Julia Roberts and Valentines Day

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Evie

Registered Shopper
No surprises. She has posted on Instagram about the love she and her husband Chris continue to share after 43 years. Why did she need to share this, particularly in these difficult times when so many are struggling on so many fronts? She has no regard for the feelings of others or what they might be going through. All she cares about is herself and to share how she and Chris are all loved up💕💕💕

Sorry Evie, but I think she's ok to do that.....Yes a lot of us are going through difficult times but sometimes it's good to hear there's love in the world. If you can't big up your loved one's on Valentines day then when can you? I'm on facebook and soooo many of my friends and contacts posted pics of their loved ones, messages and valentines meals they're sharing and not for one minute do I think they should rein it in. Obvs being in the times of covid this isn't possible at the moment, but it usually breaks my heart a bit to see pics of my friends with their mums on mother's day, treating them to a lovely meal and flowers when my mum's no longer here..but can I begrudge them? Certainly not. Same with any loved one..cherish what you've got and if you want to shout it from the rooftops...Go for it. Tomorrow isn't promised!

I don't think anyone, slebs or wannabe slebs included, should have to self-censor for those who can't celebrate Valentine's Day, or any other day. By this standard, we would not be able to share the joy of becoming parents, grandparents or other emotionally important happy events.
I am no fan of Julia, but I welcome her posting about being happy. Not everything has to reference doom and gloom and suffering, or even acknowledge it.

If that’s what people want to do that’s fine. It’s also fine for me to feel uncomfortable with people who are not just posting for friends and family.
There is just something about her posts in general and how they come across to me. I make no apologies for how I feel but if her post is seen as spreading the joy of love and makes people happy then that’s great.

I quite agree, with some on here, Julia should be able to post what she likes, especially if it’s on a positive note about whatever makes her happy. Personally I think there IS too much negativity out there on social media and if people don’t like what others say, then unfollow them or don’t look them up all the time just to see what they have to say.

I just feel the need for the sick bucket. Social media has turned the world and his wife into a load of narcisstic show-offs. People cant live their lives without the need to 'share'.

Like the Beckhams, I've got to the point where I just want to smash their faces in if I see one more Insta photo in the newspaper !!!

Now we've got the dopy duo Harry & Meghan giving us a Hollywood style PR perfect Insta photo sitting on the grass informing us she's pregnant. Fine. Not surprising, I read in the paper today that despite being classed as 'good friends', it seems (according to The Times) Oprah Winfrey had only met Meghan once before the invite to her wedding fell on the mat. So Meghan had a 'plan' back then.

Before she was on Instagram she's always posted details about their life, including Valentine's Day celebrations, on her blog for the Q, as do most of the others, however, I've always thought that there's just a bit more 'showyoffiness' in her posts. How couples feel about each other is none of my business & many protestations of affection are positively cringeworthy so make me feel uncomfortable rather than happy. Sharing joy about happy events is a completely different, & in my opinion, meaningful experience. I do appreciate that companies have started sending emails out asking if customers want to be excluded from receiving promotions for Mothering Sunday & Father's Day, both difficult celebrations for many of us.

I quite agree, with some on here, Julia should be able to post what she likes, especially if it’s on a positive note about whatever makes her happy. Personally I think there IS too much negativity out there on social media and if people don’t like what others say, then unfollow them or don’t look them up all the time just to see what they have to say.
Oh dear, post your views on here and make any point you like but please don’t advise me to block people or not to look them up. I am not looking for a lifestyle coach. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me and respect everybody’s opinion, as you can see I have liked each response. However, what qualifies you to advise me on how to approach Social Media?

No surprises. She has posted on Instagram about the love she and her husband Chris continue to share after 43 years. Why did she need to share this, particularly in these difficult times when so many are struggling on so many fronts? She has no regard for the feelings of others or what they might be going through. All she cares about is herself and to share how she and Chris are all loved up💕💕💕
Just watching her just now on the Rieker show, she looks ridiculous in her white cowboy boots 😂😂😂

No presenter`s comments either on air or on social media or blogs is worth getting wound up about. They are what they are and make their living from spouting their shallow thoughts and life stories. A huge pinch of salt is always needed when listening to or reading about any of them and just let it wash over like a luke warm cup of tea. If they`re happy then fair enough and good luck to any of them but I actually feel sorry for people who think they need to share their lives to such an extent with a bunch of strangers and I can`t help feeling it`s often a tad exaggerated. Let`s face it, even the hard nosed Q presenters aren`t going to tell us about massive arguments or chucking a clock at their other half cos he/she has pissed them off or about their kids getting into bother for smoking behind the bike shed or having money troubles because they`ve overstretched on their mortgage etc etc etc so that makes me think they 100% cherry pick the info they pass on and all for effect, no more, no less and I for one have no strong feelings about them either way.

Personally, I’ve never understood the need for people to tell us about every bit of their lives or to photograph what they’ve cooked. That’s probably why I don’t have a FB, Twitter or Instagram account. I can appreciate that families and friends keep in touch via FB, although I tend to pick up the phone or have a coffee on FaceTime while we’re in lockdown, but why so-called celebrities bother to announce things to the world I really don’t know.

I won’t regale you with the details of my Valentine’s Day because I’m not a QVC presenter or a “celebrity.“ 😉

I had a VD card from the dog ! (courtesy of Moonpig and my brother) 😂 😂 😂 .

