Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Shaun's father's biggest regret in life was not utilising condoms more often (other means of contraception are available)

I came across this message from Shaun “King of the Mattresses” Crawley’s Twitter page:-

Oh dear @Matalan advertising one price and charging another ! Not £7 shoes apparently #poor

mat.jpg

Hmm, we’re not really dealing with a major deception here, more a “Man misses out on cheap shoes!” shocker. It can’t be compared to say, selling overpriced bonded leather furniture and pretending it’s a byword for quality and value.
Such a misleading advert is really quite trivial when compared to insidious shopping tele routines (perma-smiles, fake bonhomie, etc), especially when we're talking about £1000 sofas.

More than a little irony here :thinking:

The following article has some useful information concerning bonded leather, saying how it is "horrible for home sofas": https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2012/08/bonded-leather-sofas-vs-genuine-leather-whats-the-difference.html

I came across this message from Shaun “King of the Mattresses” Crawley’s Twitter page:-

Oh dear @Matalan advertising one price and charging another ! Not £7 shoes apparently #poor

View attachment 11345

Hmm, we’re not really dealing with a major deception here, more a “Man misses out on cheap shoes!” shocker. It can’t be compared to say, selling overpriced bonded leather furniture and pretending it’s a byword for quality and value.
Such a misleading advert is really quite trivial when compared to insidious shopping tele routines (perma-smiles, fake bonhomie, etc), especially when we're talking about £1000 sofas.

The following article has some useful information concerning bonded leather, saying how it is "horrible for home sofas": https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2012/08/bonded-leather-sofas-vs-genuine-leather-whats-the-difference.html

I've just been looking at the furniture collection on their website and noticed this.....

Composition Information:

All contact areas (the back, seat, arms, front leg support) are covered with bonded leather.
Back and outward sides of the sofa are covered with a matching faux leather, which looks and feels the same as the seating area.

So it's not even 100% bonded leather either! Do they mention this in the shows? I never watch them as I have my own genuine leather sofas :mysmilie_14:

I've just been looking at the furniture collection on their website and noticed this.....

Composition Information:

All contact areas (the back, seat, arms, front leg support) are covered with bonded leather.
Back and outward sides of the sofa are covered with a matching faux leather, which looks and feels the same as the seating area.

So it's not even 100% bonded leather either! Do they mention this in the shows? I never watch them as I have my own genuine leather sofas :mysmilie_14:

Nope, all they say is that it's made with bonded leather, but never explain properly what that means.

Composition Information:

:mysmilie_502:

Left-over pieces of hide and plain fake leather (usually PVC). We're talking quality!

It probably comes flat packed but they don't mention that either :mysmilie_19:

Oh I do jest.........This Sofa Collection comes with diary booked, two man delivery to your room of choice.

I have heard them mention that 'some assembly is required' but they never actually say what this means. They also ask that you keep the packaging materials, so presumably it has to go back in the original box...I wonder if you would have to dissasemble it as well. These are important details, but all you get from the 'King of Mattresses' is that cheesy smile and 'isn't this wonderful' platitudes:mysmilie_10:

I have heard them mention that 'some assembly is required' but they never actually say what this means. They also ask that you keep the packaging materials, so presumably it has to go back in the original box...I wonder if you would have to dissasemble it as well. These are important details, but all you get from the 'King of Mattresses' is that cheesy smile and 'isn't this wonderful' platitudes:mysmilie_10:

Just reading the reviews, of which there are just eight, and a couple mention delivery. Each item has the same eight reviews, which is typical!

delivered in a few days,dont believe the white glove service,the two sofas we ordered were delivered on boxes and not unpacked for us,so white gloves not needed.sofas were easy to put together despite the not very good instructions.we chose brown and they look very smart but there are some things that are not quite right with the way they look,some unevenness in how the arms are,they dont look quite the same and there is lines of the padded seat which are not the same width,perhaps these are seconds,having said all that very pleased with them bearing in mind that in todays worl you get what you pay for

The price was great, but I did not expect it to come flat packed. (I hate them). But putting it together was fairly easy and not TO much swearing! In use it is comfortable and the massage facility works well. The main problem I would point out is that is quite low to the floor for a tall person like myself. On the whole thought good value.

