Jill Franks You Bi*ch

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Oh, come on - if we are getting into equine faces - how about Joanna Lumley, Sara Jessica Parker, Jerry Hall ????? its been said on more than one thread that JF is the image of Ziggy Pop ! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN CYCLE ??

um... i think thats probably iggy pop you mean there brissles? or ziggy stardust? :rock:

if it werent acceptable to pass comment about a person without actually knowing them personally then there would be an awful lot of tv and print journalists out of work.

please get real.

anyone who likes JF or any of the others has every opportunity to start a positive thread saying so and saying the reasons why. i wouldnt jump onto it accusing the OP and the people who agreed with them of being sycophants and i dont think many other forum members would either. if anyone wants to disagree with me feel free, thats the point of a forum, but stop slagging people off or impying that theyre bullies or victimising people just becuase they have a negative opinion. we're not children, youre not moderators and its pathetic.

this forum used to be feisty and fun and compulsive. some of the FM's who predate even me will remember the good old/bad old days when things sometimes got a little *ahem* out of hand. and the reason it got out of hand was that people started commenting on eachother instead of the people on TV. I'm not suggesting we go back to that but we're at the point now where people are apologising for their comments "sorry if this upsets anyone".... "just my own opinion" blah blah for fear of being jumped on. Its absolutely ridiculous.

i call on my fellow forum members to stop cow-towing to the PC brigade and post your opinions without fear or apology. i'll back you to the hilt, even if you ARE slagging off my lovely old JR :cheeky:

I guess that the anonymity of the internet leads us to where we are, ie the viciousness of your original post, calling a woman a "bitch" - not a good look for you. I'm not a moderator (obviously!!) and without saying it - although I will - thank God we have free speech in this country. Does this make it OK to use that word? Really? Is it really PC-gone-mad if someone says "hold on a minute"...well, I'll leave that up to you.

The PC brigade - you don't know me, so I MAY WELL be a paid up member (it's very cheap, you know) but you don't know that. And it's not "pathetic" either, to remonstrate on a public forum about someone who disagrees with calling a woman on telly a "bitch".
Mysoginistic gay guys do that, do you not think?

I wasn't implying anyone was a bully, BB, least of all you. Anyway, it's inferring, not implying :)cheeky:). You're not victiming anyone, obviously. You're just being nasty. This Forum is sometimes just plain nasty and it's a shame, in my view. C'est tout.

you had to be there.

Which supports my case for a link, d'ya see?

We know Julia Roberts can be incredibly bitchy and insecure.
We all know Jill Franks has form for saying incredibly thick things.
We know Claire Sutton can be incredibly ditzy.
We know Chuntley can be sickly sweet.

We have evidence of these things, they have form. We've seen and read the evidence, time after time.

I'm not in any way defending Jill, just surprised that she also has THAT particular string her bow. Like she doesn't have enough objectionable traits.

Oh, come on - if we are getting into equine faces - how about Joanna Lumley, Sara Jessica Parker, Jerry Hall ????? its been said on more than one thread that JF is the image of Ziggy Pop ! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN CYCLE ??

Phew...you should see me. I look like a horse in most photos it's just not attractive. Luckily, I've not been on telly and had nasty people saying so and I'm a grown woman not a youngster, m'lud. (off topic a bit so I am)

I guess that the anonymity of the internet leads us to where we are, ie the viciousness of your original post, calling a woman a "bitch" - not a good look for you. I'm not a moderator (obviously!!) and without saying it - although I will - thank God we have free speech in this country. Does this make it OK to use that word? Really? Is it really PC-gone-mad if someone says "hold on a minute"...well, I'll leave that up to you.

