Julia asking folk to text their 'forename'

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I agree with some and disagree with others - I think this is still a predominantly Christian country tho in a generation or two that will no doubt have changed. I'm mid-60s as many of you already know, so, I have a Christian name and I was christened and I don't see anything wrong with that - too many people in this country seem too ready to knock the old and established ways simply because they ARE old and established, and because they CAN knock things without fear or favour. The whole PC business sticks in my craw, you hardly dare open your mouth these days for fear of offending someone, and of course there are always people just waiting and checking everything you say (or write!) so they can jump up and call you racist or homophobe or whatever the latest buzz word is. I think the British as a race are pretty tolerant with a "live & let live" slant on life - that gets abused by some people of course - I try to be tolerant but I think it's true that the older you get the more you regret the passing of YOUR way of life, things as you know and love them...for one thing, I never asked to be equal! I regret the passing of a chap giving you his seat on the bus, holding the door open for you etc etc - it makes me gnash my teeth when I give up my seat on a bus to someone older, or disabled, and see young blokes still sitting there. Yep, guess I'm old-fashioned and past my sell-by but give me the world as it was when I was in my teens and twenties..people seemed nicer then.

I am not christian and at school was bullied because I was different . I was made to stand up in class as walk out when the christian assembly was on. I hated being singled out and it has stayed with me all my life. HOWEVER I still don't care if I get asked my christian name. I have even asked folk for their christian names when at work. It is just a name to me. My opinion, so sorry if anyone is offended.

I do hope Julia keeps up the good work be it forename, first name or give name. I just know whenever I heard christian name I felt left out which may be a small thing as things go, but it's a bit like banging your little toe; ok it's not a major operation but it hurts a bit none the less.
I realise that a lot of people still say christian name, be it age or upbringing or any other reason, but we live (like it or not) in a multi-cultural, multi-faith society and I do not feel it is political correctness gone mad to make a small adjustment that makes people feel included rather than excluded.

I agree with some and disagree with others - I think this is still a predominantly Christian country tho in a generation or two that will no doubt have changed. I'm mid-60s as many of you already know, so, I have a Christian name and I was christened and I don't see anything wrong with that - too many people in this country seem too ready to knock the old and established ways simply because they ARE old and established, and because they CAN knock things without fear or favour. The whole PC business sticks in my craw, you hardly dare open your mouth these days for fear of offending someone, and of course there are always people just waiting and checking everything you say (or write!) so they can jump up and call you racist or homophobe or whatever the latest buzz word is. I think the British as a race are pretty tolerant with a "live & let live" slant on life - that gets abused by some people of course - I try to be tolerant but I think it's true that the older you get the more you regret the passing of YOUR way of life, things as you know and love them...for one thing, I never asked to be equal! I regret the passing of a chap giving you his seat on the bus, holding the door open for you etc etc - it makes me gnash my teeth when I give up my seat on a bus to someone older, or disabled, and see young blokes still sitting there. Yep, guess I'm old-fashioned and past my sell-by but give me the world as it was when I was in my teens and twenties..people seemed nicer then.

Awesome post BM, and for what it's worth, I agree 100%!!

I do hope Julia keeps up the good work be it forename, first name or give name. I just know whenever I heard christian name I felt left out which may be a small thing as things go, but it's a bit like banging your little toe; ok it's not a major operation but it hurts a bit none the less.
I realise that a lot of people still say christian name, be it age or upbringing or any other reason, but we live (like it or not) in a multi-cultural, multi-faith society and I do not feel it is political correctness gone mad to make a small adjustment that makes people feel included rather than excluded.

Alibeth, I would not for the world want to make you or anyone else feel "excluded" and I see that obviously I have to move with the times and try to remember to alter the habits of a lifetime and say "first name" or "forename"..it's just that that's how things were when I was growing up and it's as natural as breathing to me to say "Christian name" - I'm sorry if anyone feels upset or offended by that because that's not what's intended - you know that saying about you can't teach old dogs new tricks..!

