities wall climbing which are now in the Olympics etc. His in laws went cruising once a year and another different holiday every year
I know there’s so much to do on a lot of these cruises nowadays, but I still don’t get it - why do you need to pay through the nose to go on a climbing wall, when I can go on a better one on dry land?!

Ditto most of the activities listed am sure a lot of it’s the novelty of doing it at sea...

And bc you’re stuck on the boat, they’re just trying to find ways to pass the time!

And I tend to think I would have nothing in common with the majority of people who love the idea of cruising, so wouldn’t want to spend time with them anyway?

Lastly for me, docking in to random ports for less than a day, just so you can say you’ve been/seen somewhere - when in reality you’ve probably seen very little at all is pointless to me...

And don’t get me started on the environmental impact! 😳

I would 100% rather have a base somewhere and get to know the area properly, away from tourist traps and cater for myself with real local food and choose where I go...
Then maybe hiring a boat or doing some island hopping...

I have done inter-railing a couple of times and that was a fun way to see more of Europe.
Plus now there’s air B&B - which I accept can be a very mixed bag - one can actually stay with locals, or in their environs!

(No offence to anyone who does enjoy cruising and is willing/able to pay the prices and happy with what they get for it etc!
Just not for me and I don’t think it ever will be, even in 30 years time...?!)

I never wanted to go on a cruise but Mr CC fancied one and found a cheap one (MSC, if you don't like rude Italian and Chinese people don't book with them). There were bits I didn't like, cabin was dirty on arrival, queues, no hope of getting near the pool, but on the whole we had a great time. Met some lovely people on our dinner table, two of which we are still in touch with. Mr CC was a big fan and we might do another.

For my 40th (some years ago now) we booked to go on the Orient Express from Edinburgh up to the West Coast. Mum was coming too. There was a catalogue of disasters with broken down trains/no staff/dead deer on track blah blah and it was cancelled. It WAS the most disappointing day of my life. My big birthday treat ended at the Harvester having a just OK meal :(

As for Carla, I like her, she likes her holidays but I do think presenters should keep that schtum because many folks haven't had a holiday in half a lifetime and it smacks of boasting as her holidays are always in the Caribbean.

I never wanted to go on a cruise but Mr CC fancied one and found a cheap one (MSC, if you don't like rude Italian and Chinese people don't book with them). There were bits I didn't like, cabin was dirty on arrival, queues, no hope of getting near the pool, but on the whole we had a great time. Met some lovely people on our dinner table, two of which we are still in touch with. Mr CC was a big fan and we might do another.

For my 40th (some years ago now) we booked to go on the Orient Express from Edinburgh up to the West Coast. Mum was coming too. There was a catalogue of disasters with broken down trains/no staff/dead deer on track blah blah and it was cancelled. It WAS the most disappointing day of my life. My big birthday treat ended at the Harvester having a just OK meal :(

As for Carla, I like her, she likes her holidays but I do think presenters should keep that schtum because many folks haven't had a holiday in half a lifetime and it smacks of boasting as her holidays are always in the Caribbean.
Totally agree. In fact, earlier this year I pulled my boss to one side after he'd made one too many comments about going on holiday 4 times in the space of 9 months and how it was costing him a fortune.
Luckily he's also my best mate, so I wasn't too worried when I gently mentioned to him that not everyone is as lucky as him and he might want to tone it down a bit. He genuinely no malice at all though, he did take my comments on board and kept schtum about it after that.

MSN cruise lines aren't the best, and it was one of their ships that crashed and killed a few passengers while the Captain was waving to a mate on shore.

My Orient experience was linked to a cruise. Boarded at Venice with a stop at Budapest before disembarking at Calais, then joined the Pullman for the rest of the trip to London. Its nice to say "I've done it" but like Grizzy said, it wasn't the least bit comfortable to travel, except when eating in the fabulous dining Art Deco setting. Those old enough to remember, the carriages were made of upright seats in moquette fabric with a small footstall to rest your feet. A cupboard housing a washbasin and mirror, and was only allowed to take an overnight case, because all the big uggage was stored in a separate carriage. One toilet per carriage - although it was beautifully appointed.

If you were on 6 pm dinner sit down, you would struggle to change in the small space. Then while you were away the steward would turn the seats into bunk beds with a ladder. After dinner there would be a scrum to get through the next lot who were drinking in the lounge car, and then you would be stung for 6 euros for a coke (this was 12 years ago) and 10 euros for a whisky. Back to your carriage and little else to do except go to bed. Breakfast in your carriage balanced on a small table. Then there was the stationary stops for over an hour while the train changed drivers through the different countries. Thankfully there was the overnight hotel stop in Budapest. Not many people could take more than 2 nights on the Orient Express. I did watch the David Suchet documentary on it, and noticed that he had a separate 'room' for his bed which would have made it a totally different experience, but at what cost ????

I keep trying to remember who presented the Orient programme I watched.

It was a well known female presenter or a couple, who was quite glam and you followed them from dawn to dusk across all meals, ablutions and the logistics etc!
Fascinating insight!

There was a thing on channel 4 called the world’s most famous train which I watched too not sure if I’m getting muddled!

Another friend has gone cruising twice with her husband, both times the vomiting bug hit the ship. She told me you could not step outside the cabin, but it was non-stop hand sanitizing every few feet.

The other week I got chatting to someone I know, he works in House of Fraser. So he dropped into the conversation he was going on holiday to Kos (sp) in a few weeks. Then it turned out it was his third holiday this year. I said what about the airports and flights cancelled, he said he never had a problem so far.

Another friend has gone cruising twice with her husband, both times the vomiting bug hit the ship. She told me you could not step outside the cabin, but it was non-stop hand sanitizing every few feet.

The other week I got chatting to someone I know, he works in House of Fraser. So he dropped into the conversation he was going on holiday to Kos (sp) in a few weeks. Then it turned out it was his third holiday this year. I said what about the airports and flights cancelled, he said he never had a problem so far.
Three holidays this year. House of Fraser must pay well!

He might have more than one job? I used to have 3 jobs but it was more to keep afloat than going on holiday. Saying that, I have had my fair share of trips in my life, I love to travel. It's a bit of a luxury these days sadly.

CC

Latest posts

Back