The PC brigade - you don't know me, so I MAY WELL be a paid up member (it's very cheap, you know) but you don't know that. And it's not "pathetic" either, to remonstrate on a public forum about someone who disagrees with calling a woman on telly a "bitch".
Mysoginistic gay guys do that, do you not think?
I wasn't implying anyone was a bully, BB, least of all you. Anyway, it's inferring, not implying :)cheeky:). You're not victiming anyone, obviously. You're just being nasty. This Forum is sometimes just plain nasty and it's a shame, in my view. C'est tout.

no, i dont think that. far from it. in fact i've not heard that theory dragged up for a good 20 years - i thought we'd moved on. apparently not.

no, i dont think that. far from it. in fact i've not heard that theory dragged up for a good 20 years - i thought we'd moved on. apparently not.

Moved on from...what? What I hear on a regular basis? (I live in Hove/Brighton) and I hear the word "bitch" from 3 or maybe 4 gay guys I know _ I challenge it and then it stops. And starts again. BB, even your response sounds confrontational! It's not a theory - I wish it were. Straight men call women "bitches", too. I find your use of the word offensive and the casual way you have posted it in the title of this thread, without apparently a second thought. Others may not of course find this so.

Last edited:
As someone who was bullied at school to the point of attempting suicide, I think there is a huge difference between that type of thuggery and simply having a pop at a tv personality like the op did.
I once called JR a 'rotten old cow' on here for being nasty to one of the models. Now who was the bully? Her or me? Plus it was said with tongue firmly in cheek but I guess that's difficult to gauge in cold type. Am I sorry? Am I hell.
Public personalities have chosen the limelight and must expect a few rotten tomatoes to be thrown their way now and again.

Moved on from...what? What I hear on a regular basis? (I live in Hove/Brighton) and I hear the word "bitch" from 3 or maybe 4 gay guys I know _ I challenge it and then it stops. And starts again. BB, even your response sounds confrontational! It's not a theory - I wish it were. Straight men call women "bitches", too. I find your use of the word offensive and the casual way you have posted it in the title of this thread, without apparently a second thought. Others may not of course find this so.

women call women bitches too. gay and straight. does that make them mysoginists? if you object to the word for whatever reason thats fair enough, but that doesnt mean i have to stop using it. either casually or with offence intended.

Crikey!

I haven't been on here for a while so I thought I'd have a look through some of the threads. It's getting a bit hot in here isn't it!

I'm so sorry you were bullied so badly at school that you were in such a desperate place alibeth and glad you came through it. I agree with you that that type of bullying far exceeds comments made on here about presenters, there is no comparison in fact.

The trouble is the way things are posted on here and it's like sending a text to someone, you have to be careful how you word it. I'm pretty sure the presenters don't read these posts, otherwise they would end up paranoid. If they do read these posts, then they are going to have to expect that some people won't like them - hate them in fact - and others think they're the bees knees.

I don't think there's any presenter that everyone on here LOVES. Or is there?

And to go back to another post, I think Claire is a genuinely nice person too. I met her several years ago at the Ideal Home Show when QVC were there and she was really lovely, just the same as she is on TV, asking my daughter where she got her coat as she really liked it, just a nice, sweet woman. We had a long conversation, she chatted to me like she knew me, and I walked away wishing she was a friend of mine.

I don't really know what the PC brigade has got to do with this thread, Burlz called JF a bitch in his OP, which isn't a particularly nice thing to call someone famous or otherwise, but he wanted to tell us about something he witnessed earlier in the week, and that's fair enough. Personally I didn't agree with him and myself would have put it down to Jill's dizziness rather than nastiness, some agreed with him, and others had similar views to my own. Can't see what the problem is, and where the bullying bit comes in to it.

Also can't see a problem in posters saying "I hope this doesn't offend anyone", or "In my opinion" Isn't that just politeness? I'm not afraid of saying what I think, though I would agree that what you write in print can often be taken in a way that it wasn't intended to be, so I can't see any problems with trying a little bit harder to word things as not to antagonise others. I have posted some pretty "clumsy" words in my time, and I have been "jumped on", and I felt awful afterwards, not because I felt I was being ganged up upon, because I realised that I'd actually hurt a lot of people's feelings by writing what I did.

