Perricone - Dont be sucked in

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I may have considered giving this brand a go, but £6.45 p+p is way over the top. Just as well, really, as I don't think this would have been a repeat purchase, whatever the results, as it is too expensive. I can well believe the negative reviews it gets. How exorbitant a price is £200 for a moisturiser? Are we supposed to think it is vfm because 'Dr Perricone' is a dermatologist to the 'stars'? I'll remain loyal to Elemis and Judith Williams.

The Anti-aging Beauty Bible is keen on Liz Earle's Superskin Concentrate for the neck area..it keeps mine well moisturised and has helped with a bit of 'turkey neck' syndrome but have noticed no changes to the few necklace lines I have. There was a discussion on here recently in which Donna(who knows about these things) said that once the neck goes, nothing other than a lift can help. I fear she is right and as usual genetics play a major role in how you age, well or not so well.

I am a LE fan and use the superskin every night on my face and neck - love it! During the day i use Pure Prai Serum on my neck and chest after moisturiser. Prai is a brand that is frequently mocked and laughed at on here, but I have been using the serum for over a year and i think it is great. I do not have many lines on my neck luckily, it can't be the genes as my mother had plenty at my age, but then she was/is a heavy smoker.

Kara's face looks smooth & plump, but unfortunately her neck gives her away.
Dr Scalpel or Dr Needle has been at work I think.

I couldn`t agree more there ...and I don`t like how last night she said something to the affect ..`she didn`t want to bore us with the science` or words to that affect.....perhaaps she thinks we are too thick to understand or she isn`t capable of putting across the `science of the appliance`.... I`ve stopped throwing good money after bad, as has been said all you can hope is to keep your skin moisterised and fresh looking and hopefully the wrinkles won`t be quite as noticeable There are no miracle cure all no matter what you pay.

I'm no chemist, but from what I can see, the research on cross linked collagen to wrinkles seems to be heavily based on research done on poor hairless meeces exposed to large doses of UV light - not sugar. As cross-linked collagen is irreversible, it seems pointless to waste huge amounts of money on skin creams which cannot possibly make a fat (excuse the pun) lot of difference!

Stay out the sun, don't use sunbeds and use a good factor 30 on your face is about as good as it can get.
As for sugar, a little fat on the face doesn't hurt - it can help the situation especially once you're past 50 and the change in hormone levels affects the skin elasticity.

No amount of creams, potions, gels and serum, whatever the brand or price will hold back the years - the Elixir of Youth is still being sought ! What these products do is stop the skin from drying out like an old leaf - remember the Nulon advert ?

I am a great advocate of CACI - I paid for the initial full course 8 years ago, and am fortunate in being able to afford monthly 'top ups' with proven results - this is the only treatment where I have SEEN a difference in my skin. Its been my best ever investment, I am coming up 64 with only a few laughter lines around the eyes - the rest of my face is wrinkle free.

If you don`t mind me asking what is CACI?

Im dying to know what the TKmax "anonymous" brand was. I've been looking for a serum with a higher percentage of glycolic acid so i can add into my normal regime. I've seen MD formulations, but its a bit expensive.
Please do tell.
:)

Similar to sellotape behind the ears and above the nips :tongue:

or more brutal -

Marlene Dietrich invented her own rudimentary technique to hold back the years.

During the filming of the 1944 film Kismet when Dietrich was 43, she had her make up artists twist tiny strands of her hair around hairpins which were then pulled fiercely tight and fixed further back onto her head - sometimes with such determination they would draw blood.....
The star would run a fine gold chain under her chin and behind her ears that would be concealed by her hair. The chain pulled back sagging skin and held it in place, making her look decades younger
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ce--The-unlikely-secrets-Hollywood-icons.html

No amount of creams, potions, gels and serum, whatever the brand or price will hold back the years - the Elixir of Youth is still being sought ! What these products do is stop the skin from drying out like an old leaf - remember the Nulon advert ?

I am a great advocate of CACI - I paid for the initial full course 8 years ago, and am fortunate in being able to afford monthly 'top ups' with proven results - this is the only treatment where I have SEEN a difference in my skin. Its been my best ever investment, I am coming up 64 with only a few laughter lines around the eyes - the rest of my face is wrinkle free.

not denigrating your CACI at all Brissles, I've not tried it, but I'll be 65 this year and practically wrinkle-free too except when I smile - thank God for a dollop of good genes!

If people want to try a skincare brand by a world renowned, leading dermatologist; try Dr Nick Lowe available at Boots, it's very reasonably priced and better than Perricone IMO.

