my love affair with qvc is over.....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I am sending a big virtual hug to all on this thread. I had notification of a tax rebate this morning and had it not been for this thread I think I would now be trawling QVC website looking for treats and now I am not going to do this!! Am going to have a long hard think about what I actually need rather than just acquiring more stuff just for the sake of it. I have had some lovely things from QVC but oh I have wasted so much money and it made me feel worse long term. Hooray for this forum xxx to you all

more ashamedly my 88 yr old nan has even given me money,and I've taken it - because she knows "I like to buy my bits and pieces" as she puts it.

I think your nan is only to happy to give you money for your "bits and pieces", you should not beat yourself up over it. She obviously loves making you happy and knows this is the way to do it.

I think if you tell her that you have decided not to buy anything from QVC she will still give you money for somethingelse.

thank you LL xx

Yes my lovely nanna does want to help me out but it doesn't make me feel great accepting it :(

I know that even when I've got my little debt sorted,she will still want to give me money - but I would feel better accepting to treat my kids or take her out to lunch.

I've done more soul searching than ever over the last couple of days,and just come to the conclusion,that QVC makes me a little bit greedy and a little bit selfish.

I've had a chat with my hubby,and agreed even £40 a month is acceptable to be able to treat myself - I think thats a lovely comprise. some people on here may think thats too high/too low..................or even unecessary - and as my hubby pointed out,once my £400 debt has gone - £40 a month is certainly a darn sight lower than the £100-£150 I was paying off my credit card every month.

I would have to say a BIG thank you to Love A'Kin for startin' the fartin' and Loveheart for her continuing support. I was buying more and more stuff, most of which is in the cupboard unopened and I reckon I will never get round to trying them. I was really wasting money on things I didnt need or want but was suckered into the 'this will give you the skin of a 20 year old' hype. Loveheart has been the voice of reason (with terrific humour) and although I know some dont approve of the farters, some of us really need that support from time to time and its never forced on those who dont as far as I am aware.

In all honesty, the best thing I have had for my skin is the Clarisonic recommended by our lovely Vampy. I have my Mir oil (also a Vampy & Donna gem) and can use any cream after that to make my skin glow. I still watch QVC a lot, its just on in the background and I enjoy the beauty hours but I could probably have bought a small country with what I have wasted in postage over the years :mysmilie_81:

Bet XX

Thank you for being so up front rainbowdottie. Debt can be a real millstone round anyone's neck and I hope all your financial worries can get sorted. About 20 years ago my husband and I were £150 overdrawn. We'd enough to pay the morgtgage, rates food etc but there was nothing in reserve and I nightmares about paying off what we owed. We paid it off in the end but the worry of it all left its mark. My best wishes to you.

Your post has said to me what lots of us have been saying to ourselves for ages- QVC's hype and wind-up suck us in- we buy bubble baths for £20, foundation that costs three times as much as the brand we buy in Boots, candles to mask invisible odours in our homes, etc, etc. All of us know that there are cheaper alternatives out there but our 'must-have, wanna-be' society draws us in. I've had my eyes opened and I'll still be dipping in to QVC but no rash, impulsive buys.

I really like the idea of having a treats allowance and I think I might copy this idea. I am trying to shift treat spending to the end of the month, i.e. instead if having a silly splurge when i get paid I am hoping to leave it til nearer the next pay day. So my plan is going to go like this: have a really good think about what I actually want\need, do some window shopping\internet browsing and then buy it a few days before my next pay day if I still really feel I can't live without it. This is the total opposite of the "jump to the phones" "limited stock" that used to somehow get into my head and make me feel I had to buy whatever it was they were promoting. Thanks again Rainbow Dottie, you have really made me think. I will still watch, but I have known for a long time I need to knock my spending on the head.

I have just managed to catch up reading all the posts on this thread today as my elderly dog was at the vets for an operation on wednesday and I have been very busy giving him some much needed TLC.

I must admit I have not really purchased that many things from QVC as I do object to thier P&P, I tend to buy things from web sites I can usually get free P&P and get the items at a good price.

I had to give up my part time job a couple of years ago and now as someone else has stated I allow myself a monthly budget usually £40 (£10 a week) I have my own credit card and buy my make up etc then pay off at the end of the month. We have an interest free cc for big purchaes which will expire shortly, we will then search for the best interest free card deal available and apply for that.

After reading the many posts on this thread it has made me realise the important things in life are free and while having the latest beauty product is nice it is not worth getting into debt. I applaud RD for starting this thread :mysmilie_696::mysmilie_696: as it has probabley helped many people take stock of thier spending habits.:mysmilie_687:

STF Hope your dog is ok now.

