Penalised for returning items

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

We have been shopping with sit up channels for over 5 years now, and have only had to return a handful of items among hundreds that we purchased. I would think that if the quality of the products was as bad as you make out, the obvious thing would be to shop elsewhere! I also find it interesting that this is all happening just after the Megadrop event, where it was plainly obvious that some people were just buying everything with the intention of sending back any that they didn't get for £1.......is that why two thirds of a prior posters items were sent back ??? To have to return two thirds of purchases is excessive by anybody's reckoning, and must be costing an absolute fortune in postage. No-one is forcing you to buy from Sit-Up, so if you don't like it then change the channel and go elsewhere!! And before anyone suggests it, no I don't work for them I am just one of their hundreds of more than satisfied customers.

No, two thirds of the items were sent back because they were either not as nice IRL as had been thought, or the quality was not up to the standard required.

I have sent back a number of items due to the naff, tacky quality of the items when they have arrived. Granted, some stuff that I have received has been great, and I have gained a great deal of use and enjoyment out of it, but I have been desperately disapointed by the quality on a good deal of items that I have purchased, and as such, I send it back.

If I see that Curry's have a good deal on, I pop down there and check out the merchandise before I purchase it, and if it is not up to the standard I demand as a consumer, then I don't purchase. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury when purchasing from bid-up, and as such if an item/offer is attractive to me, then I shall purchase accordingly, and make my judgement when I receive the piece. If, upon receipt, it does not meet my expectations, then I return it.

I would add that by purchasing in this way, I am the only person that suffers, because not only do I not get my original postage charge refunded, I also don't get my return postage refunded, so all in all I end up a good £10 out of pocket each time I make a return.

Given that I am the one who 'suffers' when I make returns, I think you will agree that bid up have a darned nerve attempting to ration how much money I lose!

In so far as your final statement is concerned, really, I think it is our individual choice where and how we choose to purchase. If we then choose to express distain at letters etc received, we surely have the right to do that as well.

Found this too on the Speed Auction T's and C's (also owned by Sit Up, so must be pretty standard!):

Customers' rights under this Part E are in addition to the cancellation rights under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. Any customer may notify sit-up by phone on 08701 66 66 67 or contact us, that he/she wishes to cancel their contract before the end of the statutory cancellation period (7 working days from the day after he/she receives the goods). The customer must then return the goods to sit-up along with the returns slip which is enclosed with the goods. Items must be returned in an unused condition and with their original, unopened packaging. Nothing under these terms and conditions affects customers' statutory rights.

Nothing in there about only being able to return a third of pieces ordered!

Nothing in there about only being able to return a third of pieces ordered!
Quite, but the company also retain the right not to enter into a distance selling relationship with you if they do not want your custom. Regardless of the fact that returning items costs the customer about £15 a time after phonecall, initial and then return postage are counted, it still costs the company money to process these items. If they deem that you are costing them money, they will not wish to retain your custom. I find that the details on items on this channel can be very scant, that being the case and I feel I do not know enough about the item, so I will not buy it. I do not buy a huge amount from the telly, but have had some great buys over the years. I make a rule to only buy something that I actually have been considering before seeing it on screen - in the past I used to see something, think 'that looks useful' and buy it, without actually stopping to consider what I was doing. Buying from the screen is very seductive.

We have been shopping with sit up channels for over 5 years now, and have only had to return a handful of items among hundreds that we purchased. I would think that if the quality of the products was as bad as you make out, the obvious thing would be to shop elsewhere! I also find it interesting that this is all happening just after the Megadrop event, where it was plainly obvious that some people were just buying everything with the intention of sending back any that they didn't get for £1.......is that why two thirds of a prior posters items were sent back ??? To have to return two thirds of purchases is excessive by anybody's reckoning, and must be costing an absolute fortune in postage. No-one is forcing you to buy from Sit-Up, so if you don't like it then change the channel and go elsewhere!! And before anyone suggests it, no I don't work for them I am just one of their hundreds of more than satisfied customers.
Hi Dingo, Thank you for your comments. Just to clarify that it is one third and not two which I have returned and I have never bid in a megadrop. For example the last item I returned was a printer as the presenter did not specify that it only printed black only that it was state of the art so I expected a normal black and colour printer. As it wasn't I returned it.

