Kim's Sundress

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Susie Wusie

Registered Shopper
Well l have had sundresses the same as these for years and even now would not pay £54.96 +£4.95 p&p, get real QVC!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220524-072645_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220524-072645_Samsung Internet.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 120
Well l have had sundresses the same as these for years and even now would not pay £54.96 +£4.95 p&p, get real QVC!!
I used to have a dress like this, and I absolutely loved it. It was a crepe/viscose fabric in black with a floral design. It cost me about £12 from price drop, yes I paid postage on top but it still worked out costing less than £20. It was a bit long and I'd often catch the hem and eventually it got a bit tattered so I got shot of it. I regret not attempting to take the hem up, but I'm no seamstress. Wouldn't mind another one though. If it's Kim it's probably sweaty polyester/elastin and that price is blinking ridiculous!

Another one who had these back in the day however now that bodice sheering just emphasises my muffin top, but if your shape is ok they are very easy to wear.

I had a look at Kimmy’s sleeveless maxi dresses and there are a bit stiff in price to wear once or twice a year.

I still have a sheering top dress in cottong, but as I'm busty and its impossible to wear a bra with this style, my boobs become as 'one' and go through a door before me !!

On a positive note, around 10-15 years ago I did own a few Kimmy maxis. They had shoe string straps and were ditzy prints, which I wore for many summers. Then the prints became manic and not to my taste, so I didn't buy anymore.

I still have a sheering top dress in cottong, but as I'm busty and its impossible to wear a bra with this style, my boobs become as 'one' and go through a door before me !!

On a positive note, around 10-15 years ago I did own a few Kimmy maxis. They had shoe string straps and were ditzy prints, which I wore for many summers. Then the prints became manic and not to my taste, so I didn't buy anymore.
My mum used to do a lot of dressmaking, and regularly used shirring elastic. I remember it being spelled like that because it was written across the packet of it that she had. She used to pronounce it "sher -ring"(rhymes with burring or erring) so I presumed that was correct. Whenever I hear the word now, shopping channels/sewing bee etc, they always refer to it as sheering. I doesn't matter of course, but it'll always be shirring to me! Bit random I know sorry!

I`m not really a dress wearer and in my last job we had to wear either navy blue trousers or a navy blue skirt and I always opted for trousers. Of course I did own some dresses which were usually worn on nights out or special occasions or on holiday. A loose fitting cool dress is a great buy for hot climes, especially if cotton or linen.
When I retired I literally lived in jeans or trousers but I had surgery 4 weeks ago and wanted some loose fitting inexpensive dresses because I knew I wouldn`t be able to tolerate waistbands for a while and that my abdomen may be swollen and uncomfortable. I bought some dresses from Matalan which were cheap and even cheaper with my 20% discount code and have been a godsend especially as I developed a post op infection. I think each of them cost me around £14 and they have washed and worn well and a good fit.
Kimmy`s dress isn`t a style I`d wear for going out in but I`d wear that style over a swimsuit on holiday to walk to and from the beach or to go for lunch when you need to cover up. I`ve seen many similar dresses both online and in places such as Asda and much cheaper than Kimmy`s offering.

Back when I was a student I would buy ready-shirred dress lengths from Bond Street Fabrics in Blackpool.

One straight seam and you had a sundress for a couple of quid (shoulder straps optional). Somewhere there'll be similar fabric available. As long as the width is enough to skim your hips and tummy it's an easy project. The shirring part is more of a skill but not impossible.

Vienna I hope you are recovering from your op and that the infection is under control.

Just had a Google and preshirred (yes Merry you are correct) is readily available on line. And Amazon are selling these dresses for about £30 although I’m never certain what Amazon’s clothes would be like.

My mum used to do a lot of dressmaking, and regularly used shirring elastic. I remember it being spelled like that because it was written across the packet of it that she had. She used to pronounce it "sher -ring"(rhymes with burring or erring) so I presumed that was correct. Whenever I hear the word now, shopping channels/sewing bee etc, they always refer to it as sheering. I doesn't matter of course, but it'll always be shirring to me! Bit random I know sorry!
It's shirring for me too. When they say sheering, it sounds so wrong.

Vienna I hope you are recovering from your op and that the infection is under control.

Just had a Google and preshirred (yes Merry you are correct) is readily available on line. And Amazon are selling these dresses for about £30 although I’m never certain what Amazon’s clothes would be like.
Amazon clothes are much better than they used to be. They don't use Chinese sizing any more (at least on the clothing I have bought.) It's cheap and cheerful, not much lasting quality though.

Back when I was a student I would buy ready-shirred dress lengths from Bond Street Fabrics in Blackpool.

One straight seam and you had a sundress for a couple of quid (shoulder straps optional). Somewhere there'll be similar fabric available. As long as the width is enough to skim your hips and tummy it's an easy project. The shirring part is more of a skill but not impossible.
I made a few of those too!
As you say, the easiest dresses to make ever - a seam up the side (or back) and a hem. Then just straps added. They were so comfortable to wear too

You can get tiered skirt fabric like that as well. Only one seam needed, and voilà, a skirt similar to the £90 jobs Helene Berman sells.

Latest posts

Back