celebrity overload

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
I'm assuming that the age group of the majority of women viewers who watch Q is roughly over 45 - as I am. So why in God's name would Q think I would be impressed when the names of J-Lo and Beyonce, Sienna Miller and Patsy Kensit (to quote a few) are mentioned by AY when presenting yet another brand of cosmetics and yet another brand of nail varnish ?????

Am I supposed to bow down whenever these names are mentioned, cos as far as I'm concerned I know very little of them or care - who are they ? part time singers, actresses, or ladies who have had lots of husbands/boyfriends. I know one thing.... I have no inclination to look like any of them !!!!! so give it a rest Alison, the ones who would be impressed by this are all still at school or standing at the school gates !

We never hear the names Meryl Streep or Helen Mirren mentioned do we ! no, far to classy for Q

(and yes yes yes yes, I know she's only doing job and is there to sell, blah de blah de blah, but a change of record wouldn't go amiss)

I'm afraid Q/ Alison Young puts in all that effort and it's all wasted on me lol

I really do think its because QVC and AY are out of touch on that issue
I also really can not for the world of me think who would be impressed
with those "celebreties" anyway and want to use a product just because they say
they use it

It was when AY married her football that suddenly we got the oh Cheryl wears this, and other zelebs became important to mention when selling the products. Before in the old days it was about what the product did and who it was suitable for.

IF they use it I'll guarantee they'll never pay for it, they'll have it supplied free for life just so the manufacturers can use their names. Celebs don't make me purchase anything by their endorsement as it will always be purely for their own financial gain and is, therefore, meaningless.

Not only doesn't it impress me it makes me quite angry. I couldn't give a fig who uses what where. I want to hear about the product not which so called celeb uses it ~ allegedly ~ GGGRRRR!!

I think you are right that its core customers are 40+ women. However, it also has quite a lot of younger viewers (eg. Leighton's Facebook Angels and a lot of the QVC posters on Laura Geller, Keeley and Fiona's Facebook walls are in their 20s and 30s).

I am 30 and wouldn't buy a product because cheryl cole uses it (mostly because I'm not into her fake look), but I would like to know what products people like Sienna Miller use because she always looks fresh and polished. I know a lot of people around my age would love to know how to get Beyonce's look so I don't think it's wrong for QVC to stray there. Where QVC go wrong is marketing their products around celebs no repsectable person wants to look like, such as Geri Halliwell and anyone from Girls Aloud.

Also it's worth remembering that people like J-Lo are around the 40 mark so there must be other 40 yr olds who want to know how to copy their look.

I am 38 and watching qvc whilst on maternity leave when my baby takes a nap. Patsy Kensit is in her mid 40's, and whilst she looks like she may have had something done to her lips, I hope I look as good as her. She has been married a couple of times, and is a mother of 2 boys. She was on loose women earlier, and has been in the entertainment business since she was about 4!

Many women aspire to j lo and beyonce too, within reason. I am not the type to buy something because someone famous uses it or might use it, but please don't generalise about the demographic of QVC viewers. I would expect them to mention celebs, that's what advertising is all about isn't it? And I would rather them attempt to flog something to me by mentioning patsy Kensit rather than Tova, Joan Rivers or Lulu!

It was when AY married her football that suddenly we got the oh Cheryl wears this, and other zelebs became important to mention when selling the products. Before in the old days it was about what the product did and who it was suitable for.

I wish I'd attended THAT wedding! :smirk:

I am a realist, nothing on this earth is going to make me look anything like Beyonce who in my opinion is totally gorgeous. I had a right laugh once when Debbie Flint was suggesting that we might want to line our eyes in the style of Cher Lloyd!!

there are loads of old bags on Q for you all to look up to... Tova, Lulu, Julia Roberts....

As for Helen Mirren I dont think she's any kind of role model. From what I can gather she's a right piece of work. Reminds me of the story where she was publicising a film and the production company gave her and one of their minions a punishing public appearance schedule. At the end of the day, in the chauffer driven car, the minion said to her "Thanks Helen, youve been a real trooper today". To which she replied "its Miss Mirren... now get me home". Source: Popbitch - theyre never wrong!

Name dropping has never persuaded me to buy any item from Q. Keely from Elemis was asked by Charlie if anyone famous used the exotic oil and she took a long dramatic pause before saying Victoria Beckham,as if that would make us all JUMP to the phones.
Lynn

Name dropping has never persuaded me to buy any item from Q. Keely from Elemis was asked by Charlie if anyone famous used the exotic oil and she took a long dramatic pause before saying Victoria Beckham,as if that would make us all JUMP to the phones.
Lynn

3 words.
Give
A

What's wrong with looking like .... Yep, you guessed it - YOU?
Unique YOU to boot.
I really do not understand why some people aspire to look like other people and I don't care what their name is.
Admiring someone's clear skin, or hair colour etc. I can understand, but to go out and get 'the look' is beyond my simple comprehension.

I totally agree, I would never buy a cream because AY says Cheryl Cole or [insert appropriate celebrity here] uses it. The point is MANY DO. Some people think that associating a bag, pair of shoes, necklace or lippy with a celeb makes it have cudos. I don't agree, but you only have to look at Now magazine or Heat and they have pages and pages of how to copy celeb style. It's a young persons thing, if they have not found their own personal style yet, they turn into a Cheryl cole clone. Most adults have grown out of it by their mod twenties, but you can understand why companies milk it for all it is worth.

I totally agree, I would never buy a cream because AY says Cheryl Cole or [insert appropriate celebrity here] uses it. The point is MANY DO. Some people think that associating a bag, pair of shoes, necklace or lippy with a celeb makes it have cudos. I don't agree, but you only have to look at Now magazine or Heat and they have pages and pages of how to copy celeb style. It's a young persons thing, if they have not found their own personal style yet, they turn into a Cheryl cole clone. Most adults have grown out of it by their mod twenties, but you can understand why companies milk it for all it is worth.

I'm not sure that's all there is to it. Older women tend to wear the same make-up styles they've worn since they were 25 and I know my mum always asks how she can copy certain looks, like the cat eye flick or glowy cheeks. People get inspiration from celebs because they have the best make up artists working on them and there's nothing wrong with wanting to learn new looks.

New looks look great on young skin, however my point is that us ladies over a certain age are NEVER going to recapture our youthful skin whatever we do, so all these make-up tips are pretty pointless in trying to make us all look like Jennifer Lopez - it aint gonna happen !

There are only 2 cosmetics lessons I have learnt over the years - 1) always exaggerate eyes or mouth, never both and 2) to ditch the face powder, its more ageing than anything !

Latest posts

Back