Oooh, a new presenter!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Usually just lurking my fwend. I was just so miffed I had to chip in with my tuppence worth. xxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry and no personal disrespect intended, but what a load of nonsense. If he were heterosexual would anyone be saying "oh no, not another straight bloke"? Of course we can't help our thoughts, but not everything that comes to mind should be written down. That it's 2011 is totally relevant, as is the fact that we are in Britain. xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you argey!!! :sun:

So if it was ...say 1998 it would be OK? Because it's a particular year,everyone is suppossed to fall into line and not say what they think?
Rubbish.
I don't like racism,homophobia,or any discrimination but what loathe more than anything are the PC people who try and tell others that what they think is wrong and they can't say it.
All that does is gives more fire power to racists,homophobes and the like.
Saying "this is 20011 and we won't tolerate homophobia" doesn't mean that you'll stop people from feeling it or expressing it.In any event I fail to see how the comment was homophobic.I think it was just stating a fact.
I don't like egomaniacs ,especially on shopping channels ..and there are quite a few especially at QVC
Can I still say that?
Show the door to political correctness.Surpressing things has historically never served as a problem solver.

I only mentioned 2011 as I really thought we as a country had really moved forward, in the 80"s being Gay was not as easy as it is now, in Thatchers day Section 28, so in 2011 I never expected such a comment.

I may not be able to stop people from "feeling it" as you put it but I can stop it being posted on here.

new presenter

Turned on at 9.15 this morning and saw a new male presenter - who is he?

he's quite good. shows good product knowledge and is refreshing.

will miss anthony and adored daniel green. he was tooo good looking for qvc.glad the cooks essential guy did not get the job as he is not easy on the eye and talks a bit funny:too much saliva methinks.

What????

To each his/her own I suppose.

I only mentioned 2011 as I really thought we as a country had really moved forward, in the 80"s being Gay was not as easy as it is now, in Thatchers day Section 28, so in 2011 I never expected such a comment.

I may not be able to stop people from "feeling it" as you put it but I can stop it being posted on here.

Well yes,you can stop it being posted.The thought police and other similar comparisons spring to mind all in the name of political correctness.
Mustn't let people actually say what they think ,or feel ,and we must do all we can to stop those thoughts andf feelings from being on display for public view.Watch or read the book/flim "1984"
You talk about 2011? Well this is what this country has become in 2011.

So if it was ...say 1998 it would be OK? Because it's a particular year,everyone is suppossed to fall into line and not say what they think?
Rubbish.
I don't like racism,homophobia,or any discrimination but what loathe more than anything are the PC people who try and tell others that what they think is wrong and they can't say it.
All that does is gives more fire power to racists,homophobes and the like.
Saying "this is 20011 and we won't tolerate homophobia" doesn't mean that you'll stop people from feeling it or expressing it.In any event I fail to see how the comment was homophobic.I think it was just stating a fact.
I don't like egomaniacs ,especially on shopping channels ..and there are quite a few especially at QVC
Can I still say that?
Show the door to political correctness.Surpressing things has historically never served as a problem solver.

What or who anyone sleeps with is their private business and has nothing to do with the ability of doing a job. So I must admit that I fail to see how informative the comment " not another gay presenter" is suppose to be. Informing me that he is gay? I do not care. Homephobic by implication that we have enough of those? That is the way I took it.
So how, apart from saying that is not acceptable should we deal with it?

Personally I don't care if he sleeps with Daffy Duck....

Bring on the new men.....every one of them is one less request for Craig to present anything.......!!!!!!!!:grin:

Well yes,you can stop it being posted.The thought police and other similar comparisons spring to mind all in the name of political correctness.
Mustn't let people actually say what they think ,or feel ,and we must do all we can to stop those thoughts andf feelings from being on display for public view.Watch or read the book/flim "1984"
You talk about 2011? Well this is what this country has become in 2011.