I'm glad there's freedom of speech here, but I think that a jolly good debate is all the better when the forum members aren't turning on one another, which can, and does happen on this forum fairly regularly. I'm not saying we should agree with one another, or kowtow to the presenters, but I do think it is worth remembering that they have feelings too, and may well read this forum....don't even think the national press would write "Horse faced" so and so was seen staggering out of a club etc!

Merryone I agree with what you say. I always try to be careful how I word my posts but its not always easy! I don't think the unpleasant stuff that has been written about JF is a form of "bullying". I know what bullying is like, both in school and in the workplace. I have worked with some very nasty women who pretend to befriend you and then slag you off, so I don't regard what has been said about JF as bullying, but that is my honest opinion!! I personally cannot watch her as she drives me nuts so I choose not to watch her!! Things are very difficult in my life at the moment so I enjoy coming on here to see what is going on and sometimes join in, but I think some people are taking things a little too far accusing certain people of bullying!

I don't really know what the PC brigade has got to do with this thread, Burlz called JF a bitch in his OP, which isn't a particularly nice thing to call someone famous or otherwise, but he wanted to tell us about something he witnessed earlier in the week, and that's fair enough. Personally I didn't agree with him and myself would have put it down to Jill's dizziness rather than nastiness, some agreed with him, and others had similar views to my own. Can't see what the problem is, and where the bullying bit comes in to it.

Also can't see a problem in posters saying "I hope this doesn't offend anyone", or "In my opinion" Isn't that just politeness? I'm not afraid of saying what I think, though I would agree that what you write in print can often be taken in a way that it wasn't intended to be, so I can't see any problems with trying a little bit harder to word things as not to antagonise others. I have posted some pretty "clumsy" words in my time, and I have been "jumped on", and I felt awful afterwards, not because I felt I was being ganged up upon, because I realised that I'd actually hurt a lot of people's feelings by writing what I did.

I'm glad there's freedom of speech here, but I think that a jolly good debate is all the better when the forum members aren't turning on one another, which can, and does happen on this forum fairly regularly. I'm not saying we should agree with one another, or kowtow to the presenters, but I do think it is worth remembering that they have feelings too, and may well read this forum....don't even think the national press would write "Horse faced" so and so was seen staggering out of a club etc!

Which is why I used the word equine because "horse-faced" requires no work.:mysmilie_846:

Having an opinion isn't bullying. So BurlyBear said Jill sounded a bit bitchy? Maybe she was - there are lots of times too when she's good fun, so why is it wrong to say so? I would tell my friend to her face if I thought she was being bitchy, it wouldn't destroy her life or leave her in need of therapy. It's just honest - she would say the same to me if I was being catty.

Serious ongoing bullying from family, school, work bosses/colleagues or whoever which is intended to cripple you and leaves you an emotional wreck, is something completely different. Those people are evil swine and the opposite of honest.

Carry on saying what you think and if I don't like it, that's my problem, not yours.

Good Grief! :wonder: I thought this was shoppingtelly.com not bloomin' Childline :dull: The vast majority of comments on here are just harmless banter - including that of the OP. If people take such offence perhaps this isn't the forum for them. And as for all that claptrap on bullying, if you think I'm seething with jealously everytime I take a pop at a presenter then that probably says rather more about you than it does about me :thinking:

Good Grief! :wonder: I thought this was shoppingtelly.com not bloomin' Childline :dull: The vast majority of comments on here are just harmless banter - including that of the OP. If people take such offence perhaps this isn't the forum for them. And as for all that claptrap on bullying, if you think I'm seething with jealously everytime I take a pop at a presenter then that probably says rather more about you than it does about me :thinking:

I totally agree with you. This bullying term is being bandied about far too often recently on here and in my opinion is an insult to people who have been bullied.

This is a forum about all things to do with shopping telly and that includes the presenters, this isn't an appreciation society.
I don't know if the the presenters are lovely in real life, I'm sure most of them are and I expect them to be very nice at customer events that's their job.
I only judge what I see on my screen and if I don't like it I don't see anything wrong in commenting.
If the presenters choose to come on here and read the threads well that's their choice, they can't expect too only read wonderful things about themselves and assume all of us to feel like the sycophantic T callers they are used too.

