Im done with buying Yankee candles.. They get on my wick

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I used to buy loads but have stopped and I am getting through them slowley. I don't tend to light them in the summer, it's too easy to miss the flame still burning before you pop out of the house, plus there is no romantic light ��

I have had my eye on one of these for a while now.
I saw them in Meadowhall after following my nose having been attracted by a gorgeous scent. I saw them in John Lewis a few months later and again in Neals Yard. The lady in there said they use essential oils in them and I was amazed when she told me to put my hand in the steam.....it was cold!
I'm so tempted to get one
http://www.johnlewis.com/browse/hom...trasonic-diffusers-oils/_/N-5ran?No=0&Nrpp=30

I didn't get into yankee candle until relatively recently and am quite fussy about my scents - I have about four max five I would burn, all floral and white if poss! For Christmas a kind friend bought me a large jar of snow in love. It's a relatively strong smell but even so I can notice a difference but the worst thing is the soot!!
I can cope with a bit of it on the jar but this keeps falling into the wax and ruining it :( then I spend ages attempting, in vain, to fish it out!!
I am using a metal ilumalid, trim my wick using a yankee trimmer. What else can I do?!

Incidentally is anyone aware of Parks of London? They look classy and there is a good deal on delicious sounding 3 wick candles below - not cheap by any means but if they would burn well I could be tempted as I now have no candles left!!

http://www.allboxedup.co/summercandles/

I used to buy loads but have stopped and I am getting through them slowley. I don't tend to light them in the summer, it's too easy to miss the flame still burning before you pop out of the house, plus there is no romantic light ��

I have had my eye on one of these for a while now.
I saw them in Meadowhall after following my nose having been attracted by a gorgeous scent. I saw them in John Lewis a few months later and again in Neals Yard. The lady in there said they use essential oils in them and I was amazed when she told me to put my hand in the steam.....it was cold!
I'm so tempted to get one
http://www.johnlewis.com/browse/hom...trasonic-diffusers-oils/_/N-5ran?No=0&Nrpp=30
I bet they will come down in price quite a lot over the next year. One reviewer on JL site said theirs had broken in just over a year so out of the warranty period

You can do worse than go into a TK Maxx near you - they always seem to have lovely, classy candles in there.

I think it's such a shame! Consistently, the two nicest guests to watch are Rosa and Steven, but they are presenting a product range with a diminishing quality level. The sootiness, the petrol-scent, the increasingly mandatory need for accessories to manage the burn performance, the weaker throw of the fragrances...

Is this a general squeeze on product quality, or is it only in the products sold on QVC? For a product where they extol the scent throw, the true-to-life fragrances, the quality of the burn... they have been indulging in false economies which will result in fewer repeat purchases by previously loyal YC customers.

Wild sea grass is rubbish compared to dune grass, greenhouse and garden hideaway, which is a shame as I bought quite a few of them. Summer scoop, however, is strong, as is my current favourite turquoise sky. I'm keeping a list of the strong ones and the rest are history.

CC

I keep a list! I usually just buy the new sets now but if I were to buy from the back catalogue I would always check. I make a point of recording the strong in jar, weak when lit category too. Having said that, I still love having YC on the go and am currently burning Midnight Oasis and Lake Sunset, very nice. But I think it is down to one's individual sense of smell. I can smell the fresh and spicey ones best but I just used my Summer Scoop and did not find that very strong at all. Nice but weak lit in fact!!!! Years ago I had a votive (some thanksgiving one) and it was so incredibly strong unlit I had to keep it in isolation! When I burnt it, nothing!!!

The other day I noticed Sea Grass and Beach Holiday all 50% reduced in Wyvale. They must be very strange unpopular scents. Talking of all things strange, last week a dear friend (or was she?) bought me a couple of yankee tarts. Tart 1, Summer Scoop. Tart 2,Cappuccino Truffle. Whilst unwrapping, they sure did smell delicious! Last night I lit Cappuccino Truffle, and half an hour later had a tremendous headache & stinging eyes, I had to extinguish it, and the other half of tart went in the bin. Tonight, I lit Summer scoop in the downstairs cloakroom, all seemed fine, popped upstairs. When I came straight back down, my cloakroom had what it seemed a 'haze' of blue smoke in the room, and blue smoke arising rapidly from the tart, A little bit of a fright, I admit. Its such a huge shame! Yankee what the HECK have you done??? Whatever you have done, it surely has started the beginning of the end for you, so, quickly revert back to original recipe, because surely, not reducing production costs (which it seems what you have done here) is far better than Yankee company going bust! (have a 'Cappuccino Truffle' with Mally, I'm sure she would advise Yankee what not to do)

Another sad fact is that its the Yankee newbies would not know the problem. Whereas the Yankee (ahem) 'oldies and faithful' are the ones being let down, because its those customers that are noticing the difference.