I went to work in an office with a goup of older ladies many, many years ago. Everytime a male gay colleuge came into the room then left, they always came out with the Larry Grayson quote. They'd done it for years , the sniggers when the door was shut etc and more horrendous remarks and it was accepted as normal behaviour. When I arrived, I didn't find it amusing or remotely funny, partly due to the fact that my nephew is gay and because to my generation, it wasn't a issue. As the line manager I felt it was inappropriate but was accused of being "PC" . I couldn't change their attitiudes in the short space of time I had,but I could make sure they changed their behaviour which is what I did. To me, PC meant I was Perfectly Correct to stop that from happening. :happy:
In this day and age, surely peoples sexuality is nobodys business but their own. imo :sun:

Ryan, may I ask you if you'd think "oh no not another black man" would be acceptable? Much as I loathe excessive pc myself, there are just some things in life that don't need to be expressed. If you make figures of hatred (which doesn't take much prompting I'm afraid) out of certain groups - well I'm sure I don't need to give a history lesson. Whilst what you said may have seemed innocuous, the mere fact that you made the differentiation shows an unhealthy awareness of a "difference". There is a difference between being pc and considerate of others' feelings. Sometimes least said is bestest! :doh: xx

I went to work in an office with a goup of older ladies many, many years ago. Everytime a male gay colleuge came into the room then left, they always came out with the Larry Grayson quote. They'd done it for years , the sniggers when the door was shut etc and more horrendous remarks and it was accepted as normal behaviour. When I arrived, I didn't find it amusing or remotely funny, partly due to the fact that my nephew is gay and because to my generation, it wasn't a issue. As the line manager I felt it was inappropriate but was accused of being "PC" . I couldn't change their attitiudes in the short space of time I had,but I could make sure they changed their behaviour which is what I did. To me, PC meant I was Perfectly Correct to stop that from happening. :happy:
In this day and age, surely peoples sexuality is nobodys business but their own. imo :sun:
Can I ask how you would have reacted if it was another gay man making those comments?? I'm asking because I find your reaction rather zealous when the man in question hadn't made any complaint to you and I don't think it is at all helpful for managers to be outraged on another's behalf and then make an issue out of it unless there is a cast iron reason to do so. Imho to pull employees up over your perception of a situation is not helpful because it would probably cause resentment in the workplace and could actually create a situation that didn't exist before. Incidentally all the gay men I have known or worked with were always taking the pi$$ out of each other's 'gayness' and some of their comments were totally outrageous, but very very funny, as were their comments to the straight guys.

Can I ask how you would have reacted if it was another gay man making those comments?? I'm asking because I find your reaction rather zealous when the man in question hadn't made any complaint to you and I don't think it is at all helpful for managers to be outraged on another's behalf and then make an issue out of it unless there is a cast iron reason to do so. Imho to pull employees up over your perception of a situation is not helpful because it would probably cause resentment in the workplace and could actually create a situation that didn't exist before. Incidentally all the gay men I have known or worked with were always taking the pi$$ out of each other's 'gayness' and some of their comments were totally outrageous, but very very funny, as were their comments to the straight guys.

You can ask me anything you like PPC :wonder:
Sadly PPC, the remarks were made after the door was shut and my male colleague had left which is often the case with this type of behaviour I'm afraid. The man in question never knew the things they said about him as it was all done when he had left the room.
I wasn't actually outraged PPC, I was disgusted by the remarks they made about my male colleague tbh. They never once commented on anyone elses private life. I didn't feel my response was at all zealous given the conversations that took place after the door was shut and he had left the room. He didn't make a complaint PPC, because he never heard any of it. They were very careful who they made the remarks in front of, my perception was based on those facts.
Maybe some managers might not have said anything and just let it continue, I don't know, I can only answer for me and the situation I found myself in and I felt it was just plain wrong. I appreciate your point that it may have caused resentment but imo, that isn't a good enough reason for that specific type of behaviour to go unchecked. We may have to agree to disagree on that one. :thinking:

I think the other comments you made were with regard to "office banter"? That's subject to the individuals involved, type of office environment and also the type of employer. :sun:

Who decides what is pc and what isn't pc anyway.

What is it based on, is it a general concensus and because more do think one way then this is the right way?

Is it an individual's outlook on life based on their morals, being what they think is the right way to think about things and therefore everyone else should think that way or they are wrong and not pc?

Why therefore should one individual be right and others wrong and they feel so indignant about their point of view?

Phew this is a bit too deep for me...what was I saying I'm lost...:whew:

I think what was acceptable as banter and a laugh years ago is not acceptable now.
Many years ago there were several TV programmes which we would now see as being racist but at the time they were funny, however the idea of them being shown on TV now is just unbelievable.
Whilst one person may take issue with gay jibes another will just laugh it off.

Latest posts

Back