Whats wrong with Julia

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thankyou all once again for all your good wishes and positive comments. We are off to hospital today to visit the 'cancer suite' and chat to the nurses about my treatment and to ask any questions - we have a list.
Thankyou to Clevercat for you reassurances (sp) that there is a life after chemo. I may seem very shallow but one of the main things that was upper most in my mind was the actual hair loss but as you say it happens quickly but also grows back quickly after treatment. Good luck to you with your check-up and take care x

Having read the nasty comments regarding Ms Roberts I feel at last I must at least register and give some of mine. I'm a 62 year old and have long, even longer than Julia's hair which I wear straight and cannot understand why at 45 (which was suggested at 'What's happened to Julia'). One has to visit the hairdresser and say 'Well it's over for me now, chop it all off, I'm ready to turn into an old lady' It was suggested by someone that Ms Roberts was desperately trying to cling on to her youth, what rubbish! Just because she has long hair! Please step into reality and get a grip. Oh! Shock, Oh horror, I'm 62 and have purple toe nails! Try and stop the spite, live a little and have some tolerance, but perhaps we north east midlands gals already are!

I made some of those comments you quote Derby Di (I'm in Nottingham!) and I can assure you it's not spite that prompted them - I just wish JR would take a look in the mirror, or someone would tell her - she DOES NOT look good. She can look spectacular, but just at the moment she doesn't and I can't help feeling that now she's hitting mid-fifties she's scared and harking back to her youth. She would look so much better with the hair tamed if she must keep it long. Of course we all have our own opinions and should be thankful we're free to express them an'all! I'm 63 at the end of this month - I've got short spiky hair, I wear jeans, I paint my nails - I'm told I look ten years younger than I am, which is good to hear whether it's true or not (!) - but IN MY OPINION, JR is looking her age right now and it's a shame when she could look so much better.

Thankyou all once again for all your good wishes and positive comments. We are off to hospital today to visit the 'cancer suite' and chat to the nurses about my treatment and to ask any questions - we have a list.
Thankyou to Clevercat for you reassurances (sp) that there is a life after chemo. I may seem very shallow but one of the main things that was upper most in my mind was the actual hair loss but as you say it happens quickly but also grows back quickly after treatment. Good luck to you with your check-up and take care x

Poppy - I simply cannot imagine how you must feel, but you seem to have the right attitude and I admire you - I would, quite simply, be in bits....I think the thoughts about hair loss were the simplest thing to latch on to, I'm sure your mind couldn't grasp the really bad news...nothing shallow about it. I'm sure I can speak for all of us when I wish you the very best of luck and I hope the hospital visit today goes well...go for it girl!

Poppy just wanted to send you a bucket load of hugs and love... I was diagnosed with very agressive breast cancer two years ago and had to have 8 chemo cycles - it's not nice but is "doable" and I hope the chemo is kind to you... I'm another one that thinks my wig was actually nicer than my real hair...

Take care

Theresa x

You are in my thoughts, Poppy. My mum has breast cancer for the second time and she is 92. Keep strong, a positive attitute does help in my opinion and be kind to yourself, selfish even, and vent any feelings, they are better out than in. XXX

I made some of those comments you quote Derby Di (I'm in Nottingham!) and I can assure you it's not spite that prompted them - I just wish JR would take a look in the mirror, or someone would tell her - she DOES NOT look good. She can look spectacular, but just at the moment she doesn't and I can't help feeling that now she's hitting mid-fifties she's scared and harking back to her youth. She would look so much better with the hair tamed if she must keep it long. Of course we all have our own opinions and should be thankful we're free to express them an'all! I'm 63 at the end of this month - I've got short spiky hair, I wear jeans, I paint my nails - I'm told I look ten years younger than I am, which is good to hear whether it's true or not (!) - but IN MY OPINION, JR is looking her age right now and it's a shame when she could look so much better.

Totally agree with Busy Mum. Its not spite & I object to that. Sometimes the truth hurts. JR just does not look good at times & needs to have a makeover really. I am 56 & in no way do I consider myself over the hill. I paint my nails & toenails, have fake tans sprayed on, dye my hair, make my face up & long may I continue to do so:mysmilie_378:

Good luck Poppy, wishing you a very successful outcome to your treatment. Don't know if anyone saw Bernie Nolan on TV this morning, she's shaved her head because of the chemo, and she looked fab!!!