I like JF and didn't see the presentation in question so i can't comment on it, but if someone else thinks they've been bitchy how does that make them a bully. Burlz is entitiled to his opinion and this forum is a better place for it IMO. How boring it would be if everyone agreed all the time

Agree also. How can it be termed as bullying? We choose to come on here & read the postings. No one is banging on our doors, accosting us in the streets, sending nasty letters, making abusive phone calls etc. We have the freedom of choice.

If you don't like it & feel uncomfortable, don't read it & stay off this forum.

Agree also. How can it be termed as bullying? We choose to come on here & read the postings. No one is banging on our doors, accosting us in the streets, sending nasty letters, making abusive phone calls etc. We have the freedom of choice.

If you don't like it & feel uncomfortable, don't read it & stay off this forum.

Or, alternatively, how about read it, disagree and post your own contrary opinion.

Ooh yes please, and then cyber WW3 can break out. :muscle: We've not had a good scrap on here for ages. :grin:

Good point.

I do notice a lot of presenters were ex-dancers, especially JR & JF, it has always made me wonder why we don't see them more often together on air. I really think that JF IS genuine, honest, and a real good friend to many people, who would never dream of whispering behind ones back.

I have to be honest though, I do think that these days, ST members are more and more critical of presenters, which in all honesty, is a little unfair:dull: pulling someone down can be fun.. but not for the 'victim'

When I was at school, I was bullied. At the time I was told this advice...

1. Personally unhappy

People that are always criticizing others is that they are deeply unhappy, have a low self esteem and perhaps even depressed. When people are depressed, sad or insecure often the world becomes very dark and they do see the enemy everywhere. Some people are very jealous of other people's success and deeply resent it. They then start to 'act' out.

2. They are seeking attention...

It can also be a form of projection. They project onto others what they feel about themselves. When they call you a loser, really this is a direct reflection of how they feel about themselves. It is likely too that they consider this how you think about them so they get the insult out there first. The more unkind they are to you, the more distance you create between you, and this results in them trying harder to get your attention.

3 They feel Rejected .....
They feel rejected and try with inappropriate means to re-establish a connection. Look at how 'naughty children' behave when trying to get attention. The attention grabbing efforts are always negative and not positive. Is it possible this person has yet to learn these methods are not effective!

4 they are jealous.....
If you are an attractive, bubbly, successful, wealthy person with a nice happy home, great relationship, lovely children, nice car or any number of other things that this person does not have then this is in itself is reason for them to resent you if they are unhappy about what they lack in their own life.

When people took these pot shots at me, I generally see it for what it is. Insecurity and jealousy. I pity them and as such bear them no ill feeling. I may try to help them feel better about themselves or to gain what it is they want but do not have but ultimately if they can't quit their griping which can in the end drive even the strongest person down, then I will distance myself from them, perhaps indefinitely.

so if you are being critisized, Miss Presenter...
Do not let people like this get you down and remember you are almost always at an advantage when compared to them but their level of insecurity may make you their target, however think of it as just a little reminder of how successful you are

Just gotta say Moynah, well done for posting here, I totally agree with what you're saying...... took guts knowing you'd probably be blasted for your post & I suspect you weren't talking neccessarily about bb's post but the general relentless negative bullying drivel that spurts out this forum, name calling (I mean Chuntley? gees grow up!)

yeah having a pop occasionally at a presenter is fair enough but when it's relentless post after post (talking generally on the forum not BB's post on it's own) thread after thread...really folks read Moynah's post, the reasons are there, and you know it....It's always the women presenters who get it the neck over and over again ....Jill Franks & Julia Roberts et al probably have fabulous lives, get over it lol, aspire to your soul not to what others have...

...just waiting for the denials now...lets see...oh they're fair game, they're in the public eye, I'm not jealous, my life is wonderful etc etc.........lol

Latest posts

Back