Ludicrous Prices

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I can't imagine Jake being that way inclined - he doesn't seem to have the charisma, and he also comes across as a bit of a 'bean counter' that knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

Troth also lacks any kind of personality, and I'd imagine trying to strike a friendship or rapport with him would be 'challenging'.

Toby is the only one with any charm or personality - but he has his own sources in Thailand and elsewhere - so I would imagine he'd want to stay onside with those rather than 'treading on their toes' by sourcing from one of their competitors.
No question about it. Jake has the on-screen presence of The Fast Show's character Swiss Tony, only not so good looking or charismatic. Falls into the "Would you buy a used car from this man" category. That segment of him cooking those ultra-processed "food" stuff weight loss noodles was a real Bid TV moment.

I agree about Toby. He can be a bit shouty on Gems at times but, the Ruby Quartz farago aside, he has a professional integrity about him (as does his mother). When he came on to GC in the days of the "cupboard" studio, it was a pleasure to have GC on in the background.

I don't have quite the antipathy towards DT as some. In 2017, he fronted a range of African big cat jewellery (see example I bought attached, £79). I loved this and bought a second one off eBay for a present. God knows what they would ask now, especially considering the price of the black spinel on GC recently. I don't "get" jade in the way he does, at all, but I do get that he's passionate about it 😵! Certainly any jade that would make my heart beat faster, I can't or wouldn't want to afford.

(and, as a recent post of mine shows, I'm a cheapskate at times, who is a bit of a sucker for a pretty bit of agate 🙃)

Attachments

• IMG_20240214_062401.jpg
    IMG_20240214_062401.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 0
I don't trust myself so a while ago I brought in a tape measure from the shed. Use it all the time now to check what, say, 30mm actually looks like and measure something else in the house for comparison. It's saved me many a rash purchase.
I use three things: wooden ruler, sheet of paper, and pencil.

I also don't feel the vitriol for Dave Troth. He's alright. But then I also like Hattie, so it is horses for courses. I also feel a little sorry for Ellis. She is 60 and I think some of the things said about her are a bit unnecessary.

That said, I really like Toby. He just makes me laugh.

I can't stand Jim Brooman, Lindsey, Jess (the number of tops she owns doesn't register with me) and that awful squeaky, loud red-haired woman. They irritate the bejaysus out of me. So I make good use of the TV remote.

You can't please everyone😁

I also feel a little sorry for Ellis. She is 60 and I think some of the things said about her are a bit unnecessary.

If she's 60, she's old enough and experienced enough to know better - so her misleading antics and dodgy sales pitches rightly make her a target for being called out.

She's one of the biggest culprits for playing on the 'mumsy' image, 'friend in your living room' nonsense, constant sayings of "you've got to trust me on this" and showings of 'game of trust' VT's - yet she's one of the most misleading on the channel these days - and she ought to be disgusted with herself for THAT Tanzanite pitch that is mentioned in another thread. If she had any ounce of regret or morals, she'd have resigned for that farce alone.

If she's 60, she's old enough and experienced enough to know better - so her misleading antics and dodgy sales pitches rightly make her a target for being called out.

She's one of the biggest culprits for playing on the 'mumsy' image, 'friend in your living room' nonsense, constant sayings of "you've got to trust me on this" and showings of 'game of trust' VT's - yet she's one of the most misleading on the channel these days - and she ought to be disgusted with herself for THAT Tanzanite pitch that is mentioned in another thread. If she had any ounce of regret or morals, she'd have resigned for that farce alone.
If only!!

I also don't feel the vitriol for Dave Troth. He's alright. But then I also like Hattie, so it is horses for courses. I also feel a little sorry for Ellis. She is 60 and I think some of the things said about her are a bit unnecessary.

That said, I really like Toby. He just makes me laugh.

I can't stand Jim Brooman, Lindsey, Jess (the number of tops she owns doesn't register with me) and that awful squeaky, loud red-haired woman. They irritate the bejaysus out of me. So I make good use of the TV remote.

You can't please everyone😁
Is age an excuse for bad behaviour, or dodgy sales techniques? Or are we saying that as she's 60, she's starting to go a bit?

Being of a mature age doesn't necessarily mean that someone isn't all there mentally. But if someone is spouting rubbish because they're not as sharp as they used to be, then perhaps it's time for them to consider a different role in their place of employment?

