Julia's Children

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Wendywink

Registered Shopper
How come Julia's kids appear on QVC? Have they been through an interview process? Am sure there are loads of young kids looking for jobs so it seems unfair these two can appear just because mummy works there.

Nepotism. I don't have a problem with it actually. If I had a successful business I would give my children jobs there, surely anyone would when it came down to it? There is no difference when you get a job because of someone you know already there putting a good word in for you. As long as they work well and prove themselves, good luck to them I say :happy:

OOooooooh you are REALLY putting your head above the parapet on this one Wendywink !!!!!!! (but at least some of us are still around to tell the tale !)

Our Soph used to work there but left not so long ago. Last night she was back though and came on to flog Revitalash. Julie said "she's working tonight".

Oh oops lol didn't know that it was just a comment from a friend and I thought she had a point so posted to see everyone else's view. Can of worms maybe? Lol

There was a massive barney on here on this subject some time ago. Good Luck!!!

Ooh I missed that!

Oh oops lol didn't know that it was just a comment from a friend and I thought she had a point so posted to see everyone else's view. Can of worms maybe? Lol

I wasn't having a go Wendy! I just hear this a lot about people I know employing their family and it winds me up a bit when most of us would do it if we were in the position to.

Welcome by the way :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Look out for lots of other QVC kiddies then,as most of the presenters have them..unless of course they don't want Mummy/Daddy to give them first foot on the ladder. Obviously Julia's kids did.

No that's fine and anyway we are all entitled to our opinions even though others may not agree. Life would be very boring if we all thought the same

I think most of us would do the same, although my two would not want to work anywhere near me!! I might embarrass them he he.

I have really warmed to Julia of late and she is by far and away their best presenter. However she will keep banging on about her kids. I adore my two hooligans, but I do not expect anyone else to be as interested in them as I am. Who, in fairness, wants to hear about someone else's children so much?

I employed my son part time whilst he was doing his A-levels and in the first year of his degree. And he now works for a company that I introduced him to when he wanted work experience at school. I opened the door but they employed him permanently through his hard work and efforts.

I did whatever I could to get him a start. I think it's so tough for all kids these days that there's nothing wrong with giving your own kids a helping hand if you can. But once you've opened the door they still have to get by on their own merits.

I don't think the majority of us have a problem with her children working at QVC. It's the sickening way she keeps going on about it that drives me mad!!

While I understand people who own companies etc employing their children Julia is actually only a very small part of QVC much as she would like to think otherwise and I am sure there are many more QVC employees with children who would like to work there. My point or rather my friends as she brought it to my attention is why only her two are employed there

Well Kathy Taylors eldest is studying medicine and Alisons Keenans daughter is a teacher so they are obviously over qualified to work at Q. Dont think any of the others have kids who are old enough yet though a few more have kids either at or about to start university.

I once had an issue at work with one of my team leaders. I had a vacancy for an agency person and she wanted me to take on her son, it was his gap year. I said I wasn't happy to do it and we had a right drama. She was normally 100% professional, my best team member in fact, but we had alsorts of tearful meetings followed by sulks etc.
The simple reason was that it was a high pressure environment and anyone not pulling their weight had to be identified quickly and dealt with. He had no experience of any type of work and I didn't think that she would have been able to manage her own son dispassionately. Also I didn't feel that the rest of the team would appreciate the situation.

I'm still sure I was right but it was an eye opener as to how strong the maternal instinct is.

Its funny how some parents do whatever they can to help their children and others want them to stand on their own two feet and learn the hard way.

I tend to be too soft and am in the first camp though sometimes wish I could be more of the 'get on with it yourself' type :)

I know when the time comes I'll do whatever I can to help my children get a foot onto the employment ladder, and I don't see that there is anything wrong with doing so.

Personally I am rather sick of the "it's who you know brigade". If you are in the know you are ok and sod all others who work hard and try and make something of themselves as they will never be good enough. You only need to look at the current government to see what I mean. People getting positions because of who they are rather than what they know. I would much rather help my children financially while they knock on doors than open them for them. What do they learn?

Working with or for parents is a double-edged sword! My first husband worked for his family business and was royally shafted by them as they got into financial difficulties; working without pay for 6 months up to the point when his Dad popped round to show us his new car....twas the beginning of the end of the marriage. Another acquaintance "worked" in the family business mostly upsetting the people who did actually work at the rest home the parents owned, developed a drink problem and never did learn the value of money.

I'd do what I can for my kids but I'd never want to work with them.

Jude xx

The one big massive difference in the past 40 years or so is maturity of age. I dont know anyone who leaves school nowadays at 16 to start a job (if they can get one) - they seem to be at school or 'yoooni' til practically middle age !

My point is; leaving school early we had to grow up pretty damn quick in the disciplined world of work and learn to stand (or fall) on our own two feet, therefore we were mature adults by the time we were 21, most with families and responsibilities of our own. Today's 21 year olds cannot be classed as mature by the standards of years gone by and as a result still rely on Mum and Dad for help in every aspect of their lives. A sad indictment of how our society has evolved.

Latest posts

Back