Has She Not Got A Home To Go To?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Reading that, it could have been me !!

I started on a fiver a week and had to give my Mum £2.50, 50p for bus fares which left me £2 for whatever else. I saved up for a pair of black patent sling backs with a set-back heel for 49/11d from Freeman H & Willis, but then Rimmel lipsticks were 1/6d and a pair of Bengal Bronze or American Tan tights were around 1/11d. I lusted after a mini black dress with a white waterfall neckline and matching cuffs, it was a week's wages, but I had a birthday coming up so Mum and Dad bought it for me. Oh, those weekend dance nights at Dreamland in Margate. It was life on another planet back then.

I know there are some families in completely dire straights now with cost of living etc, but none of us in those times had much money either ! Never had a family holiday - except a couple of weeks at Granny's in Yorkshire - which meant an all day train journey, although living at the seaside meant lots of days on the beach. We didn't have a car, fridge, or telephone - we had to use the box at the end of the road. There were no credit cards, Mum's didn't generally work, and only had presents at Christmas and birthdays. We certainly never went out for a meal - few restaurants around anyway, and help from the Government was almost non-existent !!! BUT me and my brothers never felt deprived, Mum cooked every day, we had new clothes once a year at Whitsun (generally with the help of Provident Checks), and had an ok upbringing. The thing was, we were all in the same boat !
Spot on Brissles.
My favourite dress I saved up weeks and weeks to buy was from Wallis. I wore that dress until it nearly fell apart.
Whitsun clothes was usually a dress and a cardigan knitted by my nan. One year I had a lovely lemon dress and nan knitted me an angora wool bolero to match. She used to knit our winter jumpers as well.

I have not and will not buy her products on principle. I so dislike people over charging their products , being greedy especially people like Ruthie who are new to the business ( esp , when she uses other people' ideas of and merchandise and copies and passed as their idea, saying " I designed these , " She is high producing jumpsuits now after seeing how popular Kim & co is with hers. 😏
She copied her handbag from another designer and of course " I designed this" Her handbag has not got the polished look of the original designer.

That's the thing - she IS'NT a designer, in the same way that Victoria Beckham ISN'T a designer. Neither have a schooling at Design College, a background in knowing what fits where on a body, or how to create a pattern, or how well a fabric makes up. Saying how "well it drapes" - well most poly/elastene 'drapes', and sticking a bit of orange piping on the lining of a jacket is hardly enough to be called a 'designer'.

Its an utter joke that she leads us to believe she 'designs' the stuff. A handbag designer is trained in just that, and doesn't design swimsuits on the side ! So its beyond absurd that Ruthless says "oh, I told them I wanted a zip on the trainers " and "I've listed to what you've said, so I've said I wanted 3 sizes in it ". Now its sunglasses, - NO, QVC have to stop this charade. This woman is NOT a designer, no-one could possibly 'design' this huge range of goods - let alone a woman with no discerning talent except to chat in front of a camera.

Possibly. But the media do tend to refer to basement level slebs as "A" list - which reflects on the level of journalistic intelligence more than anything else.
You are so right. These day celebs is anyone who will somehow manage to get media interest for whatever reason.....somehow, let it be a boobs exposure , a bum being on the arm of a rich person,
Most confectionery seems smaller, to kerp costs down and profits up... but I also think products held in adult hands vs children's hands inevitably appear smaller.
What I can't get over is some of the hideously chemical taste of some childhood favourites. We had a pop brand called Cresta, with a cool drawling polar bear saying "it's frothy, man". I LOVED that stuff! Tasted it a few years later and found it vile. Our tastebuds change as do our preferred flavours.
Our taste buds do change and sometimes , like you said we buy things that we enjoyed so much when we were younger only to be disappointed.
I wonder if anyone here remembers a dessert , a kind of pinkish thick solution , in a tin, and it had real strawberries in it, we had to add milk and whisked it a little , it turned into a thick ,lovely strawberry dessert.
I have asked lots of friends and they don't remember 😔 They ask me if it was Angels Delight.
It is not Angel Delight and a lot tastier 😋😋

