QVC's pricing on some brands now ridiculous.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Totally agree Tinkerbelle - you do have to be very careful on ebay. I tend to stick to a few business sellers whom I trust because I've bought lots from them in the past. I tend to avoid private sellers for exactly the reason you state - you just don't know how long they've had stuff hanging around before trying to flog it! I also look to see if they are selling more than one or if they have sold others first. If you do get lucky, there are big bargains to be had. The £80 PCMC was a price I saw from one of my trusted outlets.

I guess you're always going to get bad apples in a batch though. I've had gone-off product from QVC in the past. One was a Gatineau throat gel that smelled appalling when I opened it and a pack of ABC's tea-tree wipes that were more than 6 months out of date! And, of course, all the experiences we've read on here about receiving used clothing, bags and jewellery. The thought of that being beauty products is just gross!

About 6/7 years ago they used to do some nice bits of jewellery, Sterling silver with precious and semi-precious stones in them very reasonably priced - I bought a few different bits as gifts and one for myself - but these days you don't see the same quality for reasonable prices.

People want more of everything, whether it`s clothes, makeup, skincare, jewellery or household gadgets and they want it NOW. I know we shouldn`t harp on about the past but not too many years ago hardly anybody got paid monthly, let alone straight into their bank account, hardly anybody had a credit card or debit card, few people had overdrafts and the only things you applied for HP/credit on, were either cars or large items of white goods or furniture. People saved or bought secondhand, used cash for their day to day living expenses and if they did have any money left over at the end of the week, it either went into a thrift tin or a post office savings account book. People were happy with owning one nice bottle of perfume or one expensive handbag or one diamond ring etc and saved long and hard to buy what most people viewed as life`s luxuries.
Fast forward to today and people no longer view them as luxuries but as necessities, they want a choice of bags, shoes, jewellery, skincare in their bedrooms, they want to follow trends and they don`t want to have to wait for anything or save for anything, they want it asap and they want more and more of the same, each one supposedly bigger or better than the last. They swipe a card, its easy, they type in a few numbers onto a website, it`s easy, they pick up a phone and order something, it`s easy and so on and so on and in many peoples cases they don`t want to crunch the numbers until either their bank statements arrive or they log onto their bank account and they fool themselves than 3 x £20 payments isn`t as much as 1 x £60 payment so therefore its justified.
It`s who we are and how we`ve become and much as we as customers have evolved, the methods and ways of selling and paying for things have evolved too and IMO not always for the better.

People want more of everything, whether it`s clothes, makeup, skincare, jewellery or household gadgets and they want it NOW. I know we shouldn`t harp on about the past but not too many years ago hardly anybody got paid monthly, let alone straight into their bank account, hardly anybody had a credit card or debit card, few people had overdrafts and the only things you applied for HP/credit on, were either cars or large items of white goods or furniture. People saved or bought secondhand, used cash for their day to day living expenses and if they did have any money left over at the end of the week, it either went into a thrift tin or a post office savings account book. People were happy with owning one nice bottle of perfume or one expensive handbag or one diamond ring etc and saved long and hard to buy what most people viewed as life`s luxuries.
Fast forward to today and people no longer view them as luxuries but as necessities, they want a choice of bags, shoes, jewellery, skincare in their bedrooms, they want to follow trends and they don`t want to have to wait for anything or save for anything, they want it asap and they want more and more of the same, each one supposedly bigger or better than the last. They swipe a card, its easy, they type in a few numbers onto a website, it`s easy, they pick up a phone and order something, it`s easy and so on and so on and in many peoples cases they don`t want to crunch the numbers until either their bank statements arrive or they log onto their bank account and they fool themselves than 3 x £20 payments isn`t as much as 1 x £60 payment so therefore its justified.
It`s who we are and how we`ve become and much as we as customers have evolved, the methods and ways of selling and paying for things have evolved too and IMO not always for the better.

somethings got to give though...i love shopping. i like shopping on qvc. like most people i have limited funds. i do not have a credit card so its my money comming out of my income so i am careful. but buying shed loads of "stuff"is not gratifying. i love going on small trips abroad. so buying endless bits is not a great way to spend money

Latest posts

Back