Craig Rowe - A Place in the Sun

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It’s an interesting watch looking at how the format is employed in the actual episodes. Unlike shows like Escape to the Country that positively welcome brick kickers (who you suspect were more interested in showing off themselves and their alleged budget by being on TV) in numbers, C4 property shows appear to demand actual outcomes each programme. I don’t watch it much nowadays, but my late wife loved the show and would watch episode after episode on All 4. Then, you rarely saw a show end without an offer of some sort being initially accepted. The interesting thing was, for me, listening to the show during the end credits with it then being explained that sadly, the offer fell through for whatever reason. That seemed to happen relatively frequently, and it made me wonder whether the offers accepted thing is for more theatrical effect as it were, rather than having any solid or serious foundations behind them? Whether those euphoric climax at the table with a Lambrini endings are shot in real time or not, who knows. But a thirty second phone call, followed by a couple of other thirty second ones, doesn’t seem a very realistic way of parting with £100000 plus.

It would be also interesting to know whether these production companies actually want proof of the so-called financial resources to buy and position to actually proceed these couples say they have and are in. I certainly strongly suspect that the BBC don’t do that, and are more interested in their personality than anything else
There is a section on the APITS website under webinars which has some videos with people who bought a place on the show and explain what happened afterwards and how they got on. It is quite interesting to see if you watched the episode.

A lady I met in Spain said that they were mostly filmed in off season and whilst the Uk buyers were dressed in summer clothes they were usually standing with the wind whistling up their &&&! She said look at the locals who would be in heavier clothes. She took us to a village which had been on the show and it was like a ghost town, big houses but not a shop or cafe within walking distance and the only residents in the houses had 4 feet!

These programmes which I usually watch glamorise the life spent in the sun.My late partner and I met people who had sold up in Britain and those who has kept their property at home and bought in Spain.We rented an apartment for a couple of months and although people want space outside for living in the winter months it is just too cold after the sun goes in the daytime.The lovely pools unless heated (a rarity) are too cold to use.We spent nights huddled over little heaters, but sunny days were lovely.Be realistic, full time there is not a holiday.You get tired of walking along the beach and wine time can get earlier each day! Maybe that is a good thing?!

I always emphasised the importance of keeping a place, even a 1 bed flat, back in the UK, because in ex-pat world its very much a 'couples' environment, and with the age group that retire to Spain the odds are that one will be left.

Yes, its easy to guess that filming is done out of season, otherwise the swimming pool areas would be heaving with families. Its also a given that many of the apartments and villas can get very damp. Many's the time I've been on a selling trip and discovered that stored away pillows have been covered in mould, so new ones have to be bought. The same with bedding - generally aired off with a couple of hot water bottles.

A lady I met in Spain said that they were mostly filmed in off season and whilst the Uk buyers were dressed in summer clothes they were usually standing with the wind whistling up their &&&! She said look at the locals who would be in heavier clothes. She took us to a village which had been on the show and it was like a ghost town, big houses but not a shop or cafe within walking distance and the only residents in the houses had 4 feet!
Hence, when they check out flats in complexes, the pool shared by 20+ flats has no one in it. Gorgeous pool, you can do laps in it! Just wait until the other of the holidaymakers arrive. 😂

Can I say I find the endless Spanish shows so boring! They all look the same I remember a song as a child, little boxes they all look the same. I enjoy the French or Italian shows, the houses/flats have character. Not 20 feet from a pool or the infamous oh look there is the sea, what a view. They are in little villages with history and not just the local chippie. I admit I have never been to Spain, if I ever did, it would be to look around Madrid or Barcelona end of. My idea of hell, stuck in a complex by a pool or having to sit at the beach for hours on end.

As for Craig, he won a competition, got on QVC and still there years later, loads of freebies and no doubt a good paying contract. Then gets a show on CBBCs and keeps QVC now moved to another show travelling free and no doubt well paid again. Hell, I bet we would all love to have his life.

Can I say I find the endless Spanish shows so boring! They all look the same I remember a song as a child, little boxes they all look the same. I enjoy the French or Italian shows, the houses/flats have character. Not 20 feet from a pool or the infamous oh look there is the sea, what a view. They are in little villages with history and not just the local chippie. I admit I have never been to Spain, if I ever did, it would be to look around Madrid or Barcelona end of. My idea of hell, stuck in a complex by a pool or having to sit at the beach for hours on end.

As for Craig, he won a competition, got on QVC and still there years later, loads of freebies and no doubt a good paying contract. Then gets a show on CBBCs and keeps QVC now moved to another show travelling free and no doubt well paid again. Hell, I bet we would all love to have his life.
But it was rumoured that the competition was "fixed" and he was going to win it anyway. Surely QVC wouldn't fix things????? Don't mention the CROWN ;)

Thats the problem with most of the Spanish apartments, they are built lengthways, so not easy to place furniture. For some reason - probably cost, the idea of a 'square' room - which always sells better - seems to defeat them.

For us the attraction of the Costa del Sol was for the weather in the winter months, generally, not always!, sunny days but heating is essential for the evenings.I once met a British lady who had left the U.K. but said she had to take a hot shower at night just to get warm.
My favourite part of Spain ( well from the parts I have visited) is the Northern coast, Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria & the Basque Country.It is not known as ‘Green Spain’ for nothing, I was there a few months ago & apart from out little group, no other Brits. And certainly no British bars full of ex-pats.

Happened yesterday to see CR doing his stuff in Italy. (Amazing how a property can still be bought for £40 odd thousand there !) He's still waving his hands about for every word uttered.

When the clients didn't go ahead with the property they raved about, CR was clearly disappointed not to be able to put an offer forward.

I've noticed this with the other presenters when a sale is not forthcoming. I'm now wondering if they are on a "cut" if they get a sale. Yes they're not estate agents, but presenters, but I do wonder if there is a "sweetener" involved if the clients go ahead.

Not seen him much on QVC lately. Still, probably best not to tempt fate on that point or he'll probably reappear again along with his omnipresent nieces shout outs when I am watching, leaking metaphysical oil all over the studio.

Happened yesterday to see CR doing his stuff in Italy. (Amazing how a property can still be bought for £40 odd thousand there !) He's still waving his hands about for every word uttered.

When the clients didn't go ahead with the property they raved about, CR was clearly disappointed not to be able to put an offer forward.

I've noticed this with the other presenters when a sale is not forthcoming. I'm now wondering if they are on a "cut" if they get a sale. Yes they're not estate agents, but presenters, but I do wonder if there is a "sweetener" involved if the clients go ahead.
The show needs to get Debbie Flint presenting - nobody would be brave enough to walk away without putting in an offer !

Latest posts

Back