Oh, you don't like it? Then shop somewhere else, you miserable hag. You think they're some kid of charity? Well they're not, so stop screwing them around. And to the rest of you, you have no right to pass judgement or criticise a company for their policies. The day you start a company, then you get to set the rules. For now, stop complaining- if you want to shop with them, shop with them, but don't take the mick. If you don't like it, go plague someone else.
Ignorance must be bliss, I wonder?
If I ran my company with your attitude it would have been insolvent years ago.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I have been a customer of the situp channels for many years and I have purchased alot of items and I mean alot during that time some of which I have returned which is understandable. Due to the extent of my shopping the number of returns average accordingly. I was shocked and felt very angry when I recently received this letter from them. Please click on the letter below once and then again when it has opened for a larger version.
Has anyone else experienced this ? :mad::confused:
View attachment 1402
I would just like to thank everyone for all your comments.
I feel that I should point out to some people that due to circumstances I do ALL my shopping either online or via the television shopping channels. This makes my purchase rate very high and also my returns rate accordingly. Many items have been faulty, not as specified or just not as good in the flesh as quite a lot of items I have returned have been jewellery. I do not purchase items for the sake of it. I buy things I need and like.
I appreciate that my returns level is high being approx a third but my main point for posting on here is the fact that I feel the letter I received was harsh and uncalled for in the way it was written. Do I take it that should I return another item my account will be terminated even if it is faulty? Surely this would be rather unreasonable.
Thanks again,
QueenBee ('The hag');)

Last edited:
Wow! Shoppingtelly 1 sounds like they have something up their arse, get over yourself

Do I take it that should I return another item my account will be terminated even if it is faulty?
I should certainly hope not - I think it was just a rather heavy handed attempt to get you to send less back in general. I daresay your account was flagged up automatically by their system and that it does not take into account faulty items etc. As you say, it would be unreasonable if you are returning items due to faults. :)

I should certainly hope not - I think it was just a rather heavy handed attempt to get you to send less back in general. I daresay your account was flagged up automatically by their system and that it does not take into account faulty items etc. As you say, it would be unreasonable if you are returning items due to faults. :)

Thanks Steven, I hope that this is the case as I have no gripe with the company as a whole. In fact their customer service, delivery and returns procedure are excellent. It was just receiving such an impersonal and abrupt letter which upset and miffed me.

Hi QueenBee, im very new to the forums, but felt I had to write, after reading the letter you received from the Sit Up Channels..... How rude to treat a good customer that way..... Im not surprised that you send a certain amount back, as things are not always described in detail, etc..... Hopefully, you will spend your money elsewhere........ Ive had no trouble with QVC & do like it for certain things...... but you do have to do your homework, as often items can be bought cheaper elsewhere..... If Sit Up start treating their customers like this, they may not be in business this time next year! :11:

Hi QueenBee, im very new to the forums, but felt I had to write, after reading the letter you received from the Sit Up Channels..... How rude to treat a good customer that way..... Im not surprised that you send a certain amount back, as things are not always described in detail, etc..... Hopefully, you will spend your money elsewhere........ Ive had no trouble with QVC & do like it for certain things...... but you do have to do your homework, as often items can be bought cheaper elsewhere..... If Sit Up start treating their customers like this, they may not be in business this time next year! :11:
Hi Daisy2911, I hope you are enjoying the forum.
I haven't had a any problems with QVC either since day one nor the other shopping channels. If Sit-up would give a fuller description of some items rather than just how low the price is going would be more helpfull.
The letter written in such a manner was was certainly uncalled for. I'm still feeling very miffed about it and I hope that nobody else has any similar experiences.

Quite, but the company also retain the right not to enter into a distance selling relationship with you if they do not want your custom. Regardless of the fact that returning items costs the customer about £15 a time after phonecall, initial and then return postage are counted, it still costs the company money to process these items. If they deem that you are costing them money, they will not wish to retain your custom. I find that the details on items on this channel can be very scant, that being the case and I feel I do not know enough about the item, so I will not buy it. I do not buy a huge amount from the telly, but have had some great buys over the years. I make a rule to only buy something that I actually have been considering before seeing it on screen - in the past I used to see something, think 'that looks useful' and buy it, without actually stopping to consider what I was doing. Buying from the screen is very seductive.