You are so right. These day celebs is anyone who will somehow manage to get media interest for whatever reason.....somehow, let it be a boobs exposure , a bum being on the arm of a rich person,

Our taste buds do change and sometimes , like you said we buy things that we enjoyed so much when we were younger only to be disappointed.
I wonder if anyone here remembers a dessert , a kind of pinkish thick solution , in a tin, and it had real strawberries in it, we had to add milk and whisked it a little , it turned into a thick ,lovely strawberry dessert.
I have asked lots of friends and they don't remember 😔 They ask me if it was Angels Delight.
It is not Angel Delight and a lot tastier 😋😋
I remember that, I believe it was called Sweetheart.

In the 70's we lived in a rural area, busses few and far between so a mobile shop, stuffed with groceries and fresh produce visited once a week.

Sometimes mum would buy a tin for Sunday tea desert, I think it came in mandarin and peach flavours too.

That's the thing - she IS'NT a designer, in the same way that Victoria Beckham ISN'T a designer. Neither have a schooling at Design College, a background in knowing what fits where on a body, or how to create a pattern, or how well a fabric makes up. Saying how "well it drapes" - well most poly/elastene 'drapes', and sticking a bit of orange piping on the lining of a jacket is hardly enough to be called a 'designer'.

Its an utter joke that she leads us to believe she 'designs' the stuff. A handbag designer is trained in just that, and doesn't design swimsuits on the side ! So its beyond absurd that Ruthless says "oh, I told them I wanted a zip on the trainers " and "I've listed to what you've said, so I've said I wanted 3 sizes in it ". Now its sunglasses, - NO, QVC have to stop this charade. This woman is NOT a designer, no-one could possibly 'design' this huge range of goods - let alone a woman with no discerning talent except to chat in front of a camera.
I am so glad to find someone else who thinks of Ruthie the same way as I do.
I don't mind her getting decent profit but to be greedy and charge so much !!😳
Saying things like," I designed " " I got this idea" " my signature hanger " " I found " really annoys me.
I would respect Kim & Co as a designer ( not in the same range of Burberry, Gucci, Christian Dior , Channel etc of course, but in catalogue and QVC standard ) because she works hard , she knows her stuff and can remember the sizes of her products off by heart .
I can't picture Ruthie in the cutting room working as Kim does,
She has now brought in swimsuits ( it was already mentioned here by Eleanor James, ) and her newest addition, the sarong. I have saved some of my old wrap around skirts which are a lot better 😅

I remember that, I believe it was called Sweetheart.

In the 70's we lived in a rural area, busses few and far between so a mobile shop, stuffed with groceries and fresh produce visited once a week.

Sometimes mum would buy a tin for Sunday tea desert, I think it came in mandarin and peach flavours too.
Oh, Susiesue I could hug you !!😘 I have been racking my brain for years trying to think its name.!! I used to buy them every week and I loved them and I so wish I could find them now. I only knew the strawberry and I loved them chilled😍

I do not know if this question has been raised before. but just wanted to know if Ruth Langsford has a home to go to.
She seems to be on QVC not like the other designers , but almost everyday.......not just on a few sessions but almost every other hour🤦🏼‍♀️
Or maybe it is just me, seeing her everywhere .
She is on QVC, presenting her " designs" or
She is doing Ruth Langsford Edit , or
She is presenting ( standing in ) for other designers.
If you turn the channel, there she is, advertising Revitive Medic for leg pains 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️
Let us turn the channel over again and there she is presenting Loose Women😮
Also why are her clothes so expensive 🤔
She is selling expensive handbags and expensive foot wear.
What next?
Cosmetics?
She usually does a Thur night with Jacqiui with repeats on Style.

Reading that, it could have been me !!

