Mike we are not mugs

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It is not my opinion that Mike has changed his style it is fact

Dig out any old Youtube clip even from 6 months ago and you will see a massive change and for the better

He is one of the best now at mentioning the extra charges (Without fail) and also explains returns policies clearly (always states you get back the sale price)

I still am not a massive fan of his but that is not a reason to constantly snipe at him

Yes, Mike has improved (much the same as James Russell) but I still find him patronising with some of his sales. I think they're towing the line a lot more now but time will tell.

Another example

On is promo for the weekly gadget thingy Mike always says its £.... and then mentions p+p and phone call costs will apply

I have NEVER seen or heard this mentioned on any shopping channel on a promo for a product that is not live on screen at that time.

I presume he has done this from his own back it certainly is not something that needs to be done regulatory wise

Why? What difference does it make?

Actually it makes all the difference Moet. Section 3.9 (Substantiation) of the BCAP states:-

'Broadcasters must hold documentary evidence to prove claims that the audience is likely to regard as objective and that are capable of objective substantiation. The ASA
may regard claims as misleading in the absence of adequate substantiation'

Now, I didn't watch the sale, in fact I have never once complained about Mike Mason but if what PJ says is wholly accurate a customer could be within their rights to ask for evidence that the prices were indeed lower because a presenter says he 'doesn't care for women's fashion he will sell it for silly money'.

Personally I wouldn't be arsed as it just sounds like typical Mason bullshit to me. But I reckon it could at least warrant a look if a customer seen fit.

the same saying i have heard him say in pretty much every show he has ever heard ladies fashion on

Another example

On is promo for the weekly gadget thingy Mike always says its £.... and then mentions p+p and phone call costs will apply

I have NEVER seen or heard this mentioned on any shopping channel on a promo for a product that is not live on screen at that time.

I presume he has done this from his own back it certainly is not something that needs to be done regulatory wise

He is not doing it off his own back-all the presenters are under a management directive to be transparent regarding call and postage charges.
This is a direct result of their problems with the ASA about the previous lack of transparency on this issue.

Fine

But he is going ABOVE what other presenters are doing in the things i have mentioned they are not directives or if they are every other presenter is ignoring them (unlikely)

I am sure the ASA may wonder why as is agreed he says that every time he has ladies fashion and certain people are very prolific with there complaints why it has not been bought to there attention at an early date.

Maybe because for whatever reason Mike is being nitpicked to his every word.

and i will state it again for Pjs and others benefit i do not particular like Mike infact he is in bottom 3 of presenters i like to watch

Now, I didn't watch the sale, in fact I have never once complained about Mike Mason but if what PJ says is wholly accurate a customer could be within their rights to ask for evidence that the prices were indeed lower because a presenter says he 'doesn't care for women's fashion he will sell it for silly money'.

This is why I said - who can judge "what is silly money"? At no point was it mentioned "I have no care for womens clothes so this is going to go lower than usual".

This is why I said - who can judge "what is silly money"? At no point was it mentioned "I have no care for womens clothes so this is going to go lower than usual".

He did say that. You said yourself you only saw the first 20 mins. It was almost word for word. You know me I don't like ladies fashion, it doesn't interest me so I told my producer to do it for silly money.

I am many things but I am honest.

PJ

I did watch him at the very start of his shift but I don't remember his exact wording. I remember he said he had no interest in ladies clothing and it would go for silly money. I was going to watch on because there was a maxi dress coming up that was sold earlier and I wanted to see if his 'silly money' was going to beat the earlier price it was sold at but I didn't stick with it.

To me, his 'silly money' quote implies a 'cheap as chips' price and to a new viewer, it could draw them in to keep watching. Nothing wrong in that and it is up to the customer if his 'silly money' means the same to them as it does to him, bearing in mind he likes to spend, ie £80 for his choice of stink. I personally would never spend £80 on something like that but it's entirely up to him if he does that.

If it's any consolation, I heard it and at the time thought, "yeah Mike, the prices might be lower than usual, but that's more down to the management, than the fact that the presenter isn't interested in the product he's selling!" I also remember a similar situation where Sophie was trying to have us believe that she was letting high end timepieces (watches) go for far too little money 'cause she isn't a watch expert - and I got a bit of flack for that too. I think PJ, it's best to leave it here as those you're trying to convince are about as interested in you proving your point as Mike is in selling ladies clobber!

I'm not one of Mike's fans as you know, but he is, along with a lot of other presenters trying to be honest where it counts - Some on the other hand need a good talking to!

Anyway onwards and upwards PJ :)

He did say that. You said yourself you only saw the first 20 mins. It was almost word for word. You know me I don't like ladies fashion, it doesn't interest me so I told my producer to do it for silly money.

I am many things but I am honest.

PJ

Surely if he said "the price is going lower than normal" you would have used that as a quote when opening the thread. As you opened the thread with the same quote as what I heard at the start of the show, I thought that I was in a good position to comment.

"it doesn't interest me so I told my producer to do it for silly money" again, "silly money" isn't a figure and can be interpreted in many ways. He could have sold it for £1,000 which would still have been "silly money" but would have been misleading in how he said it, but this shows how "silly money" can be interpreted in many ways.

I did watch him at the very start of his shift but I don't remember his exact wording. I remember he said he had no interest in ladies clothing and it would go for silly money. I was going to watch on because there was a maxi dress coming up that was sold earlier and I wanted to see if his 'silly money' was going to beat the earlier price it was sold at but I didn't stick with it.

To me, his 'silly money' quote implies a 'cheap as chips' price and to a new viewer, it could draw them in to keep watching. Nothing wrong in that and it is up to the customer if his 'silly money' means the same to them as it does to him, bearing in mind he likes to spend, ie £80 for his choice of stink. I personally would never spend £80 on something like that but it's entirely up to him if he does that.

If it's any consolation, I heard it and at the time thought, "yeah Mike, the prices might be lower than usual, but that's more down to the management, than the fact that the presenter isn't interested in the product he's selling!" I also remember a similar situation where Sophie was trying to have us believe that she was letting high end timepieces (watches) go for far too little money 'cause she isn't a watch expert - and I got a bit of flack for that too. I think PJ, it's best to leave it here as those you're trying to convince are about as interested in you proving your point as Mike is in selling ladies clobber!

I'm not one of Mike's fans as you know, but he is, along with a lot of other presenters trying to be honest where it counts - Some on the other hand need a good talking to!

Anyway onwards and upwards PJ :)

Thank you ladies I am glad to hear it wasn't just me. So then M&M and Newt O Bid see it wasn't me making it up.

PJ

Thank you ladies I am glad to hear it wasn't just me. So then M&M and Newt O Bid see it wasn't me making it up.

PJ

Pj i would appreciate it if you stop suggesting things i have said when i havent

When did i say you had made it up?

I dont think it is an issue, as per usual you do

simple really

Latest posts

Back