I strongly suspect Ellis reads here. Hello Ellis.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

SnowMoon

Registered Shopper
This afternoon, Ellis was pontificating that "some cynical people" think that the presenters know what the prices will be and that they are acting when they seemed shocked. She said the presenters have a sheet of paper with the recommended prices but the producers often go lower than this so the shock we see is genuine. Not affected. But some cynical people "out there" think the presenters are faking it.
Given that we have recently been discussing this here I suspect we may well be those "cynical people" "out there". (Out there being the big, bad world of the interwebs.)
But given how crap Gemporia has been since Steve stepped back - does she really expect us to believe a word? Would she, if she was in our position, with our experiences? I don't think she would.

Us "cynical people" are usually right - hence why Gemporia have been given two warnings this year on both occasions of this cynical person reporting them.

The presenters are acting - the faux shocked faces still seem shocked when the wooden jewellery boxes go for £19.99p, despite selling at that price for the past three years. The same applies to the £7.99p magnetic clasps.

We're not idiots Ellis - so stick that up your Khyber Pass :D

This afternoon, Ellis was pontificating that "some cynical people" think that the presenters know what the prices will be and that they are acting when they seemed shocked. She said the presenters have a sheet of paper with the recommended prices but the producers often go lower than this so the shock we see is genuine. Not affected. But some cynical people "out there" think the presenters are faking it.
Given that we have recently been discussing this here I suspect we may well be those "cynical people" "out there". (Out there being the big, bad world of the interwebs.)
But given how crap Gemporia has been since Steve stepped back - does she really expect us to believe a word? Would she, if she was in our position, with our experiences? I don't think she would.
If she does read on here then perhaps she can do something to stop them using I3 diamonds, stop Jade Troth appearing on screen for hours on end, stop comparing high end pieces in the likes of Van Cleef or Bulgari with something they're flogging in gold tone for under £20. They've spent years 'educating' the viewers and then insult them with all the above. If their profit margin has decreased these are only some of the reasons why.

If she does read on here then perhaps she can do something to stop them using I3 diamonds, stop Jade Troth appearing on screen for hours on end, stop comparing high end pieces in the likes of Van Cleef or Bulgari with something they're flogging in gold tone for under £20. They've spent years 'educating' the viewers and then insult them with all the above. If their profit margin has decreased these are only some of the reasons why.

Ellis won't stop them doing anything. She can go on telly criticising "cynical people" all she likes - but I won't stop being "cynical" until they stop giving us reasons to be cynical. So instead of wasting her time focusing on what us "cynical people" are saying, perhaps she should focus her time as to why we're like it.

This was the holier-than-thou, "game of trust" Ellis Ward earlier in the year. The same Ellis Ward that I reported to the ASA. The same Ellis Ward that was responsible for a warning from the ASA for this pitch (the second one, related to the Tanzanite ring):

Ellis closed the sale at £79.99p (after claiming "We’re going to take it under a hundred pounds its brand new, something’s gone wrong there, no wonder everybody’s gone for this") - but at THE EXACT SAME TIME, the ring was for sale on their website AT FULL PRICE, for £57.99p

Yes, something definitely did go wrong there Ellis................. and Gemporia were given a warning for it. Well done you!

Will you be telling your viewers that? Will you heck!

Rubbish. I can’t count the amount of times Ellis and other presenters have reduced a price! Lopped another £20 off, usually disguised as ‘being naughty’. Nothing to do with the shed loads of tat not selling out! It really used to confuse me as to who was actually in control of the pricing. No one, apparently.

Comes to something when you've got to check the vendor's own website to see if the item being "auctioned", with all the claptrap puffery accompanying the price reveal, can be bought for - sometimes proportionately significantly - less than on screen.

GC is not above doing this either. Couple of times, I've seen a stone being pushed for either a price higher than previously set (albeit that might be using the different item code trick) or the presenter loudly claims, during a sale-type hour, that the price is the lowest it's ever been. True, but sketchy puffery - it's always at that price. (TheManWithNoName has provided numerous examples of this on Gems items.). This used to be more obvious if you looked at the "Daily Deals" pages on a regular basis but that seems now to be defunct.

Ellis has done this before. Made a direct comment about something that has been raised on here and almost accused this forum of being economical with the truth. Tut tut, kettle and black springs to mind!

This used to be more obvious if you looked at the "Daily Deals" pages on a regular basis but that seems now to be defunct.
Its still active. They've just forgotten to put the link on the website.

As always, the Gem Collector website has been altered to make it even worse than the previous glitchy abomination.

The Gem Collector websites have always been crap and poorly thought out compared to the main Gemporia website.

As always, the Gem Collector website has been altered to make it even worse than the previous glitchy abomination.

The Gem Collector websites have always been crap and poorly thought out compared to the main Gemporia website.
Truly shocking. A 'C' grade GCSE submission would put it to shame. Always puzzles me why TGGC management ignore this fundamental part of their sales model. As you say, go elsewhere, such as to Gemselect, and it's like night and day.

Truly shocking. A 'C' grade GCSE submission would put it to shame. Always puzzles me why TGGC management ignore this fundamental part of their sales model. As you say, go elsewhere, such as to Gemselect, and it's like night and day.

The very first Gem Collector website was the best (back before Gem Collector had a show and was just an hour shoehorned into 'The Lounge' channel).

They got rid of it because it was created before websites were made to be 'mobile-first' plus it wasn't set up to watch broadcasts - but the search options were so much better.

I didn't even need to finish reading the OPs post.

How on earth can the presenters 'surprise' on selly telly (any channel) be remotely genuine when they've been doing the job for anything more than a few months?

Great deal, oh surprise ...

etc etc ;)

Latest posts

Back