I am sure in the future yankee will just spray scent in the lids, to get a sale

The other day I noticed Sea Grass and Beach Holiday all 50% reduced in Wyvale. They must be very strange unpopular scents. Talking of all things strange, last week a dear friend (or was she?) bought me a couple of yankee tarts. Tart 1, Summer Scoop. Tart 2,Cappuccino Truffle. Whilst unwrapping, they sure did smell delicious! Last night I lit Cappuccino Truffle, and half an hour later had a tremendous headache & stinging eyes, I had to extinguish it, and the other half of tart went in the bin. Tonight, I lit Summer scoop in the downstairs cloakroom, all seemed fine, popped upstairs. When I came straight back down, my cloakroom had what it seemed a 'haze' of blue smoke in the room, and blue smoke arising rapidly from the tart, A little bit of a fright, I admit. Its such a huge shame! Yankee what the HECK have you done??? Whatever you have done, it surely has started the beginning of the end for you, so, quickly revert back to original recipe, because surely, not reducing production costs (which it seems what you have done here) is far better than Yankee company going bust! (have a 'Cappuccino Truffle' with Mally, I'm sure she would advise Yankee what not to do)

Another sad fact is that its the Yankee newbies would not know the problem. Whereas the Yankee (ahem) 'oldies and faithful' are the ones being let down, because its those customers that are noticing the difference.

I am sure in the future yankee will just spray scent in the lids, to get a sale

I agree with you so much!! There has definitely been a changed in the quality. The smoking melt is very shocking, what on earth was in it to make it do that? It's such a shame because Yankees used to be amazing. Regarding your headache, last year l lit a Christmas Memories melt which stank like curries. Within half an hour l was sick with a migraine headache and had to go to bed.

Not being a Yankee fan, can any of the regular buyers say if the aromas are duplicated ?

I'm asking because how on earth is it possible to create the literally hundreds of different smells that Yankee (claim) to produce ? I don't know any of the names off by heart, so forgive me, but how can for example a smell be achieved for say 'morning woodland', or 'ocean driftwood' - is it purely an imaginative aroma, and surely the ones with 'sea, ocean, lake, river etc' must all have the same base perfumes.

Perhaps we have a chemist as a poster and could throw some light on this. (not meant as a pun !)

i have been buying yankees for at least 14 years and they do duplicate scents. there is not an infinate amount of fragances. i suspect it keeps customers/collectors buying new lables,scents,colours as they come in.

One current example is Kilimanjaro Stars being a dead ringer for Midsummer Night (almost) IMO.

Now if only they would replicate Evening Air, ooh that was gorgeous!

I gave up on YC jar candles for the same reasons as everyone else (tunnelling, sooty etc). I'm currently burning Lola Rose candles that I got in last year's sale & I definitely regret I didn't buy more. The scents are gorgeous, they smell more like a high end Jo Malone candle and the smell really does linger. I am sorry they were discounted as they are so far the best candles I have ever used.

I've deserted the yankee ship, too. I tried a few brands (Lily-flame & shearer, among them) from Amazon, including spending a small fortune on a couple of 'Bath & Bodyworks', but was disappointed in those, also.

I've currently stopped burning candles, altogether, mainly because of the mess they cause.

Woodwick 'Hearthwick', may be an exception, though; I've only had the Redwood, so far, but it has a reasonable fragrance throw.

Mostly I've been using the Woodwick melts. They're better than the yankee melts, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm losing my sense of smell; nothing smells as strong as it should!

I like vanilla candles. I don't care where they are from as long as the vanilla is natural and not sickly. I noticed that they sell Yankee candles in Asda now. I smelled one recently and it had a base note of Harpic toilet cleaner with hints of tallow. Not my ting!

I have been burning Moroccan Argan oil in the large jar candle tonight, it has been burning for hours and I can't smell it at all, I have trimmed the wick and am using a shade, i give up! I am never buying Yankee again! A complete waste of money!

I have been burning Moroccan Argan oil in the large jar candle tonight, it has been burning for hours and I can't smell it at all, I have trimmed the wick and am using a shade, i give up! I am never buying Yankee again! A complete waste of money!

my daughter cant smell this scent but i can and its gorgeous. i will have burned it for hours and shes just come in and i ask her and she says cant smell a thing. she could smell the prices candles though

my daughter cant smell this scent but i can and its gorgeous. i will have burned it for hours and shes just come in and i ask her and she says cant smell a thing. she could smell the prices candles though

That is strange, the funny thing is I have a very good sense of smell and can distinguish a perfume a mile off, the worse Yankee for me has been the Granny Smith scent, that has no smell. The melts seem okay though?

I haven't posted for a long time but feel the need to do so regarding Yankee Candles. I've loved these candles for years but the last lot I bought (the Grand Bazaar set of 3) two of them are the worst I've ever had. The Moroccan Argon Oil candle I let burn til there was three quarters of it gone and have thrown it away. The jar was black with soot all on the inside, it wasn't a clean burner and the aroma wasn't very strong. I've now got Oud Oasis burning but can't smell anything, it's like a normal candle is burning instead. Dreading when I burn Frankincense near Christmas no doubt that won't have a smell either.

The melts are okay I suppose regarding aroma but a lot of them fall apart when I'm opening the wrapper. Maybe I'm doing something wrong when opening them or maybe I have been sent old stock I just don't know.

One current example is Kilimanjaro Stars being a dead ringer for Midsummer Night (almost) IMO.

Now if only they would replicate Evening Air, ooh that was gorgeous!

I have to agree, smells like they have just swpped wrappers. I usually buy the Midsummers Night for my grown up son, it smells so much like it he came in and asked why I was burning his tarts.

Latest posts

Back