Yes Thanks RD for starting this great thread.

I think though, if I say to myself "OK £40.00 per month and no more", it will soon go up because there is something that is £42.00 and does that include P&P or not? Soon I'll justify spending £50.00 including P&P. I'll just accept that £50.00 is acceptable and then I'll find something for £52.00 and so on .............

I need to go cold turkey I think.:mysmilie_34:

Have to admit I did think what can you buy for £40 anywhere really.........not much these days..........but hey thats me being selfish again.......for me it would certainly allow me one top a month from my fave store,or one item from qvc - if its more expensive,well then,theres no £40 next month! I'm hoping it will really just make me go and think before buying,if anything.

Have to admit I did think what can you buy for £40 anywhere really.........not much these days..........but hey thats me being selfish again.......for me it would certainly allow me one top a month from my fave store,or one item from qvc - if its more expensive,well then,theres no £40 next month! I'm hoping it will really just make me go and think before buying,if anything.

You can do it ! :mysmilie_696:

STF Hope your dog is ok now.

Yes Thanks RD for starting this great thread.

I think though, if I say to myself "OK £40.00 per month and no more", it will soon go up because there is something that is £42.00 and does that include P&P or not? Soon I'll justify spending £50.00 including P&P. I'll just accept that £50.00 is acceptable and then I'll find something for £52.00 and so on .............

I need to go cold turkey I think.:mysmilie_34:

My pooch is much better today lizdelassa thanks very much for asking. It was quite a big op for a 15 year old, but today he is much more himself and has even played with one of his toys so a couple more days and he will be back to normal.

I understand what you are saying about going over £40 it does sometimes happen but you have to prioritise which products you actually need as opposed to want. I also know my visa bill is generated on 21st of each month so if I have already an amount on my card I wait until after 21st before buying anything else so it goes onto the next months bill therefore allowing me to clear my cc bill each month.

I know this might not work for everyone but it might be worth giving it a try, then you can still have your treats but stay in budget afterall we all need a treat now and again:mysmilie_696:

Congratulations Rainbow D for starting this thread and also for the other posters wise words.

I had a wake up call in October last year about bath products. I used to buy Decleor Alguaromes and the Systeme Corps in the 400ml sizes and some Philosophy.

I was out shopping and looking at things in a supermarket and the products smelt similar to Philosophy and I decided to buy at 99p I thought what can I lose. I also bought the large size of E45 cream aswell for my dry skin on my body that the systeme corps didn't clear.

Since then I have been buying these products ever since and haven't looked back. I am spending £7.00 maximum on my body compared to the £60 previously. My make-up kit is £10, Haircare £8 and my skincare is £16.

The only time I treat myself is my Birthday.

All I need to do now is to get everything else in perspective from bags, shoes, jewellery and clothing.

I'm getting there but it is a hard transition.

I feel that I am having a spell of being 'cured' from QVC purchasing at the moment.....no purchases recently and no urges.:up:

I feel that I am having a spell of being 'cured' from QVC purchasing at the moment.....no purchases recently and no urges.:up:

I have ben having that feeling lately, sort of like a QVC menopause!! or buyopause, been through a feckless adolescence of wild spending, then calmed down a bit and now, well it's been three months since I have wanted or more importantly bought anything

Me too. Last purchase was the ProStrong TSV on 22 Feb for Mother's Day, prior to that the L'Occitane TSV on 14 Feb. I have now got myself out of the habit of switching to channel 640 or checking the TSV and, to some extent, this QVC section of ST Forum. The odd time I have switched on the TV and tuned to QVC it has been a product or presenter I don't want to watch. Thanks Rainbow D. x

Thank you rainbowdottie for starting this thread and being so open and honest!

It has been quite uncomfortable for me to read some of it as I recognised a lot of things people have said in myself. I have never had any self esteem and although I have always been pretty good with money and am not in debt I now realise that I buy "things" to try and fill some kind of emptiness, or to attempt to make me feel better about myself.
I feel quite ashamed right now (not just because I'm watching the Lola Rose tsv presentation:cheeky:)

I don't spend anywhere near as much with QVC as I did when I first found it but it still has quite a big place on my credit card.

I shall have to keep reading this thread I think until it all sinks in.

Thanks again:clapping:

Just to update you.......................I haven't bought a thing,since writing this thread:angel::angel:

i was going to look at the birkenstock tsv this weekend,as a treat to myself - but not sure I like them.

Latest posts

Back