Is it over yet?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I went looking for a birthday card today but couldn't find anything suitable as most of the display cases had been given over to Christmas cards. I am sorry but it is too early for all of them to be out. It's not even November. It really is getting earlier and earlier. I so hope l can find a nice birthday card though as it is a special birthday and l always pride myself on getting something a bit different. I am cross with myself for not being organised!

My Dad's birthday is 3 days before Christmas and I always struggle to get a card for him. You have just reminded me to go and get one for him now before it is too late, and there are none!

I'm the same, my son's birthday is the 21st. I've learned over the years that if you don't pick up a nice card round about now you will struggle to find one nearer the time. My Mum always said "do they think people don't have birthdays round about Christmas?" ........ which contradicts the reason of what Christmas is actually meant to be all about!!! :giggle:

I hate seeing Christmas cards on sale in July!! I put my cards up on Christmas Eve and they're down the day after Boxing Day! Bah humbug :mysmilie_13:

We all seem to agree that it is far too early for Christmas and that the ideal family/lifestyle portrayed doesn't suit a lot of us but I have just been watching that well known mustard ad and although it is very true to life it is blinking miserable looking. Like something out of the 3 day week in the 70's when everything was on candle power, and the meat looks as grey as a badger and unappealing.

Can't win!

I really like Christmas and find with my two children now into their late teens,the christmas sparkle goes a bit.my hubby works away a lot and I cannot think of a christmas in the hundred years or so we've been together,that he hasn't worked some part of christmas.I have found in recent years that actually christmas day and boxing day are actually very boring days,once your family is grown or you are not part of a huge family......or is it just due to the fact that christmas starts so early...and qvc is a very good example of that....that actually once the day comes after all the hype.....you kind of get there and think thats it??!!! I no longer buy many presents - i am actually really rather glad about that....I give my children money...I buy a present for my MIL & FIL...I buy a present for my aged 94 yr old grandmother which frankly is a waste of time....I give money to the small children in the extended family,as whatever I buy will be wrong.Sure it still all adds up,but I certainly don't have the need for the likes of northern night presents,gatineau gift sets and lori greiner trinkets.

My children are no longer in the school system so no teachers gifts and surpringsly I don't feel the need to gift my postman nor my window cleaner.QVC do roll out the same stuff year after year...although this year has seen the return of the christmas tress which I haven't seen probably since I started buying from QVC 15 ish years ago.

I do think QVC are really good at making you feel part of the family at this time of year.I have a busy job, I have two late teen children and an aged grandmother to care for,my hubby works away - but other than that I have no other family to speak of...QVC do make me feel christmassy and part of something at this time of the year.Sad I may hear you cry,a sales ploy I hear you all shout......yes! yes! I completely agree with all of you......but the nice thing for me,is that I'm not actually buying.Sure I buy the odd thing here and there...today i have bought something......but there is something a little comforting about QVC at this time of the year. Unfortunately I feel they do prey a little on people at this time of the year - lots of people feel lonely and alone at this time of year and qvc are very good at making you feel part of the family.I fear lots of people are forgetting their salespeople at the end of the day...this is their prime money making time...bit like holiday companies in school holidays!!!

Yes, my brother's birthday is just before Christmas and I always buy a card about now, or earlier if poss. Leave in til the first week in November and you have to fight your way through the piles of Xmas cards, gift wrap and next year's diaries to find one.

I'm the same, my son's birthday is the 21st. I've learned over the years that if you don't pick up a nice card round about now you will struggle to find one nearer the time. My Mum always said "do they think people don't have birthdays round about Christmas?" ........ which contradicts the reason of what Christmas is actually meant to be all about!!! :giggle:

Me too! Maybe a few days before, but by Boxing Day I want them gone. To be honest, this is partly due to the relentless "Christmas, Christmas, Christmas" pushed at us since July or even earlier. When I was a kid, Christmas didn't enter our consciousness until after Bonfire Night at least - and because of this I think we enjoyed it more. I could not believe my eyes when the "Christmas in July" promotions were on - and went on for days!!! They lose any potential custom from me, because if I see this on screen I just switch over or switch off.

I hate seeing Christmas cards on sale in July!! I put my cards up on Christmas Eve and they're down the day after Boxing Day! Bah humbug :mysmilie_13:

Well, the endless Xmassness has driven me away from QVC again.

It happened last year to some extent, but this year - I have tuned in less the last 2 weeks than ever in the last 10 years (I usually have the Q on in the background during housework or hobbies).

This time, I switched off in disgust at some vile Xmas decoration tat, and haven't been near it since. Is my love affair with the channel over?

