Penalised for returning items

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Your right, there are such things as Distance Selling Regulations which state that there is a legal requirement for a 'cooling off' period during which a customer can change their mind. Unfortunately, as is also stated, this does not apply to auctions.

This letter is a downright disgrace though. To say that they have a no quibble money back guarentee and then send a letter like this is absolutely the best way, in my opinion to lose custom! And doesn't the letter say that this level of returns isn't cost effective for them? Have they been smoking funny stuff? With the charges they levy for shipping in the first place, coupled with the fact that YOU pay to send it back, how on earth can they claim that they are losing out? If anything they are quids in because they don't refund the p and p when they receive the goods back, and they get to sell the product again! They have really got a nerve!

I find with them that goods look great on the screen, and you think what a great price it is, then you get it home and you realise the benefits of studio lighting and flattering camera angles, because what you have in front of you is a complete crock of you-know-what!

Hi all,
I have been a customer of the situp channels for many years and I have purchased alot of items and I mean alot during that time some of which I have returned which is understandable. Due to the extent of my shopping the number of returns average accordingly. I was shocked and felt very angry when I recently received this letter from them. Please click on the letter below once and then again when it has opened for a larger version.
Has anyone else experienced this ? :mad::confused:
View attachment 1402

Oh, you don't like it? Then shop somewhere else, you miserable hag. You think they're some kid of charity? Well they're not, so stop screwing them around. And to the rest of you, you have no right to pass judgement or criticise a company for their policies. The day you start a company, then you get to set the rules. For now, stop complaining- if you want to shop with them, shop with them, but don't take the mick. If you don't like it, go plague someone else.

What a first post ??? and calling someone a miserable hag isn't on at all.

oh, you don't like it? Then shop somewhere else, you miserable hag. You think they're some kid of charity? Well they're not, so stop screwing them around. And to the rest of you, you have no right to pass judgement or criticise a company for their policies. The day you start a company, then you get to set the rules. For now, stop complaining- if you want to shop with them, shop with them, but don't take the mick. If you don't like it, go plague someone else.

:11::11::11:

Oh, you don't like it? Then shop somewhere else, you miserable hag. You think they're some kid of charity? Well they're not, so stop screwing them around. And to the rest of you, you have no right to pass judgement or criticise a company for their policies. The day you start a company, then you get to set the rules. For now, stop complaining- if you want to shop with them, shop with them, but don't take the mick. If you don't like it, go plague someone else.

well, if you don't like our comments on here, to use your words 'go plague someone else'

Obviously an employee who can't see our point of view. Nasty so-and-so!

Dear Shopping Telly 1

It makes me very sad to see someone going all out to deliberately hurt the feelings of a complete stranger. I must assume that your own life is severly lacking in joy, and that nobody loves you, hence your need to lash out in such a cruel and spiteful way.

Good friends can be made on this site, what a pity you have chosen to throw away your opportunity.

Argeybargey

OMG i`m in shock with what comments you have said

Over a third of what you order you return? I guess that's quite a lot, but the letter is very blunt! Did they include the terms and conditions? What does that say?
Hi Anamooka, Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry for the delay in my response but I am having trouble with uploading the sheet of terms and conditions they sent me.:(

Are you for real?

My goodness! I nearly fell off my chair reading shopping telly 1' s post. That was totally uncalled for and so nasty! Hopefully your first and last post on this forum.

Disgraceful first post.............employee or manager by any chance?

I am glad that Queenbee has taken the high road with this post.

Dear Shopping Telly 1

It makes me very sad to see someone going all out to deliberately hurt the feelings of a complete stranger. I must assume that your own life is severly lacking in joy, and that nobody loves you, hence your need to lash out in such a cruel and spiteful way.

Good friends can be made on this site, what a pity you have chosen to throw away your opportunity.

Argeybargey

Very well said Argey! totally agree.

We have been shopping with sit up channels for over 5 years now, and have only had to return a handful of items among hundreds that we purchased. I would think that if the quality of the products was as bad as you make out, the obvious thing would be to shop elsewhere! I also find it interesting that this is all happening just after the Megadrop event, where it was plainly obvious that some people were just buying everything with the intention of sending back any that they didn't get for £1.......is that why two thirds of a prior posters items were sent back ??? To have to return two thirds of purchases is excessive by anybody's reckoning, and must be costing an absolute fortune in postage. No-one is forcing you to buy from Sit-Up, so if you don't like it then change the channel and go elsewhere!! And before anyone suggests it, no I don't work for them I am just one of their hundreds of more than satisfied customers.

We have been shopping with sit up channels for over 5 years now, and have only had to return a handful of items among hundreds that we purchased. I would think that if the quality of the products was as bad as you make out, the obvious thing would be to shop elsewhere! I also find it interesting that this is all happening just after the Megadrop event, where it was plainly obvious that some people were just buying everything with the intention of sending back any that they didn't get for £1.......is that why two thirds of a prior posters items were sent back ??? To have to return two thirds of purchases is excessive by anybody's reckoning, and must be costing an absolute fortune in postage. No-one is forcing you to buy from Sit-Up, so if you don't like it then change the channel and go elsewhere!! And before anyone suggests it, no I don't work for them I am just one of their hundreds of more than satisfied customers.

I think you've missed the point Dingo. This thread is regarding the abrupt letter sent to Queenbee, stating that her account would be closed if she continued returning items at the present rate. As we are constantly being told to get things home, have a look and if we don't like it them, then return
them, that letter is a total contradiction of what is said on air.

To respond to Queenbee's post in this aggressive manner, particularly after the very unpleasant post from Shopping Telly 1, seems to be very insensitive. Its a poor show that a person cannot say on here when they feel they have received shoddy treatment, without such unpleasant responses.

Nobody would deny your right to respond to Queenbee by defending Sit-up, but does it really need to be done in such unkind ways? How Queenbee and others choose to spend their money is entirely their own affair. If a service is stated as available then it should be available, and given the excessive additional charges made by the sit-up channels there is no way that they cannot afford handling. This would probably be covered simply in telephone charges, never mind the huge profits made on delivery, as the £7.99 and £8.99 delivery charges are likely to cost sit-up no more than £2 per delivery.

Just to clarify, it was I who said that I return on average two-thirds of purchases from channels in general. I have never bought anything from Sit-up, and have never returned an item because I was hoping for it to drop to a lower price than it did.

I buy almost exlusively from jewellery channels, and I like to see pieces of jewellery IRL before deciding whether or not I want to own them. Unless a piece screams "keep me", I don't. Without this perogative, I wouldn't shop from these channels at all. Fortunately, I'm happy to say that none of them has ever given me any hassle about it.

I would still question whether sending out these letters attempting to intimidate customers into not exercising their right to return items is really legal. I'm not a lawyer, but I wonder (a) whether these "falling auction" channels count as auctions for the purposes of the distance selling regulations, and (b) whether adopting such practices regarding returns is legally compatible with the promise of a "no quibble" money back guarantee.

If I'd had one of these letters, I'd be in touch with Trading Standards and/or the Advertising Standards Authority - if anyone tries this, it would be interesting to know how they respond.

Latest posts

Back