Duvet problem - please advise

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
What is it with double duvets? It's only been recently that I've noticed that they're perfectly square...well the two regular feather and down ones I have are, I bought them together in a deal a few years ago. I've been finding that many (not all) of the duvet covers I've bought for them are too big and flappy and the duvet rides around inside them leaving unsightly and uncomfortable empty areas. I was thinking that my duvets were perhaps weird continental ones, so I decided that I'd replace them. When I looked into it, I noticed that the measurements for a double duvet are 200x200cm ( a square shape), but singles and king size aren't. From what I've read this is so there's no wrong or right way of putting your duvet into its cover. I can't understand why it's only the double size that's like this, but even more so why double duvet covers are usually too big and flappy? I'm sure when I was with my ex many moons ago, I didn't have this issue with duvet covers. Some of my old duvet covers fit well, but the newer ones I've bought are awful. Is this just me, and can anyone recommend a brand of duvet cover that actually fits a double duvet properly?!
ps...I don't really want to buy a king size duvet.

We've got covers from M&S & The Linen Mill*. It's odd that the double is the only one that's square, I wonder if it's because they were the first ones 'introduced' to the UK & the others have been tweaked as people have bought larger beds. The first time we went to Slovenia we had a huge bed with a small(ish) square duvet each. I loved it & if I could find British equivalents I'd change tomorrow.

* https://linenmill.co.uk/

Last edited:
I’d love a “game changing” duvet set because the one job that I loathe is fighting to get the duvet back into the duvet cover. Unfortunately the tog rating is too high for me as I only have a 1 tog duvet on the bed, even in winter. In summer I just use the cover.

i’ll have to search around to see if any other companies do them in a lower tog.

I've only got a summer quilt on the bed upstairs because it gets incredibly hot up there, obvs as it's higher, and secondly it's only got a velux window to open, that's a printed one, so I don't need to worry about the cover, and as it's so thin and light, I can wash and dry it at home. I'm not that sure I'd want a printed one as a main duvet, as I'd get bored with the look of it, and it would need more frequent washing. Gave the duvet another really good shake last night and somehow it stayed fairly central for a change - but boy, do I wish that every duvet cover you bought was guaranteed to be a good fit, and not flapping around all over the place!

I`d be worried about knackering my washing machine when trying to wash the all in one duvet. It`s only a 7kg load one which is enough for just two of us but in Winter I use Cozee Home bedding and I wash the sheet and pillowcase as one load and the duvet cover as a second load and sometimes I hear the machine bumping and struggling to get to top speed during a spin. I doubt I`d ever fit a duvet into the machine, let alone a king size one.

Was yours from IKEA by any chance?

We purchased covers from there and they didn’t fit our duvets which were ok with other brands so I think the Swedish must have slightly different sizing.

I ended up having to sew it to fit.

I can't remember where I got the duvets from but I know it wasn't Ikea - They could've been from one of the bid channels..just off to the check the label lol! Yep - The label actually says sit up channels. They're damned good quality, nicely bound around the edges, and the stitching in the pockets (if that's the right word) is all still intact. I don't really want to get rid of them now I realise they're a standard uk size for a double duvet, although I'm wondering whether they've shrunk a bit over the years with washing..mmm could be it!
Whilst I'm on the subject of duvets - has anyone ever bought a duvet to find that it's covered with that really cheap "fabric" that's more like paper? I expect to find that on the really mega cheap ones, but some years back I ordered one, and it wasn't that cheap and when I saw that covering, I sent it straight back. I remember oh telling me it doesn't matter, it's going to be covered but I insisted!

I’d love a “game changing” duvet set because the one job that I loathe is fighting to get the duvet back into the duvet cover. Unfortunately the tog rating is too high for me as I only have a 1 tog duvet on the bed, even in winter. In summer I just use the cover.

i’ll have to search around to see if any other companies do them in a lower tog.
In the winter I sleep with fleece pjs, a memory foam topper, a cotton sheet and the fleece cover from a Cozy Homes double duvet and I’m hot enough. My duvet must be packed away in a cupboard somewhere.
currently I have taken off the memory foam topper, wear cotton pjs, cotton sheet and a thin bedcover.

In the winter I sleep with fleece pjs, a memory foam topper, a cotton sheet and the fleece cover from a Cozy Homes double duvet and I’m hot enough. My duvet must be packed away in a cupboard somewhere.
currently I have taken off the memory foam topper, wear cotton pjs, cotton sheet and a thin bedcover.
At the risk of embarrassing myself 😉 ……….

I don’t wear. PJs or anything, whether it’s summer or winter. 😳

I adore the teddy blankets from Dunelm, other outlets do them too now, lightweight but warm enough on coldest nights. I haven’t slept under a duvet for about a year and hey presto quick bed making in the morning and they wash and dry in a day. They come in different sizes and smaller one great on couch for tv viewing. I’ve only had two sets of duvet covers in my lifetime that were square, Lord knows where I purchased those from.

Eureka!!!! I think I've got to the bottom of this! The standard double duvet is supposed to measure 200x200cm and I wondered whether my quilt actually does..so I measured it, ok not to pinpoint accuracy as it's draped over the bed..but it seems that it's 180cm each way , could be slightly larger, but nowhere near 220! So no bliddy wonder my duvet covers are flapping around all over the place.
I'm wondering now whether they were sold as seconds because they're undersized (though I can't remember anything said or written down about this). Am definitely going to replace them - a shame 'cause the quality is brilliant and they're still in good nick, but I've had enough of having to untangle my limbs from stray bits of duvet cover!

I adore the teddy blankets from Dunelm, other outlets do them too now, lightweight but warm enough on coldest nights. I haven’t slept under a duvet for about a year and hey presto quick bed making in the morning and they wash and dry in a day. They come in different sizes and smaller one great on couch for tv viewing. I’ve only had two sets of duvet covers in my lifetime that were square, Lord knows where I purchased those from.
Is the Teddy Bear brand a better quality?

OH managed to find a Hungarian goose feather and down double quilt with the measurements stated as 200x200 at the bargain price of £37 on Amazon prime which gave us same day delivery...It had great reviews so thought why not. As soon as I layed it on top of the bed to puff up (as it was shrink wrapped) I could immediately see it was a fair bit larger than the old one. We're away for a couple of days so I opened it up this morning so it'll be ready to put the cover on when we get back. Obviously the old quilts I bought from bid were "seconds" as in they fell short of the measurements for a double! Anyway looking forward to a better night's sleep!

Latest posts

Back