I'm delighting in catching up on series of boxed sets, and reading, instead.
Feels quite liberating.
And I am well on track with my xmas pressies too.

So it is all good.

My Christmas was rotten last year, I couldn't really get into the spirit as on the 19th Dec was told I had cancer (now gone :) ) and had to have my major op on new years eve, it really tainted Christmas, me and the hubby just couldn't relax as it was on our minds totally but hid it from the kids and this year I am so up for it! I'm an extremely quiet person out and about and even asked my local poundshop owner when he was going to put his Christmas stuff out, his face was a picture. QVC really does put me in the mood, I have purchased lots of stuff from them through the years, already buying a Christmas top, it's so lovely. I think as it's the big 50 next year and after my health experience, which still isn't brilliant sadly, I am feeling the need to enjoy Christmas more too. My 19, 17 and 15 y/o kids have already got my Christmas buzz, my hubby thinks I'm loopy but I am quietly confident that I will get fed up before the day, I'll run out of steam but I'm enjoying it while it lasts. That said, QVC do so milk it and they would, trying to pull every penny out of the viewers is their tactics because they are seriously feeling the pinch I am sure as some people get poorer and poorer, I see it in my circle of family and friends, on here and in my own life.

K
My Christmas was rotten last year, I couldn't really get into the spirit as on the 19th Dec was told I had cancer (now gone :) ) and had to have my major op on new years eve, it really tainted Christmas, me and the hubby just couldn't relax as it was on our minds totally but hid it from the kids and this year I am so up for it! I'm an extremely quiet person out and about and even asked my local poundshop owner when he was going to put his Christmas stuff out, his face was a picture. QVC really does put me in the mood, I have purchased lots of stuff from them through the years, already buying a Christmas top, it's so lovely. I think as it's the big 50 next year and after my health experience, which still isn't brilliant sadly, I am feeling the need to enjoy Christmas more too. My 19, 17 and 15 y/o kids have already got my Christmas buzz, my hubby thinks I'm loopy but I am quietly confident that I will get fed up before the day, I'll run out of steam but I'm enjoying it while it lasts. That said, QVC do so milk it and they would, trying to pull every penny out of the viewers is their tactics because they are seriously feeling the pinch I am sure as some people get poorer and poorer, I see it in my circle of family and friends, on here and in my own life.

I'm so pleased you're all clear, what a terrible experience for you. I love Christmas too and I suppose it puts it all in to perspective that we're here to see it at all, life is short and fragile and have to live for every minute. :mysmilie_14:

I'm just adding, last year my husband found a lump in his nether region, didn't tell me till October (last year) after worrying for months, I then dragged him the doctors, so after the scans and the worrying wait to get the results, luckily enough it was nothing but the worry before was anything but, so I know exactly were you're coming from, enjoy your Christmas. :mysmilie_14:

Last edited:

Glad you have had the all clear. Hope you and your family have a womderful christmas and new year!

loujareth, so sorry to hear you've had a really horrible time - but it hasn't dented your spirit, and good for you. Hope this Christmas will be full of everything you love and want, and hope lots of lovely times will be happening for you in 2016. Who knows what the next year will hold - lets hope loads of 'goodies'! xx

shopperholic, a truly awful experience for you both - and so very pleased to know the results showed it was nothing too much to worry about. But that's the point, by the time you get the news you've worried yourselves sick anyway, because of the strain of waiting to know/feeling powerless to hurry things up. So nice to hear when someone gets good news - going to the docs to get something checked out is what we all hate, but what you've said proves the adage about "get it checked".

K

I'm so pleased you're all clear, what a terrible experience for you. I love Christmas too and I suppose it puts it all in to perspective that we're here to see it at all, life is short and fragile and have to live for every minute. :mysmilie_14:

I'm just adding, last year my husband found a lump in his nether region, didn't tell me till October (last year) after worrying for months, I then dragged him the doctors, so after the scans and the worrying wait to get the results, luckily enough it was nothing but the worry before was anything but, so I know exactly were you're coming from, enjoy your Christmas. :mysmilie_14:

I'd break the ruddy sound system if I was a presenter! There was a scene on the re-runs of "M.A.S.H" (Freeview 61) a while back, where there's a PA system and someone dismantles it to shut up the bloke continually making unwanted announcements - I laugh my head off thinking of that flippin background Musak on Q - pity someone doesn't do the same.
Yes it's bad enough when it's on the promos but when they carry on playing it whilst the presenters are talking it's unbearable.

Latest posts

Back