Viewers are supposed to be guaranteed good service when making purchases, without being lied to or becoming victims of fraudulent activities. It doesn't matter whether the salesperson is 20 years of age, or 90 years old.

There's absolutely no excuse for it.

Is age an excuse for bad behaviour, or dodgy sales techniques? Or are we saying that as she's 60, she's starting to go a bit?

Being of a mature age doesn't necessarily mean that someone isn't all there mentally. But if someone is spouting rubbish because they're not as sharp as they used to be, then perhaps it's time for them to consider a different role in their place of employment?

Viewers are supposed to be guaranteed good service when making purchases, without being lied to or becoming victims of fraudulent activities. It doesn't matter whether the salesperson is 20 years of age, or 90 years old.

There's absolutely no excuse for it.

Particularly when Ellis tells us she trains presenters - so she should be setting an example!

In Poland 60-year-old women retire. The retirement age for men is 65.

My reservation is about the comments on her regularly showing the how to buy video. Maybe she does need regular breaks.

I'm not making comment on any mistruths etc, that clearly is not acceptable by any presenter

My reservation is about the comments on her regularly showing the how to buy video. Maybe she does need regular breaks.

I'm not making comment on any mistruths etc, that clearly is not acceptable by any presenter
Surely there are better ways to structure that if true, Instead of showing the same VT over and over and over.

Gemporia must have a load of different VTs they've made over the years for her and the gallery to choose from.

Possibly - but the 'show everyone how to buy' VT is quite short - so it's not really long enough to pop to the loo or anything worthwhile.

A quick drink off camera maybe - but that's about all there's enough time for.

Possibly - but the 'show everyone how to buy' VT is quite short - so it's not really long enough to pop to the loo or anything worthwhile.

A quick drink off camera maybe - but that's about all there's enough time for.
What did I say about a possible drinking problem? The floor staff must have their work cut out getting rid of the empties after our El's done a shift 😬

So, I did my bit and watched Gemporia a couple of days ago. Sorry all, I could only handle a few minutes of it. Had to switch over.

Edina & Kati were giving the pre price build up presentation to a 50ml bottle of eau de toilette.

Edina was saying people will wish they'd bought more than one & that she'd seen EDT bottles of that size & quality sell for three figures.

Really ?!?

I smell utter bs!

I collect perfume. I don't claim to be an expert, it's just a little hobby of mine. I do know that I've never come across 50ml EDT bottles selling for £100 or more! They may exist, but I"m not aware of any. Some of the most prestigious perfume houses wouldn't touch making eau de Toilette. The companies that do sell EDT very well, like Molton Brown, Philosophy etc, know their audience and have been masters of making it for many years. They have a huge, long standing loyal customer base and make beautiful, popular fragrances.

Compare those fragrance giants to a fledgling EDT brand that those who don't watch Gemporia have never heard of let alone smelt. & Edina thinks Gemporia's EDT could sell for around double what theirs does per ml? Really? I don't think so.

Sorry all, but after a few minutes of that drivel I had to switch over. To me it was pure hard sell & multi sell. The actual important product details weren't even mentioned like the fragrance components.

In the bit I watched neither Edina or Kati mentioned what the top, middle & base notes are. Let alone if any of the essences are natural or synthetic. They just waffled on about how everyone at Gemporia loves it & how it smells different on everyone, blah, blah.

I felt sorry for anyone who gets sucked in by this type of selling on Gemporia. Especially those who really can't afford it.

I smell utter bs!

I collect perfume. I don't claim to be an expert, it's just a little hobby of mine.
What a delight. Truly. Lovely to see someone, who has a collector's passion, posting on this element of TGGC . I know diddly squat about scents and wouldn't be able to tell at all if what Kati Elliot or her colleagues are spouting is BS. It's refreshing to see someone poke the Kati Elliot bear about this.

(The Marc Jacob "Daisy Daisy Daisy Daisy..." advert makes me want to reach for the blunderbuss more than anything I've seen on Hemporia!)

Now, where on the high street can I get a bottle of this BS you talk about? 😀

What a delight. Truly. Lovely to see someone, who has a collector's passion, posting on this element of TGGC . I know diddly squat about scents and wouldn't be able to tell at all if what Kati Elliot or her colleagues are spouting is BS. It's refreshing to see someone poke the Kati Elliot bear about this.