Every generation thinks that theirs was the best and that standards have declined since. The Ancient greeks despaired of their youth and wanted a return to the 'good old days'. Derek Bentley was excecuted in the good old 50's as an example to the youth which the authorities deemed to be out of control. In Victorian times, gangs of youths roamed the streets in a forerunner to todays gangs and were just as nasty. There was no golden age....ever!

It is thanks to this P.C. 'madness' that certain things are now beyond the pale, like racism, overt sexism etc.

Furthermore as an Atheist I don't care if a person uses the term 'Christian' name. It's lost it's original meaning, it's just a word.

This is not a predominantly Christian country. We are one of the most Secular countries in the world, we have come far enough not to pay lip service to some boogey man in the sky.

Every generation thinks that theirs was the best and that standards have declined since. The Ancient greeks despaired of their youth and wanted a return to the 'good old days'. Derek Bentley was excecuted in the good old 50's as an example to the youth which the authorities deemed to be out of control. In Victorian times, gangs of youths roamed the streets in a forerunner to todays gangs and were just as nasty. There was no golden age....ever!

It is thanks to this P.C. 'madness' that certain things are now beyond the pale, like racism, overt sexism etc.

Furthermore as an Atheist I don't care if a person uses the term 'Christian' name. It's lost it's original meaning, it's just a word.

This is not a predominantly Christian country. We are one of the most Secular countries in the world, we have come far enough not to pay lip service to some boogey man in the sky.

not wanting to get into a relgious argument but let's just get the facts straight.

Statistically, White British are more likely to be Christian than other ethnic-based classifications. White British are 75% Christian, mostly Anglican (or Presbyterian in Scotland), while the percentage for all "ethnic" groups is a little less than 75%. About 17% of the White British population reported having "no religion". The 17% percent figure for "no religion" is about the same for all groups. About 7% percent of the White British declined to state any religion.[13] There are around 100,000 converts to Islam in Britain, mainly white Britons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_British

i'm not relgious so i don't particularly care about percentages but i do respect people who are.

My mum is late 60s and was rarely asked for her Christian name, generally first name and it had nothing to do with the fact she doesn't have a Christian name, it was just how it was, people asked for your first name.

I agree with some and disagree with others - I think this is still a predominantly Christian country tho in a generation or two that will no doubt have changed. I'm mid-60s as many of you already know, so, I have a Christian name and I was christened and I don't see anything wrong with that - too many people in this country seem too ready to knock the old and established ways simply because they ARE old and established, and because they CAN knock things without fear or favour. The whole PC business sticks in my craw, you hardly dare open your mouth these days for fear of offending someone, and of course there are always people just waiting and checking everything you say (or write!) so they can jump up and call you racist or homophobe or whatever the latest buzz word is. I think the British as a race are pretty tolerant with a "live & let live" slant on life - that gets abused by some people of course - I try to be tolerant but I think it's true that the older you get the more you regret the passing of YOUR way of life, things as you know and love them...for one thing, I never asked to be equal! I regret the passing of a chap giving you his seat on the bus, holding the door open for you etc etc - it makes me gnash my teeth when I give up my seat on a bus to someone older, or disabled, and see young blokes still sitting there. Yep, guess I'm old-fashioned and past my sell-by but give me the world as it was when I was in my teens and twenties..people seemed nicer then.[/QUOTE

What a great post BusyMum - and this from a bloke who, you may not be surprised to hear, has just had his 63rd birthday. I couldn't have put it better.

Well said BusyMum - I also agree about the seats in buses and opening doors. My husband still walks on the outside of the pavement and swaps over when we cross the road. I like being a 'lady' and have done for the past 73 years!!

Well said BusyMum - I also agree about the seats in buses and opening doors. My husband still walks on the outside of the pavement and swaps over when we cross the road. I like being a 'lady' and have done for the past 73 years!!

Oh so does my OH Poppy! I thought he was the only one left! And tho he's an atheist he has just about the most Christian attitude of anyone I know - if anyone wants a helping hand, he'll be there..we're surrounded by elderly ladies living alone here..guess who cleared all their paths of snow??!

