Product Recall

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Am I right in thinking that it has just been pendants and earrings so far being recalled?

The pendant was part of a larger order but which also included a 9k YG diamond ring (pour moi), hopefully that then might escape the recall......as I rather like it and wouldn't want to part with it! :eek:

Certainly mine have been Sacha BUT looking at the rings in the items numbers that are close, I have a horrible suspicion that they're involved too. They "look" very samey if you know what I mean. I know I've got a pair of earrings that are on the list but I haven't had a letter yet ...... watch this space!

OMG that is a total disgrace Mesh.

I can not believe they are telling you about it now 8 months later, you have every right to be angry.

Have you sent them to be tested? And when do you expect a reply?

I for one will be very interested in what they say about the "gold".

Please let us know soon hun.

With people getting letters about this from gemsTV, sometime after the purchase, do you think they are doing it out of kindness or because they were backed into a corner?(mattel toys, Fern Britton etc etc all come to mind along with numerous others)

Steve A has posted a group on facebook, i dont know if anyone else has seen it, but the job he left gems for hasnt worked out, he is now looking for another job, I say we get a petition going to get him back to gems and sort the mess out, id sign it in a heartbeat

Has anyone consulted Trading Standards about this?

Meggie

I am not sure what Trading Standards would do, IMO GemsTV could not have done anymore, as soon as they found out they ordered a full product recall. The value of The Jewellery is not affected.

I have read posts about gifts to friends, if they are good enough friends to receive a piece of Jewellery from you then I am 100% sure they will understand if you tell them the situation. Say it was a toaster that could blow up being recalled you would have to tell your friend.

Please lets get behind a channel doing the right thing, I have run this site for over 7 years and have seen so many not do the right thing.

Steve A has posted a group on facebook, i dont know if anyone else has seen it, but the job he left gems for hasnt worked out, he is now looking for another job, I say we get a petition going to get him back to gems and sort the mess out, I'd sign it in a heartbeat

So would I Rebecca, we would all love to have Steve back at the helm......but would he want to come back and have to sort out all this mess??

Seems to me there's been a big void since he left - no customer and forum contact from management - no interest shown in their customers concerns and so on.

It just seems that when Steve left all the excellent rapport and goodwill (Gems had with their customers)........went with him! :eek:

I am not sure what Trading Standards would do, IMO GemsTV could not have done anymore, as soon as they found out they ordered a full product recall. The value of The Jewellery is not affected.

I have read posts about gifts to friends, if they are good enough friends to receive a piece of Jewellery from you then I am 100% sure they will understand if you tell them the situation. Say it was a toaster that could blow up being recalled you would have to tell your friend.

Please lets get behind a channel doing the right thing, I have run this site for over 7 years and have seen so many not do the right thing.

you acutally have made some good points in that Graham i agree with at least Gems tv are trying to do the right thing when they found out about it

well, that is awful Meesho! Especially as some of the items were gifts, or you are very fond of them. In case you cannot return items, which I think is the case for many of the unfortunate clients, they should provide a better solution, like half price refund or something similar.
It also depends who is handling your case in CS. I send them an email enquiring a return not been processed, and got 2 replies: one very polite, informing me thay had a backlog (probably all the faux 9k-yellow gold items flowing in), and that the refund will be processed this week, the other email very blunt that they don't have a lot of time ATM, refunds are done after 28 days and that my inquiry is way too early:eek:

So would I Rebecca, we would all love to have Steve back at the helm......but would he want to come back and have to sort out all this mess??

Seems to me there's been a big void since he left - no customer and forum contact from management - no interest shown in their customers concerns and so on.

It just seems that when Steve left all the excellent rapport and goodwill (Gems had with their customers)........went with him! :eek:

Before the forum crash they did join the forum, sadly like everyone else their membership was lost when we had to rebuild the site.

Yesterday they contacted me to give me details of what was going on and I can assure you that they take comments posted on this forum very seriously. But as I have said in another post, I am not sure what more that they could have done.

I think what has upset most people in all this is that it's taken so long to come to light. If items are hallmarked, surely they have to be tested first before they go on sale? Does this not cast some doubt on the efficiency of the Assay Office and the validity of the hallmark?

How come it's taken 8 months to be discovered? What are the chances of other batches having similar problems that it may take several months to find out? It may be a case of Gems providing more reassurances about all this, what if you hadn't contacted them Graham, would we be any the wiser as they don't seem to want to answer customer queries?

