who pays postage on returned items

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

rosielinks

Registered Shopper
Hi all,

I have been an ebayer for over seven years. I hadn't bought or sold much for a year or so, but recently decided to sell a few bits and pieces to raise some cash.

They all sold and I felt it had gone well.

Unfortunately three of my buyers have complained about flaws in the goods. I was pretty surprised as I thought they all had got a good deal. One complained about a few beads being missing from a heavily embroidered designer cardigan, which was purchased for £12. Another one said that there was a stitching flaw behind the neckline on a pure cashmere cardigan purchased for £20 and the last one said that there were surface scratches on a Lola Rose ring, bought for £15 and sold as used. Being a reasonable kind of person, though miffed, but not wanting to spoil my 100% feedback I agreed to refund each buyer.

They all seem to think I have to pay for the postage on their returns - all recorded!!!! The tone of their emails is very aggressive and unpleasant.

This means I have spent hours taking photos, describing items, paying the ebay fees, answering questions - only to find I am out of pocket to the tune of about £12 and probably still will get negative feedback.

I have told them all I am only refunding the original amount paid to me.

Am I wrong? Part of me thinks - to Hell with it - refuse to refund and let them give me bad feedback. Since I won't be using ebay anymore it won't matter.

Some purchasers expect items to be absolutely perfect, even when sold as used, and to get the same service as if they were shopping in the West End?

Anyone else had these problems?

Last edited:
If you sold them an a private individual then the buyer has virtually no come back and cannot demand any postage costs back. If you were selling as a business then standard DSRs apply.

HTH?

If you are a private seller you have to refund in full everything the buyer paid you but they have to pay the return postage.

Some sellers pay the return postage to save getting negative feedback.

Latest posts

Back