I agree with some and disagree with others - I think this is still a predominantly Christian country tho in a generation or two that will no doubt have changed. I'm mid-60s as many of you already know, so, I have a Christian name and I was christened and I don't see anything wrong with that - too many people in this country seem too ready to knock the old and established ways simply because they ARE old and established, and because they CAN knock things without fear or favour. The whole PC business sticks in my craw, you hardly dare open your mouth these days for fear of offending someone, and of course there are always people just waiting and checking everything you say (or write!) so they can jump up and call you racist or homophobe or whatever the latest buzz word is. I think the British as a race are pretty tolerant with a "live & let live" slant on life - that gets abused by some people of course - I try to be tolerant but I think it's true that the older you get the more you regret the passing of YOUR way of life, things as you know and love them...for one thing, I never asked to be equal! I regret the passing of a chap giving you his seat on the bus, holding the door open for you etc etc - it makes me gnash my teeth when I give up my seat on a bus to someone older, or disabled, and see young blokes still sitting there. Yep, guess I'm old-fashioned and past my sell-by but give me the world as it was when I was in my teens and twenties..people seemed nicer then.[/QUOTE

What a great post BusyMum - and this from a bloke who, you may not be surprised to hear, has just had his 63rd birthday. I couldn't have put it better.

Sadly Mike, when the last of us baby-boomers has gone, the country will be in a ****** awful state!

I don't think anyone of my generation (late generation X, early generation Y) would use the term 'christian name' (I may be wrong, but I've never heard anyone my age use it) although as a child I heard the expression used by my parents. I think it is now generally referred to as a "first name". I don't think the term is used for PC reasons (not consciously, at least) more that increasingly younger generations do not see themselves as being christian and I bet a lot of people in their 20s would be confused by the term 'christian name' altogether.

Oh so does my OH Poppy! I thought he was the only one left! And tho he's an atheist he has just about the most Christian attitude of anyone I know - if anyone wants a helping hand, he'll be there..we're surrounded by elderly ladies living alone here..guess who cleared all their paths of snow??!

My husband (and every boyfriend I have ever had) also walks on the outside of the pavement, we are in our 30s. As far as I'm concerned it's not unusual, neither is holding the door open for me, carrying bags etc. As far as I am aware good manners are not age related, when I had the delightful job of customer service I discovered that any age group can be extremely rude.

My husband (and every boyfriend I have ever had) also walks on the outside of the pavement, we are in our 30s. As far as I'm concerned it's not unusual, neither is holding the door open for me, carrying bags etc. As far as I am aware good manners are not age related, when I had the delightful job of customer service I discovered that any age group can be extremely rude.

Have I upset you?

Sadly Mike, when the last of us baby-boomers has gone, the country will be in a ****** awful state!

I hope not. I'm in my late 40s with a son in his early 20s. He commutes into London and he ALWAYS gives up his seat for someone elderly, or a young mum or if someone looks tired. I can't take credit for that particular habit of his but I'm pleased he does it. Not all "youngsters" have forgotten their manners.

As a 30 year old woman I'm horrified to read someone say they "never asked to be equal" and are upset that men don't give up their seats on the bus anymore.

If the trade off for having to stand up on the bus or open a door yourself is that your daughters and grand daughters can go to university, choose any job they like, have economic independence so they do not depend on a man for a roof over their heads, and not spend their lives patronised as the feable sex, isn't the price worth it??

The chivalry you mourn is really just a belief that women are fragile things, both physically and mentally, and need looking after. You might get to sit down on the bus but you pay a price for it in every other aspect of your life. I prefer gender-neutral politeness whereby I hold doors open for men if I get there first and they do the same for me.

I hope not. I'm in my late 40s with a son in his early 20s. He commutes into London and he ALWAYS gives up his seat for someone elderly, or a young mum or if someone looks tired. I can't take credit for that particular habit of his but I'm pleased he does it. Not all "youngsters" have forgotten their manners.

I agree, and to be fair I do see people offering their seats to pregnant people on the train. I also see it with elderly people but less so, in part I suspect because you worry you'll offend someone if you announce you think they are old and look like they could do with a sit down! In my experience good manners are not the preserve of the old and rudeness is certainly not the preserve of the young!

Latest posts

Back