Completely agree. I think it's great when people give information such as % of ingredients in products and that sort of thing, informative stuff. But so many people on here present their own opinions about ranges as fact (even where they have never tried said ranges) because they read something about it on the internet (so it must be true) and then call other people who want to try the products suckers for believing anything will make them look better. I don't understand why people get so angry about what other people choose to spend their money on.

I think people also remember the past through rose-tinted specs. My grandma always used soap and nivea. After she died my mum started saying what lovely, wrinkle-free skin she used to have. I remember a lady with wrinkles, as you'd expect of someone in their late 60s. Women can and often do look younger today for longer and that has to be because science has moved on and skincare can offer us more.

Of course it is up to individuals to decide how much & on what they spend their money on. I'm only answerable to Himself for what I spend our money on so it does not hurt me one little bit if someone decides they like the sound of a product and buy it.
I don't think people have been lecturing. I think they have been giving honest opinions. Indeed, the OP began by telling us why she did not rate the product which she had used. Other people have left feedback praising Dr Perricone's products.
For my part I stumbled across an article on the internet written about Dr P & his products which was not complimentary at all & posted a link on this forum. I can no more say it is true because it was on the internet than Dr Perricone can say his claims are true because they are written on the labels of his products.
I will say this however - the whole industry is a money spinner. QVC seems to be devoting more air time than ever to Beauty products, even a dedicated channel. I note today - Beauty Day - they are pushing brands that range from £12.00 for bareMinerals Blemish Remedy and Brush
to £300.00 for Perricone 2 Piece Neuropeptide Facial Collection.
Trying to suck people in? Something for everyone? I think so & why not? It's a business. A somewhat deceitful one maybe, but a business nevertheless
In my view the industry relies on people's fears, hopes & misconceptions and, of course, Science! There has been some evidence to suggest that some of these age defying creams are so potent that they can have effects that some people may not wish to encounter such as increased sensitivity reactions to products.
Yes, my grandmother had soft skin. She used Ponds Cold Cream on her face and Olive oil on her body.
It was wrinkled. Mine will be too.

Last edited:
Based on a January 6, 2010 Skin Deep report by the Environmental Working Group, at least seven of 26 Perricone's products were found to contain nanoparticles, while a total of 25 contain a wide range of other toxic ingredients. These include carcinogens such as acrylamide, and carcinogenic contaminants such as ethylene oxide, dioxane, nitrosamines and acrylamide, and formaldehyde. They also include allergens, and toxic hormonal ingredients. Accordingly, the Environmental Working Group rated 25 of Perricone's products as posing "moderate to high hazards."
Not surprisingly, Dr. Perricone has failed to endorse the California's 2007 Campaign for Safe Cosmetics Act. This requires cosmetic companies to disclose their toxic ingredients on a public website.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/samuel-s-epstein/skin-care-the-unrecognize_b_418900.html

I actually agree with the Perricone theory that for certain people ( including myself ) eating bagels , cookies and sugery foods can be very addictive ! I can even add quite a few more foods to the list which also includes cheese , peanut butter and all other forms of bread . When I exclude these from my diet I can then be in control my food intake instead of the food conrolling me !!!

On the subject of the skincare range :---- even if they were to work extremely well , people would then feel obliged to spend large amounts of money continuously to maintain the improvement. I fall into the category of those using good inexpensive basic products that suit the complexion (eg. Aldi ) and ignoring these costly overhyped QVC beauty items .

Yes, I saw the promotional CACI poster with Amanda, and commented that she perhaps wasn't the best person to advertise its benefits.
Yes it does tighten up the slack muscles, but like anything else, the procedure has to be kept up, which is why monthly top ups are essential.

CACI is a treatment where hand held electrodes are used to massage and 'exercises' the muscles in the face. I'm told it was used / or something similar, in the treatment of Bell's palsy in hospitals (where one side of the face has 'dropped') - whether its still used I cant say, but I can see the logic in it. Then I suppose some bright spark thought there would be money to be made in using it for cosmetic purposes.

Whatever, its helped me, and I can soon tell when I'm ready for a 'top up" !!!!!

Im dying to know what the TKmax "anonymous" brand was. I've been looking for a serum with a higher percentage of glycolic acid so i can add into my normal regime. I've seen MD formulations, but its a bit expensive.
Please do tell.
:)

The Glycolic range from Bravura London is excellent and inexpensive. The 15% Night Cream has made a big difference to my skin in the year I have been using it. They do a pretty comprehensive range of different strengths and formulas and are straightforward in their advice on how to use it and what it contains.

Latest posts

Back