Observations on Carmel, Anna and Mikheal (not sure how to spell it)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well to be honest Gem Genie I don't think they're being lazy they more likely want to exclude you, and me and 'the establishment' from their banter. That's the whole divided society, 'excluded sections of' bit, et a. They choose to sound as different to those elements of society they feel as excluded by as they can. No such probs with the presenters though IMO. All speak beautifully in their varied accents.

I find Carmel's voice like chalk on a blackboard, I can't stand Craig... nothing to do with his voice or colour.IMO Anna has not improved much... it is taking her a long time to settle in,I find Miceal rather a good presenter,streets in front of the grinning gnome..CR.

My problem isnt the accent but rather the tone of voice! For example Scottish accents are lovely but not Ann Dawsons screecy tone!

As for the newbies - i like Carmel, Miceal less so and Anna, well there are no words to describe how dire she is!!!

I don't think its racist to say that you can't understand someones accent.

As a "Londoner" I'm often told I pronounce things wrong or more often I speak too fast :grin: but I don't take them as derogatory comments...

I wondered if there would be a 'review' thread now that the threesome have served their apprenticeships. They all get full marks from me for speaking slowly and clearly. But Anna has to rethink her dress style......or lack of it!

Last time I saw her she was wearing a dress half way to her bottom, quite unsuitable for this channel. And when she sat opposite the Yankee Candle lady thank goodness she was side on to the camera or it could have been :blush: :blush: all round!

I must say that I quite like Miceal and Anna. Not a fan of Carmel though. Nothing to do with her accent just that she spouts lots of inane drivel. I quite like the variety of accents that qvc presenters have and like that they don't go for the hard sell all of the time but are more informative about the products that they offer.

I wish I could say the same about IW presenters. They're all so rough sounding. Dennis had the cheek to "beg" us to buy the Phillips juicer a few minutes ago as it would change our lives. What is she like and how has she managed to keep her job?

Carmel has definately grown on me the most .. personally I quite like her now and find myself smiling at the TV when she's on. Don't really mind Miceal either way, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch him but I certainly don't feel an urgent need to turn him off. Hmmm, Anna ... I don't like saying it but I haven't warmed to her at all. She is the only one I actually switch straight off regardless of what it is she's presenting. It's those scary, wide eyed facial expressions and all the over exagerated smiling ... she makes me feel very uncomfortable.

Seriously, just watching Jill Franks with Linda P and her therapies. JF hasn't got the details right for the couple of sets I've seen her flog and she interrupts, cutting Linda off and ruining her flow. Really poor. Not seen the newbies commit these shopping telly crimes. Once saw JF paw an underwear model to swing her round. 'ever heard of verbally requesting woman'!!

I can take or leave any of the male presenters, none of them annoy me and I dont fancy any of them either. Of the women Julia and Jill make me have to watch through gritted teeth if I want to see the items.Jill for all the reasons others have stated numerous times and Julia for the finger wagging at guests and viewers and the annoying long pause followed by "ok" pause, before a new item numbah and general fishing for compliments. Anna needs to relax and be herself and Carmel is trying to improve and is at least always well dressed.

My two penn'orth.

Quite like Micael, find his speech clear, he is ordinary ( like me) and good with detail IMO. Cannot stand the presenting styles of all the other men except Charlie and occaionally have to switch off. Perhaps it's more difficult for men to do this job than for women ? Charlie's style makes me laugh - he's very tongue in cheek about it whereas Simon B and Dale F are completely smug and insincere.

I'm happy with most accents as long as I can understand the speaker, but I find that some presenters exaggerate their accents. Anne and Craig for example, almost to the point of charicature (sorry, verbal equiv, you know what I mean )

Linda xx

Luv Julia
Don't luv Jill

But find both of them the most watchable on QVC. In terms of "value". Know what I mean?

Re my racist comment, no its not wrong to dislike an accent, or to complain that you don't understand an accent, but it's potentially racist if you don't like a person BECAUSE of their accent surely?

I think Carmel is pretty good now - and she looked really nice the other day, clothes, hair and make-up. I think she's settled in and I don't mind watching her shows.

Incidentally I noticed a number of the 'older' regulars have had or are about to have significant birthdays recently (birthdays with an '0' in them as JR likes to say) so I guess it's good to have some younger guys and gals stepping up. Younger than me I must say...

Policemen and QVC presenters getting younger everyday!

xx

Generally speaking I love different accents..with the exception of the Liverpudlian accent but, this is more to do with the fact that a woman I used to work with spat on me every time she said certain words!!
I love the Southern Irish accent and a Geordie accent.I think Carmel is doing ok but Anna and Miceal leave me cold.
I can't stand Claire's totally fake accent,Richard Jackson's growling and the way Jill Franks mis pronounces words like "bran" new but on the whole the rest don't bother me.

i agree with nikkid - it's not the accent it's the voice. there are quite a few shriekers on qvc.

I agree with you Linda. Micael seems to be down to earth without any airs and graces.

I like varied accents too. The UK would be very dull if we all sounded like radio 4 presenters.

My two penn'orth.

Quite like Micael, find his speech clear, he is ordinary ( like me) and good with detail IMO. Cannot stand the presenting styles of all the other men except Charlie and occaionally have to switch off. Perhaps it's more difficult for men to do this job than for women ? Charlie's style makes me laugh - he's very tongue in cheek about it whereas Simon B and Dale F are completely smug and insincere.

I'm happy with most accents as long as I can understand the speaker, but I find that some presenters exaggerate their accents. Anne and Craig for example, almost to the point of charicature (sorry, verbal equiv, you know what I mean )

Linda xx

I think it's not so much how something is said or sounds but what is said. One of the blonde presenters refers quite often to her 'mummy'. Is this regional? Class? I find it odd, I have to say. She is generally very affected and acterish (if that is even a word) as a few of them are.

I have noticed that Will popping up a lot lately, i hope they are not going to bring him on as a presenter.

Aaaah, I disagree, I really like Will and wish they would put him on more and more. I would watch him over the likes of Simon "I've got this" Biagi anyday. Will has a lovely soft gentle voice to listen to and I think he always comes across professional and well versed on what he is talking about. And his hair style fascinates me too ha!, nope I really like Will as a presenter

Whereas Anna on the other hand .... OMG I reach for the remote control super quick, with her wrinkly nose poses thinking she thinks looks so cutey cute .... god she utterly does my head in. I have to switch her off as other wise I want to slap her LOL.

I'm not sure calling her racist is accurate or fair. Isn't racism about ethnicity, of which there are many different types in the UK? You can have a Scottish accent but be White British, Black African, Mixed Race etc. I think her criticism is against 'regional accents' and that's quite different.

I agree that Carmel has improved massively as a presenter and her 'softer' make-up and hair look is much more flattering. Personally I can't stand the gurning of Anna, the giggling of Micheal (unsure of spelling..), or the fact that Jill just will not finish a sentence. She practices the 'you know where I'm going with this so fill in the blanks yourself while I gasp for air and launch off in another direction' approach. Annoying!

Generally speaking I love different accents..with the exception of the Liverpudlian QUOTE]

Liverpudlian is different to Scouse Lemon. Scouse has the strong grating consonant way, whereas Liverpudlian is gentler. I am from Liverpool but do not speak Liverpudlian or Scouse. I am always asked where I am from and get surprised reactions when I tell. I hate the Scouse accent and it is cringeworthy when someone on the news gives their views or account. There is absolutely no excuse to sound like this and actually my ex and his family speak scouse but he can speak gentler when the mood takes him!

Latest posts

Back