I don't see this as just getting behind a company trying to do the right thing. If they hadn't done the wrong thing in the first place none of this would have happened. This may well be a storm in a teacup but some of us have spent small fortunes with Gems in good faith and it's very disappointing to have that faith rocked.

I think what has upset most people in all this is that it's taken so long to come to light. If items are hallmarked, surely they have to be tested first before they go on sale? Does this not cast some doubt on the efficiency of the Assay Office and the validity of the hallmark?

How come it's taken 8 months to be discovered? What are the chances of other batches having similar problems that it may take several months to find out? It may be a case of Gems providing more reassurances about all this, what if you hadn't contacted them Graham, would we be any the wiser as they don't seem to want to answer customer queries?

I don't see this as just getting behind a company trying to do the right thing. If they hadn't done the wrong thing in the first place none of this would have happened. This may well be a storm in a teacup but some of us have spent small fortunes with Gems in good faith and it's very disappointing to have that faith rocked.

I didn't contact them, they contacted me. It took 8 months as GemsTV were just not aware of the problem till it was brought to their attention by a customer. Then they did IMO the correct thing and ordered a full product recall.

I didn't contact them, they contacted me. It took 8 months as GemsTV were just not aware of the problem till it was brought to their attention by a customer. Then they did IMO the correct thing and ordered a full product recall.

But why wasn't this picked up by the Assay Office Graham?

But as I have said in another post, I am not sure what more that they could have done.

I agree that it looks as though Gems has been on the receiving end of some underhand business, and to recall the items and give a refund is the right and straightforward thing to do. It seems to me that one sticking point is where people have given the items as presents. I'm not one of the people affected here, so I can only try and imagine what I would do in the same position. I know that I would find it easy to explain the circumstances to some people that I give jewellery to as presents, and could then let them choose to either give it back to me (so that I could return it and get them something else) or keep it if they love it. But I can easily imagine that there are circumstances where this would only cause embarrassment - in those cases return isn't an option, but it doesn't seem right that nothing should be done at all.

It is also a problem (and this applies whether the jewellery was kept or given as a present) that the price of gold has escalated so much since last autumn. Obviously this isn't Gems' fault, but it does affect how easy it will be to find an equivalent replacement with the refund.

Last edited:
Sorry Graham,

But I disagree with you. GTV should, at the very least, offer to refund the original P&P. That is where I think Trading Standards would come in.

Meggie

I know it is not exactly the same but my mum once gave presents, think they were for Christmas to a friends two grandkids. A few months later she got an e-mail from Boots to say that the items she bought were being recalled due to a safety issue and we should return them to the shop for a refund. Mum gave friend a call and told her and she was grateful that mum had told her and she'd get them and return them to Boots.

If you have given an item affected by the Gems recall as a present then perhaps you could contact the person and explain the situation and see if they are happy to keep the item or if they want you to return it.

One other point, surely the Assay Office are at fault here too?

Last edited:
I agree that it looks as though Gems has been on the receiving end of some underhand business, and to recall the items and give a refund is the right and straightforward thing to do. It seems to me that one sticking point is where people have given the items as presents. I'm not one of the people affected here, so I can only try and imagine what I would do in the same position. I know that I would find it easy to explain the circumstances to some people that I give jewellery to as presents, and could then let them choose to either give it back to me (so that I could return it and get them something else) or keep it if they love it. But I can easily imagine that there are circumstances where this would only cause embarrassment - in those cases return isn't an option, but it doesn't seem right that nothing should be done at all.

It is also a problem (and this applies whether the jewellery was kept or given as a present) that the price of gold has escalated so much since last autumn. Obviously this isn't Gems' fault, but it does affect how easy it will be to find an equivalent replacement with the refund.

Very good point Pimms.

Hmmm, very suspicious, if they didn't actually know then it concerns me that they sell items they have no true knowledge of its origin or make-up, I'm not convinced that they were unaware, to claim ignorance is an easy excuse.

I would very much like to hear from the customer that informed them, I suspect they personally have made this product recall the only way out.

One other point, surely the Assay Office are at fault here too?

Assuming it was hallmarked at the assay office?? I've bought items from the internet before with fake hallmarks, I was informed by the London assay office that it is pretty common, they can tell if it is genuine or not but it is difficult for the customer to tell apparently.

Latest posts

Back