(The Marc Jacob "Daisy Daisy Daisy Daisy..." advert makes me want to reach for the blunderbuss more than anything I've seen on Hemporia!)

Thank you! I'm grateful and humbled by your reply to my comment AndyW. *I'm blushing".

I can't bear the thought of innocent people being ripped off.

Perfume can be made very cheaply. Literally a few pennies per £/€$. In many cases the ornate bottle & marketing costs far more than the fragrance does.

I've researched & learned during my amateur scent collecting, that the "value" of a fragrance very much depends on what's in it & how genuinely desirable it is.

When essential oils of amongst the most expensive are used, like sandalwood, jasmine or specific rose, understandably the price is higher. Hence some perfume houses and eau de toilette makers sell for a premium. And they are successful. They've got desirable, tried & tested fragrance products.

To get to that desirability globally takes good fragrances, ad money and talent. Usually over decades of building up their client base & reputation plus costly marketing.

For me, to see anyone attempt to try and merely ride on the back of that, with their relatively unknown EDT smaller bottle, 50ml offering, purely because they're on TV, really annoys me.

"Hemporia" presenters didn't even mention what's in their EDT. Yet Edina pitched their's with the globally known very best & implied what she & Kati were selling was worth double. No. It really isn't. Unless they can absolutely prove it. With those two waffling amateurs I personally won't hold my breath.

And on that fragrance note I completely agree re Marc Jacobs "Daisy". Ooops "Daisy, Daisy Daisy". Worra load of massively hyped up, over priced, sickly sweet, weak smelling rubbish imo.

They need new contacts as soon as possible. 🤝
I do wonder why Alex McKay moved on - and whether this was anything to do with their diminishing 'clout' with their contacts as things moved lower down the quality food chain and more "in-house experts" seemed to be taking over. It seems to me as though Alex has been thrashing around a bit working out what to do next - from what he said I thought he was intending to broadcast videos as a chef (or maybe it was write a cookery book, I can't remember which), but the next minute he said he was planning to open his own shop. All seemed a bit ad hoc for a planned exit.

I do wonder why Alex McKay moved on - and whether this was anything to do with their diminishing 'clout' with their contacts as things moved lower down the quality food chain and more "in-house experts" seemed to be taking over. It seems to me as though Alex has been thrashing around a bit working out what to do next - from what he said I thought he was intending to broadcast videos as a chef (or maybe it was write a cookery book, I can't remember which), but the next minute he said he was planning to open his own shop. All seemed a bit ad hoc for a planned exit.

He's definitely setting up an antiques business - but it's taken time in the background to set up.

I believe he's converted/converting a barn to operate his business from and / or store his antiques.

The cookery thing is more of a hobby thing I believe. It's something he's always talked about wanting to do.

So the antiques business is his job - and the cookery thing is a hobby.

I do wonder why Alex McKay moved on

Behind all the over-exaggerated stories and bluster, Alex is a clever bloke. I suspect he went for a number of reasons:

1. He could see the financial problems that Gemporia had and perhaps wondered how much longer the company would be around.
2. He probably though that even if it did survive, what was the long term outlook like.
3. With all the redundancies that had taken place over the past few years, morale must have been low amongst staff with many presenters perhaps wondering 'could it be me next' - particularly when presenters that seemed 'safe' had left (Rod Jinks being one of Steve Bennetts best friends).
4. Gem Collector has switched to having a producer/director waffling in their ear and doing the camera views, etc. Alex has always made it clear that the one thing he liked about Gem Collector was that he didn't have people in his ear, and that GC presenters had 'freedom' - unlike the main Gemporia channel. I imagine he wasn't keen on the switch to that kind of format.
5. The GC prices are now ridiculous. Alex perhaps felt that even he would struggle to shift some of their wares. I always got the impression that Alex worked on commission anyway because he'd often 'try it on' with prices - for example, he'd start at a price that was higher than you'd expect, then he'd talk about it for ages, and if he didn't "get a bite" at that price, he'd say "but I'm not stopping there" - and then crash the price. You could always tell that he was hoping to stop there - but because he hadn't got the bite he was hoping, he'd have to crash the price again.

I dare say voluntary redundancies were offered too when the last round of redundancies took place - so Alex perhaps saw that redundancy payout as an opportunity to put a lump sum of cash into his new business.

Latest posts

Back