Then, as my neighbours knew I had an enormous pensioner crush on Miguel Angel Silvestre (in his role as Alberto in Netflix Velvet) poor lad ! they too sent me a VD courtesy of Moonpig with a gorgeous photo of him - which put a huge grin on my face which I still have ! I might be 72 but I can still have my head turned by a handsome 40 year old :love::love::love:

Sorry Evie, but I think she's ok to do that.....Yes a lot of us are going through difficult times but sometimes it's good to hear there's love in the world. If you can't big up your loved one's on Valentines day then when can you? I'm on facebook and soooo many of my friends and contacts posted pics of their loved ones, messages and valentines meals they're sharing and not for one minute do I think they should rein it in. Obvs being in the times of covid this isn't possible at the moment, but it usually breaks my heart a bit to see pics of my friends with their mums on mother's day, treating them to a lovely meal and flowers when my mum's no longer here..but can I begrudge them? Certainly not. Same with any loved one..cherish what you've got and if you want to shout it from the rooftops...Go for it. Tomorrow isn't promised!
I agree. Good for her.

Oh dear, post your views on here and make any point you like but please don’t advise me to block people or not to look them up. I am not looking for a lifestyle coach. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me and respect everybody’s opinion, as you can see I have liked each response. However, what qualifies you to advise me on how to approach Social Media?

I agree Evie, I’m all for positivity, from genuine people but as we all know, like with her house, her wedding, her house.......did I mention her house? JR is doing it for nothing more than people to envy her, want what she’s got and personally I find that quite sad. People who are genuinely happy with their lot don’t need to shout and tell the world about it or only feel happy when people want what you have, you’re right a sensitivity chip should be inserted in all QVC shop assistants, certainly wouldn’t go amiss .

Sometimes negativity is tongue in cheek and open to interpretation, so If people relish in reading and enjoying everything about a QVC shop assistants life good for them, personally I’d rather stick pins down my finger nails............less painful. ❤️🙏😘

I had a VD card from the dog ! (courtesy of Moonpig and my brother) 😂 😂 😂 .

Then, as my neighbours knew I had an enormous pensioner crush on Miguel Angel Silvestre (in his role as Alberto in Netflix Velvet) poor lad ! they too sent me a VD courtesy of Moonpig with a gorgeous photo of him - which put a huge grin on my face which I still have ! I might be 72 but I can still have my head turned by a handsome 40 year old :love::love::love:

b, I’m seriously hoping VD stands for Valentines Day. ❤️😂

I love this forum because we can feel free to post our views on anything concerning shopping television and those connected with it. I have read and respect all the various views on JRs Valentine post. I have nothing against love and people expressing their feelings. Just to clarify and not wanting people to agree with me. I think it’s one thing sharing these special moments with friends and family if that’s what you like doing. I also think that when people post on platforms knowing that they will certainly be read more widely, perhaps even hoping for that, they have certain responsibilities. They should ask themselves who might read this? They perhaps should ask if they are coming over a little too smug at a time when people might be experiencing difficulties, even perhaps with relationships. That’s how I feel because presenters are reaching out not to their friends but to a wider audience of unknowns and as I have said I feel that with that comes a certain responsibility. I can’t explain it any other way except to say that I confess I think the woman in question has a huge ego, is a show off and I am not convinced that she thinks very much about other peoples’ feelings.
Apologies if I have come across as a killjoy, it wasn’t my intention. I know millions of people celebrated on 14th February in many ways. My problem is admittedly with Julia Roberts and the way she goes about sharing. We are all welcome to our views on this matter and I respect them all.

I don't think anyone, slebs or wannabe slebs included, should have to self-censor for those who can't celebrate Valentine's Day, or any other day. By this standard, we would not be able to share the joy of becoming parents, grandparents or other emotionally important happy events.
I am no fan of Julia, but I welcome her posting about being happy. Not everything has to reference doom and gloom and suffering, or even acknowledge it.
I find it troubling that dignity & humility have become rare qualities since so many now find their lives governed by 'social' media.

I love this forum because we can feel free to post our views on anything concerning shopping television and those connected with it. I have read and respect all the various views on JRs Valentine post. I have nothing against love and people expressing their feelings. Just to clarify and not wanting people to agree with me. I think it’s one thing sharing these special moments with friends and family if that’s what you like doing. I also think that when people post on platforms knowing that they will certainly be read more widely, perhaps even hoping for that, they have certain responsibilities. They should ask themselves who might read this? They perhaps should ask if they are coming over a little too smug at a time when people might be experiencing difficulties, even perhaps with relationships. That’s how I feel because presenters are reaching out not to their friends but to a wider audience of unknowns and as I have said I feel that with that comes a certain responsibility. I can’t explain it any other way except to say that I confess I think the woman in question has a huge ego, is a show off and I am not convinced that she thinks very much about other peoples’ feelings.
Apologies if I have come across as a killjoy, it wasn’t my intention. I know millions of people celebrated on 14th February in many ways. My problem is admittedly with Julia Roberts and the way she goes about sharing. We are all welcome to our views on this matter and I respect them all.

I had a lovely day #grateful #blessed #so in love

Flowers, chocs, rose petals all over the bed, foot rub #valentines meal#blessed #me me me

Then Mr B trod dog **** over the floor & in to the rug.

You're not a killjoy.

As can be seen from my post, I wasn’t aiming at anyone in particular, it was just my opinion, which like everyone on here, I’m entitled to.

Latest posts

Back