I started on a fiver a week and had to give my Mum £2.50, 50p for bus fares which left me £2 for whatever else. I saved up for a pair of black patent sling backs with a set-back heel for 49/11d from Freeman H & Willis, but then Rimmel lipsticks were 1/6d and a pair of Bengal Bronze or American Tan tights were around 1/11d. I lusted after a mini black dress with a white waterfall neckline and matching cuffs, it was a week's wages, but I had a birthday coming up so Mum and Dad bought it for me. Oh, those weekend dance nights at Dreamland in Margate. It was life on another planet back then.

I know there are some families in completely dire straights now with cost of living etc, but none of us in those times had much money either ! Never had a family holiday - except a couple of weeks at Granny's in Yorkshire - which meant an all day train journey, although living at the seaside meant lots of days on the beach. We didn't have a car, fridge, or telephone - we had to use the box at the end of the road. There were no credit cards, Mum's didn't generally work, and only had presents at Christmas and birthdays. We certainly never went out for a meal - few restaurants around anyway, and help from the Government was almost non-existent !!! BUT me and my brothers never felt deprived, Mum cooked every day, we had new clothes once a year at Whitsun (generally with the help of Provident Checks), and had an ok upbringing. The thing was, we were all in the same boat !
People knew they had to work and were proud of their work. These days many turn their noses up at some jobs.
People found time to go to dances and enjoyed themselves and looked forward to the next time they could go again.
Elders were respected and most people followed regulations .
Friends supported each other and were loyal.
I remember going to pubs and putting money into jukebox, listening to the songs and sipping Babychams :)
I used to go to M & S children 's Dept and buy their 164 size dresses which were well made and fitted me fine (those were the days!!😂)
We used to get dressed up when we went out, and yes, Brissles, American Tan was the colour of tights most of us wore👌 and smoking was seen as a sign of sophistication 😱
I too remember the wagon wheels and they were huge and tasted a lot nicer. I bought a packet a few months ago and they were smaller and did not taste like they tasted before.
"Wagon Wheels of the 80s or before. Sometime during the 80s they saw their first reduction from a 79mm width to a 74mm width. Following this, they shrunk again sometime between their 2006 weight of 41g and today's weight of 36g."
So they ARE smaller 🤨.

I do think that they were the good old days !

"....nd smoking was seen as a sign of sophistication ".

Absolutely ! I remember buying a pack of 10 Peter Stuyvesant (lasted me a month), purely because I thought the name was so sophisticated !!! I hasten to add I packed up the weed decades ago.

"....nd smoking was seen as a sign of sophistication ".

Absolutely ! I remember buying a pack of 10 Peter Stuyvesant (lasted me a month), purely because I thought the name was so sophisticated !!! I hasten to add I packed up the weed decades ago.
Me too, it was Players No. 6 if you were a bit skint, Embassy was one step up, and if you really wanted to show off, Consulate, the menthol ones that were supposed to make you feel as cool as a mountain spring! Sheila Hancock made a very funny record called ‘Just one more cigarette’

I wonder how much the cutters, the women spending hour upon hour at the sewing machines etc., get paid for churning out this derivative rubbish. Pennies, no doubt, while RL, that well-known "designer" is raking it in.
As said earlier by others, it's much easier to achieve fame or celebrity these days. When I was a nipper you had to actually have talent to become a real star. Sadly now you just have to be a thick, mouthy extrovert, prepared to sell yourself on reality TV. Andy Warhol's comment 'In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes' was remarkably prescient.

I think she should wheel in her old fella as the male model for her new elasticated underpants and heated string vests range. Attached to his circulation machine, ideally. Plugged directly into the mains - him, not the machine

When I see the likes for the Collins bint announcing that she is taking a break from work for x months I want to scream “what fing work”. you wouldn’t know work if came up and hit you over the head with a big stick - that is unless you call pouting selfies and wearing a bikini in some far east country work.

I haven’t a clue who Mollie Mae is or does but she is in every magazine showing of £3k vanity case or £4k keyring in her £4m mansion. They talk about grass politicians having no empathy with people struggling but IMO these so called celebrities are even worse flaunting unearned wealth whilst others don’t know how to pay their bills.

Ruthless and Hold’em are just as bad - it’s obviously a loooong time since any of them had to shop in Tescos .

Latest posts

Back