...and if that is how they feel about a customer that has spent as much with them as QueenBee, then frankly they can shove it up their jacksy! If they don't want my esteemed colleague as a customer, then I don't want them as a supplier, and given the current economic climate, they don't want to be making too many people feel that way, do they?

At the root of this, apart from a revisionist approach to terms and conditions by Sit-Up that Stalin would have been proud of, is the fact that the presentation is such crap - either due to the presenters or the script they follow - and this engenders a high return rate.

...and if that is how they feel about a customer that has spent as much with them as QueenBee, then frankly they can shove it up their jacksy! If they don't want my esteemed colleague as a customer, then I don't want them as a supplier, and given the current economic climate, they don't want to be making too many people feel that way, do they?

You're missing the point. These companies are in business to make money. When people purchase an item most of the processing is automated and the associated costs are minimal. However, when an item is returned an individual will have to check the individual item (see whether faulty or if all parts have been returned), manually process a refund, possibly relist the item to resell on their website (the low quantities of some items on the website have shown this is what they do).

I think they should make their T&C's clearer so that its more explicit that higher returns may lead to a customer being unable to continue purchasing. However, the idea that because you buy a lot you have some God given right to remain a customer is ridiculous. I've seen their accounts and their profit margins are extremely low; if you break that down to an individual customer and then factor in all the returns its almost certain they make a loss on anyone with a higher than average number of returns. This year in particular, with the loss of freeview carriage for price-drop they're likely to be struggling to make a profit, and hence I think its entirely understandable if they want to reduce the number of loss-making customers for them

Cropstar, please don't assume I need a lesson in Business. I have been running my own for 15 years, exceptionally successfully, thank you very much.

I am very much of the attitude that while The Customer isn't always right, they always have a reason for their decisions. If a Customer is making a high level of returns, I want to carry out some investigation to find out what I am doing wrong. Is it the way I am describing items?? Is it the quality of items from one particular supplier?? This kind of information is invaluable to any business and commisioning a research company to gather this info would cost an absolute fortune. Rather, you contact the customer and converse with them, thus they are part of the process and feel valued. You can also collate this information and make amendments to your business to improve your service/products accordingly.

What you don't do is send a letter to a customer that risks offending them, that they will then tell their friends about, and risk losing goodness knows how many customers. This simply does not make sense, and is absolutely not good for the bottom line.

Re:What you don't do is send a letter to a customer that risks offending them, that they will then tell their friends about, and risk losing goodness knows how many customers. This simply does not make sense, and is absolutely not good for the bottom line.

Thank you:35: I couldn't agree more as this is my point entirely. Their letter certainly did offend me as the manner in which it was written was totally uncalled for.

Cropstar, please don't assume I need a lesson in Business. I have been running my own for 15 years, exceptionally successfully, thank you very much.

I am very much of the attitude that while The Customer isn't always right, they always have a reason for their decisions. If a Customer is making a high level of returns, I want to carry out some investigation to find out what I am doing wrong. Is it the way I am describing items?? Is it the quality of items from one particular supplier?? This kind of information is invaluable to any business and commisioning a research company to gather this info would cost an absolute fortune. Rather, you contact the customer and converse with them, thus they are part of the process and feel valued. You can also collate this information and make amendments to your business to improve your service/products accordingly.

What you don't do is send a letter to a customer that risks offending them, that they will then tell their friends about, and risk losing goodness knows how many customers. This simply does not make sense, and is absolutely not good for the bottom line.

Hear hear Sheffield Owl. That is EXACTLY what a good business would do. The letter sent out to QB showed very poor customer relations. If they dont want to contact the customer to discuss the matter, then the letter should be worded differently as the the tone of it has obviously angered/upset not only the recipeint but a lot of us on this forum.

Bet

QueenBee

I too can well understand why you're upset - i'd be livid if i were a "valued customer" and sent a letter like this. I also noted that they only bothered telling you that you were valued at the end of the letter! Another mistake on their part IMHO.

I would definitely write back if I were you, saying how disappointed you are that they are offering a try and buy service yet penalising those who take advantage.

And as has been suggested, point out that they really ought to be finding out WHY you are returning items instead of simply chastising you for making use of their well-advertised policies!

I for one won't be bothering with them after reading this.

Latest posts

Back