And yet they make snide (and usually misleading, IMO) comments about other products and prices - do those comparison charts they flash up on screen really tell an accurate story, I wonder? Do they deliberately pick the ones where the deal appears not so good and ignore the better deals - perish the thought! Talk about "it takes one to know one"!! They have been equally disingenuous in what they do say as what they deliberately omit, from what I've seen. And I'm sick of: (1) anything with the cruddy "bonded leather" they keep going on about, (2) the f.f.f. flipping chairs that are overpriced, but you save a pittance if you order two - I wonder they don't cringe with embarrassment flogging the things and (3) every sob story that Shaun can throw at us. I think I'd rather hear about Howard's bowels, given the choice......

"
Funny how I somehow knew that would be the case, scummy f*>"!^s :mysmilie_51:

Last edited:

View attachment 11345

The article makes really good reading. I have seen the sales of these sofas (not through to the end, just channel hopping) and head a reference to bonded leather. It sounds impressive if they don't actually explain what it means. Personally I would rather save up and buy the real thing if I wanted leather, although at the moment we've got a cheap and cheerful cream fabric three piece suite from Argos which is really comfortable and looks great.

And yet they make snide (and usually misleading, IMO) comments about other products and prices - do those comparison charts they flash up on screen really tell an accurate story, I wonder? Do they deliberately pick the ones where the deal appears not so good and ignore the better deals - perish the thought! Talk about "it takes one to know one"!! They have been equally disingenuous in what they do say as what they deliberately omit, from what I've seen. And I'm sick of: (1) anything with the cruddy "bonded leather" they keep going on about, (2) the f.f.f. flipping chairs that are overpriced, but you save a pittance if you order two - I wonder they don't cringe with embarrassment flogging the things and (3) every sob story that Shaun can throw at us. I think I'd rather hear about Howard's bowels, given the choice......
"

You must be sick of the sob stories...

"Some assembly is required" (words I don't like to hear - although my flat pack CD racks and bookcases are currently still standing!)

Lol, Mutts! Yes, things have got to be bad, haven't they, for me to say this? By the way, I'm still recovering from seeing the Pope in his electric blue suit this afternoon, with the leggings lady......all he needed was a plastic red nose and a buttonhole that squirts water and the clown outfit would have been complete.
You must be sick of the sob stories...

Lol, Mutts! Yes, things have got to be bad, haven't they, for me to say this? By the way, I'm still recovering from seeing the Pope in his electric blue suit this afternoon, with the leggings lady......all he needed was a plastic red nose and a buttonhole that squirts water and the clown outfit would have been complete.

Sounds like all he needs is a pair of red undies over that blue suit and a cape, I could just picture him now running out of a phone box (if he can find one) shouting "super prat!!!!"

Presenters on iw need to STOP telling us to loose weight, please f**k off you clowns. Just because your a fatty presenter don't mean the rest of us are right. Sick and tired with the health bs they are selling us it's boring. Sell something like grills not rubbish like scraping cucumbers or orange peeler crap. Arghhh iw is turning into a political broadcast for the conservative party, rack off. Shut up bald bloke u need to stop eating red meat then fatty. Every time baldy is on he's always eating red meat. Sell other things we need not just health and fitness crap every day.

Last edited:
I agree, bog off Ideal World you lot of former Bid TV shysters! I have more or less stopped watching this channel.

Ah, but remember the IW (and Q) mantra, Adam: "don't do as we do, do as we tell you to do". After all, they have presenters who go on at length about how wonderful a product is, and how it will alter our appearance - whilst plainly not using said product themselves (or, if they are using it, they are no advert for how "wonderful" it is). :mysmilie_10:

Presenters on iw need to STOP telling us to loose weight, please f**k off you clowns. Just because your a fatty presenter don't mean the rest of us are right. Sick and tired with the health bs they are selling us it's boring. Sell something like grills not rubbish like scraping cucumbers or orange peeler crap. Arghhh iw is turning into a political broadcast for the conservative party, rack off. Shut up bald bloke u need to stop eating red meat then fatty. Every time baldy is on he's always eating red meat. Sell other things we need not just health and fitness crap every day.

Latest posts

Back