Cheap skincare - is it worth it?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

June--- & all these celebrations are not for the Queen, they're for MEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

I've yet to meet anyone born after me in 1947, was always the youngest in my class at school, now you've pipped me by a couple of months! There must be someone out there somewhere! Wonderful celebrations for your birthday tho!!

It kind of depends on your skin and what issues you have with it. I had an oily, spotty skin from a young age and it hounded me all through my teens and into my mid-twenties. This was when i spent a lot of time researching ingredients and exploring beyond the shelves of Boots and Superdrug. I have to admit that i went to salon ranges and they were the best at re-balancing and controlling my skin. Ever since then i put my faith in them and my skin has always thanked me for it. Now in my mid-thirties, my skin is better than ever and i put it down to sunscreen and the salon products that i used. My sisters who are younger than me and have always bought cheaper skincare from pharmacys have more aged skin than i do. Often cheaper skincare is more mass-produced and in every branch of a pharmacy because they will sell more and can keep the price lower.

I have learned so much about skincare from this very forum and the wise people therein through the years and highly recommend a good read by putting suitable words in the search bar at the top. Personally I have gone backward in my approach to skin care nased on my own budget. I went straight for the expensive brands, Decleor and Elemis (gave Liz Earle and lots of other brands a try but wasn't impressed) and have slowly wound backwards and have just started using Aldi serums and creams and am very happy. I still have a lot left of Elemis which now cost a fortune, I cannot believe the prices they are charging now. A tri enzyme kit I paid £50 for two pieces a few years ago would now cost over £194 at Elemis's own site, that is crazy and I would never pay that nowdays. And to be frank, the difference in price compared to standard products that cost 10 times less is NOT 10 times inferior, there is a soom difference no doubt but no where near worth what these other expensive brands THINK they are worth. So don't feel you are missing out on anything.

I am so cynical of any skin care brands now days, I hate that women everywhere are manipulated so much into being convinced they need the best. Exactly as people have mentioned on this thread, sun, moisture, genetics and general care are all thats needed.

some folks can use anything on thier skin and get a good result which imo is something that does not make your skin look worse than when you use nothing at all lol. my mum just recieved the emma hardy tsv and i went along to help her "play" with it. i was shocked at the huge amount of geranium oil in it. just the overwhealming smell alone would not tempt me to use it on my face. the textures were devine though but i would react and have "wounds" where the essential oils would burn my skin and irritate it. love alpha-h as its quite a basic range with little or no perfume and glycolics which my skin loves.
if your skin is quite good,which my skin is my rule of thumb is dont overdo the fancy products the chances are your skin does not need it...keep it simple!

Think one of the biggest factors in ageing is hormonal changes. Don't buy into the hype that if only you had 'stepped up' to a more expensive range you could have made a difference, or fall for that other chestnut about not changing products too often because that will confuse your skin. If I buy a set from a range it should last 2-3 months and if I don't like it I want go back to it. I follow the offers. As yet I haven't found a staggering difference between very expensive (i.e. Gatineau, Elemis) or cheaper ranges you can get 3-4-2. I do tend to avoid very cheap ingredients that are petroleum based but don't mind cheap ones that are simple e.g. glycerol based. Enjoy whatever products you choose to use and don't let others convince you you are missing out.

its an odd thing about petroleum based products that dermatologists with only the patients skin in mind dont have an issue with petroleum at all. at the other end of the spectrum the beauty houses/cosmetic companies tell us to pay more to avoid it.

i feel that a dermatologist would not reccommended potentially irritating ingredients for thier acne/exzema prone clients i.e geranium oil..all beautifull to smell and enjoy but could be causing a lot of damage to people who instantly think anything natural must be good for thier skin and wonder why thier normally quite settled skin is now erupting at the rate of mount etna

anather bug bear in relation to allergic reactions is when companies tell you the products is working when you suddenly find your skin covered in boils. keep using it you are purging you skin of toxins. its not working for you ...your allergic and should stop using it...

Think one of the biggest factors in ageing is hormonal changes. Don't buy into the hype that if only you had 'stepped up' to a more expensive range you could have made a difference, or fall for that other chestnut about not changing products too often because that will confuse your skin. If I buy a set from a range it should last 2-3 months and if I don't like it I want go back to it. I follow the offers. As yet I haven't found a staggering difference between very expensive (i.e. Gatineau, Elemis) or cheaper ranges you can get 3-4-2. I do tend to avoid very cheap ingredients that are petroleum based but don't mind cheap ones that are simple e.g. glycerol based. Enjoy whatever products you choose to use and don't let others convince you you are missing out.

Bang on etoile!

For years I used a variety of soaps or cleansers but always used Oil of Ulay - until it no longer matched my older skin.
I bought what Tesco had to offer - L’Oreal, Garnier etc. while my girls bought me more upmarket lotions & potions for Christmas/ birthdays
Then I got on the anti-aging bandwagon.
Now I'm done for.
Allergic conjunctivitis kicks in if I use anything my face, body or scalp does not like. That includes anything that contains sulphates (particularly sodium lauryl sulfate - ), parabens, perfumes, plum/blue/ eye shadow dyes, all major brands of toothpaste, even the preservative in the eye drops my doctor first prescribed ... anything really. I had a really miserable few months.
But it's not all bad news. I've new hair growth (quite a lot really) & because I now use EVOO to wash & moisturise and nothing else, my skin has never been better. It costs me a whole £3.00 for a litre, what what the heck - I'm worth it!

