Virgin Media

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I presently don't have a landline at home, but am looking for a reliable broadband provider. I don't want phone or TV, just good broadband. Am currently using an 8" tablet which is also a mobile phone, and my mobile subscription gives me unlimited broadband on this tablet, but I'd like to have broadband at home. Recommendations for a reliable broadband supplier would be gratefully received.

We're with Zen, just broadband. Been with them a few years now & no complaints.
Previously we tried a Sky package, what a nightmare. Payed up front. The little man came to fit a dish & found there was no Sky reception at all up here. So we rang to cancel. Problem was they'd already, unbeknownst to us, attached a thingy ( forgotten the name) to our phone line. Took them three months to remove it! Meanwhile couldn't get any other broadband as their gizmo prevented any other working. Three months! And we had a business here that was badly affected with no internet connection.

If you watched a particular (famous) episode of Dad's Army you may get it, but if you didn't, you wouldn't

Oh that's why then, that's a programme you'd never, ever catch me watching, it's right up there in my all time top three most hated, boring programmes. If it was a choice between watching paint dry and Dads Army, watching paint dry will always win outright.

Aw c'mon don't leave me hanging, five people have liked your comment so get the "joke" any chance you can let me in on it? If not no worries, I'll just let it go over my head.

It was on a dad's army episode when they captured some German submarines. Pike was on ladder with his gun and started singing, whistle while you work, Hitler is a twerp. The German captain said that all names would be taken and Capt. Maintains said ''don't tell him Pike''. Hope this clears it up for you.

It was on a dad's army episode when they captured some German submarines. Pike was on ladder with his gun and started singing, whistle while you work, Hitler is a twerp. The German captain said that all names would be taken and Capt. Maintains said ''don't tell him Pike''. Hope this clears it up for you.

Ohhh right, thanks LM. Yes I can see why Dads Army would be on line with why I like Sky and they've always offered me good deals, how on earth I missed that comparison I'll never know. :mysmilie_15::mysmilie_15: :mysmilie_15:

Oh that's why then, that's a programme you'd never, ever catch me watching, it's right up there in my all time top three most hated, boring programmes. If it was a choice between watching paint dry and Dads Army, watching paint dry will always win outright.

I take it that you won't be rushing out to see the new film version that was released this week then?

We're with Zen, just broadband. Been with them a few years now & no complaints.
Previously we tried a Sky package, what a nightmare. Payed up front. The little man came to fit a dish & found there was no Sky reception at all up here. So we rang to cancel. Problem was they'd already, unbeknownst to us, attached a thingy ( forgotten the name) to our phone line. Took them three months to remove it! Meanwhile couldn't get any other broadband as their gizmo prevented any other working. Three months! And we had a business here that was badly affected with no internet connection.

Thank you Breeze. Have to confess I haven't heard of Zen, but I'll check out what they' re offering. I used to have Sky tv but didn't watch it enough to justify the exorbitant cost, so got rid of it.

The BBC did a drama documentary around christmas time called We Are All Doomed, which was about how the show was created. It was excellent. The actors playing the parts really really great. Arthur Lowe in real life was not liked much (his wife didn't even go to his funeral!!), Julian Sands was amazing as John le Measueir(sp).

The BBC did a drama documentary around christmas time called We Are All Doomed, which was about how the show was created. It was excellent. The actors playing the parts really really great. Arthur Lowe in real life was not liked much (his wife didn't even go to his funeral!!), Julian Sands was amazing as John le Measueir(sp).

Yes - it was absolutely excellent wasn't it?

My heart always sinks when I hear about a remake of something I've loved... better to create something new rather than redoing poorly what was done perfectly first time around. It's a shame because they've got a top-notch cast for the film of Dad's Army... but wouldn't it have been better if they'd done an original story with different characters?

And let's face it, by and large the film spin-offs from successful original comedy series largely fell flat at the time (Morecombe and Wise, Porridge being good examples of this).

Over these past few months me and the hubby have rewatched ALL of the original Dads Army and I can honestly say, it's not dated, makes you laugh so much and every character/actor is a gem. When we started with it I thought, this is going to be so old and boring but it's not. Pure brilliance.

I love Dad's Army but the original cast did make a film (1971) but as often happens the film lacked the comedy punch of the half hour episodes and I worry that this new film will be the same. The 30mins were filled with characters detached from the war for whom little really happened, the characters were everything.

I didn't watch it when it was on originally, as I didn't think the concept was right for a comedy.

But I watched the reruns and was converted.

I wonder whether Shopperholic may change her mind (like I did) after the positive comments on here?

Latest posts

Back