Good luck Poppy and I hope everything does go well for you :mysmilie_499:

As for Julia and this "small" thing, why does she do it? Do you walk into work and announce to everyone what size you're wearing? I don't - and even if I wore a small I wouldn't either. :confused:

I really don't understand it - it's not like we even know how big or small Julia looks in real life and it's common knowlege TV makes you look bigger, so it's not like any of us are going to say "ah well I must need a small then" just because Julia's announced she's wearing one!

The size you are wearing is IRRELEVANT Julia! TMI! :wink:

As for Julia and this "small" thing, why does she do it? Do you walk into work and announce to everyone what size you're wearing? I don't - and even if I wore a small I wouldn't either. :confused:

I really don't understand it - it's not like we even know how big or small Julia looks in real life and it's common knowlege TV makes you look bigger, so it's not like any of us are going to say "ah well I must need a small then" just because Julia's announced she's wearing one!

Sorry Lottie but I disagree, I think if you are flogging clothes then it is entirely relevant to say what size you are wearing so people can gage the size they need. We know Julia is fairly short and you can look at her and compare her size with the size you are.
I worked in a dentist and would have been classed as bonkers if I had gone into work telling everyone what size my dress was but if I was selling clothes, then no problem.

Julia has been a size 'small' even when she was much, much not smaller...Julia, small is size 8-10 in most shops...which shops are you going to cos I'd like a 'small' tag in my size 14 clothes, too....

Tvs

no hard & fast rule of course but imo women 45 and over shouldn't keep their hair long..it just doesn't look right...not on Julia, not on Jilly, not on Jill Franks - and certainly not on a lot of women I see walking up & down my local high street! To me it smacks of desperation and trying to cling onto their youth. It doesn't work.

Sorry but I'm over 50 now and I can't say I like it!!!...I still want to be fashionable and not frumpy........
So I'm afraid I probably DOOOO try and cling on to my youth where I can(although I don't have long hair just shoulder length)........
it isn't being desperate as u will discover when u turn that age tooo!!!!!!!.....:grin:

Julia has been a size 'small' even when she was much, much not smaller...Julia, small is size 8-10 in most shops...which shops are you going to cos I'd like a 'small' tag in my size 14 clothes, too....

Tvs

yes size small is 8-10 IRL but not on QVC I don't think as their ranges come up very big compared to the high street.

I don't really buy QVC fashion but was once tempted by a Centrigrade coat, I was size 14 at the time so ordered a medium and it was HUGE on me!

Sorry but I'm over 50 now and I can't say I like it!!!...I still want to be fashionable and not frumpy........
So I'm afraid I probably DOOOO try and cling on to my youth where I can(although I don't have long hair just shoulder length)........
it isn't being desperate as u will discover when u turn that age tooo!!!!!!!.....:grin:

Clairella...if I don't peg out before Aug 30 I shall be 63! I don't consider myself at all frumpy (even tho I did order the Kim & Co TSV yesterday!!!!) - I'm not going to argue with you about your hair length, everyone knows my views if they've read all of this thread! And if I had a youth I'd certainly hang onto him too:grin:!

Sorry Lottie but I disagree, I think if you are flogging clothes then it is entirely relevant to say what size you are wearing so people can gage the size they need.
Yes I agree up to a point. However, imho much of what Her Maj says about her size can still be taken with a huge pinch of salt mainly because of her stupid insistence for so many years that she was a small, when she was a right porker. I still do not believe she is a 10 even now she's dropped that weight.

Sorry Lottie but I disagree, I think if you are flogging clothes then it is entirely relevant to say what size you are wearing so people can gage the size they need. We know Julia is fairly short and you can look at her and compare her size with the size you are.

As I said, TV is completely deceptive and seeing someone on a screen is in no way an indication of what size you might need. TV makes a person look bigger than they really are - often someone can look quite large as well as tall on TV and when you see them in the flesh it's a different story.

You'd do better to study the size charts to see what size you need than to go by what Julia says! She's always a small no matter how big (or small) she gets :grin:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back