Last edited:
Boffy I get what you mean about petroleum based products. I don't like them. They don't work for me. I am held together by scar tissue and Bio-Oil was useless and unpleasant. They do work for some as they operate mainly as a barrier like the stuff prescribed for eczema. My child was prescribed that. What I found was it didn't treat the condition. For one, threatening kindly elderly relatives with death if they kept quenching his thirst with gallons of 'natural' fruit juice instead of water most likely helped. I do like products that are 'simple' rather than natural. Death after all is natural. Stuff that has had the least done to it, especially for kids or younger skins. EVOO, I think, has actual magical properties! Although my raw hide needs those micro-molecules now to penetrate.

The same thing happens to my eldest son Minmin...obviously not the eye shadows!!!!

I'm even using a SLS free washing powder to aid his skin....

The same thing happens to my eldest son Minmin...obviously not the eye shadows!!!!

I'm even using a SLS free washing powder to aid his skin....

It was Min's research that led me to an SLS free toothpaste (from Aldi, where else!) that my friend with bad oral lichen planus can use without irritation.

I use LE C&P and have to say that it does balance my oily skin out nicely. I can also use it all over my eyes which you can't with some others. As for moisturisers, not fussed really. I think some eg Decleor can sometimes be too heavy and just sit on the skin. Anything that's on offer I can use and makes not much difference. Eye creams - none work for dark circles so don't waste too much money.
I think I look young for my age, but I always looked young at school, and I am a sun-phobic and don't smoke which helps. The best thing for plumping skin is not to be too thin (no chance of that!)

PS I lurked for ages! Hi to all other lurkers - it's not scary here!

Happy Birthday to all ( with me) who have their bus passes!I have just been on a spending spree in my local shopping centre ( Bobbi Brown makeup) & trying this Boots No7 Lift & Luminate serums!!!!Age is only a number.But haven't given up the 'fight'!!!

the bus pass reigns! I feel I should get into Nottm more often to get some use out of it, but it sure beats about £1.80 each way! I hope you find that the Lift & Luminate does what it says on the tin!

Looks like they sprouted up during the night. Two millia at my left outer eye. Fifth day of EHarvie routine including eye serum! sob Am I right that the cream is too rich for me? Calling our resident beauty therapists! Sending out S-O-S from Snarly's den. Thanks in advance ;-)

I got one too, Snarly. Thinking that once it's gone though, it's gone. Last time I had one I managed to get rid of it. Smooth skin, no lines thiugh. When I started the moringa balm it brought spots to the surface, especially after exfoliating with the seeds. Once the spots had gone the skin was better. Millia is just sebum and skin cells too, and my guess is that it's the cleansing balm that has brought them to the surface, not the eye serum, but I may be wrong.

I have two after using Aldi serum and night cream. Am back to serum and pcmc now. I remember getting a couple when I first started using pro-radiance. This was the only change in my routine. I emailed in to an Elemis show for advice and Miss Keeley was most snotty and said that it could not be the PR - like it was the cure to all ailments :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I, too, have the bus pass and make good use of it!!! I can't find any night cream which doesn't sit like an oil slick on my skin to start with and end up on sheets and pillows. Have, in the past experimented with moisturising one side of my face, before bed, with a light product, and leaving the other side unmoisturised. The difference after a week? NONE, whatsoever!!! As for paying VAST amounts for the stuff, a dermatologist once told me that LARD is just as effective if a moisturiser is necessary.

You've just reminded me. Years ago I dabbled in making skincare products. I made a rose moisturiser which had lard in it! I gave it to a friend with really dry skin and she loved it!! I read a book recently, science debunking modern day myths, including skincare. After his research he recommended a pot of cream that was cheap as chips and sold in a chemist! The name escapes me now, but it is used as a base to most expensive products. The scientist was Ben Goldacre, I'll delve into my Kindle later and get the name of the product :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry if this has already been covered (haven't read all posts) but when you lovely people on here say someone looks good for their age, what does that mean?! At what ages should you expect to see a few crows feet? How does someone of 30 differ from 35 - 40 etc...am interested to know if I'm growing old gracefully or need more help!! I don't *think* I look my age but then I don't see what others see...when I compare to my boss who is 5 years younger (and hopefully doesn't subscribe here!) I think I look 'better' than her, she grew up in SA and had far more sun exposure than me so is a little more wrinkled I would say. She's also had 3 kids and all those related stresses while I haven't. Maybe it's cos I don't really see myself as a grown up yet?!! I am far from perfect by any means but I reckon I look younger than her and when she was 40 a couple of years ago, quite a few were surprised. Or does she just look really, really old? Did I say I hate my boss?

Latest posts

Back