Why watch QVC?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

delh

Registered Shopper
Looking around the boards there are an awful lot of people who seem to really not like QVC, be it the presenters and thier annoying habits, the P&P costs, the "fashion" etc. all regularly get a slating on here so why do you watch QVC?

I'm not having a go at anyone, most of the presenters do have annoying habits the P&P charges are high and lots of the fashion is not what I would have in my wardrobe. But some people seem to get so annoyed at it all that I dont understand why they keep on watching, if there is a show on that I know I would never in a month of Sundays buy from (quacker factory, kirks folly, Kim & co spring to mind ) then I just switch over or off altogether, if a presenter guest or regular is annoying then I turn it off or over there is nothing on there I am that desperate to buy to inflict some of them on myself.

I watch programmes that I think I might want something from but not the others and so dont find it as blood pressure raising as some seem to. Life is too short to let shopping telly get to me so I just dont inflict the really annoying ones on myself

Like I said I am not having a dig at anyone everyone is eintitled to thier opinions but it really does puzzle me why some still watch it when they find it so annoying.

So what is about QVC or any other shopping channel that makes you watch it and do the things that you enjoy about QVC outweigh the things that really wind you up

Good question and as someone who likes having a moan, I often ask myself the same question.
It's often on in the background whilst I do other things and if there's a specific show i want to see I'll sit down and watch.

The reason I get ticked off when I'm watching is because i just want an informative presentation about the product i want to buy. I don't want to hear about how it would perfect for the presenters children, how many they have in their house or how many people have jumped to the phones.

The items are rarely cheap and if i'm about to part with my money I just want to know the facts. More info about sizing or ingredients, if a beauty product contains alcohol e.g. SBC. I don't want to waste my money and p&p and have to find it out for myself.

I moan about delivery times and P&P because I'm paying for them and I expect Quality, Value and Convenience if i don't get that I'll complain just like i would to any other company i felt let down by.
I watch partly out of habit, partly to have a bit of a laugh but more importantly for an increasingly rare bargain.

Just because we can.

It's a fair question and I am watching less and less as there are now so many presenenters and shows I avoid. I never watch the 'fashion', I never watch the beauty shows or IT.

If there are items I am interested in I watch with mute on until I see an item I like but there is the problem, like LE lover says...you have to endure the sales patter until you gleen the odd piece of valuable information like how it works, the size and weight.

I often feel frustrated by how good QVC could be and find this a way to vent my spleen. I depend on on-line shopping and QVC for many things that I just don't have time to shop around for and although there are many critics, I really do appreciate being able to buy high thread count bedlinen, scented candles, kitchen appliances and Lola Rose jewellery. QVC are missing a trick with their fashion, though, as I'd be dead interested if they were to introduce some quality designers. This is a real pain in the neck to me so although I don't watch (I can see on-line how dire the choice is) I am perfectly entitled to moan on here about it. That's what's so great about this forum :clapping: :giggle: :up:

very good question, and equally good answers! I agree with most of what LE Lover & Huggles say, so I'll leave it at that!

Become a regular T Caller (aka creep :tongue:) Jamesy and then you'll be part of the QVC Family and have lots of friends. :hi:

I moan about delivery times and P&P because I'm paying for them and I expect Quality, Value and Convenience if i don't get that I'll complain just like i would to any other company i felt let down by.
I watch partly out of habit, partly to have a bit of a laugh but more importantly for an increasingly rare bargain.

I agree with you about the P&P but I have been lucky with delivery times and always seem to get anything I order fairly quickly, and totally agree that when service falls below what is expected we should complain. I dont think people complain enough to companies that fail to deliver in this country and I dont think twice about sending of a letter or e mail when someone fails to deliver what I expect. I am sure that there are many on here who direct their complaints to QVC but I do also wonder if some just come on here??

I often feel frustrated by how good QVC could be and find this a way to vent my spleen. I depend on on-line shopping and QVC for many things that I just don't have time to shop around for and although there are many critics, I really do appreciate being able to buy high thread count bedlinen, scented candles, kitchen appliances and Lola Rose jewellery. QVC are missing a trick with their fashion, though, as I'd be dead interested if they were to introduce some quality designers. This is a real pain in the neck to me so although I don't watch (I can see on-line how dire the choice is) I am perfectly entitled to moan on here about it. That's what's so great about this forum :clapping: :giggle: :up:

Again I agree QVC could be so much more than it is I dont think however that the fashion will ever improve it seems to be aimed at a particular type of dresser and I'm afraid that is not me, but then I guess some people would think my style is awful (sat here in combat trousers t shirt and a boyfriend cardigan all in shades of Khaki and cream :cheeky:)

and i don't have any friends :sad:
I'm sure you have!!

Like I said I wasnt having a dig at anyone who complains on here I just seem to have noticed an awful lot of threads lately that were just a list of complaints about a presenter or product and wondered why people continue to watch QVC.

I know some of the T-callers do come across sometimes as a little bit on shall we say the evangelical side where QVC is concerned and God forbid that this forum ever becomes like that never questioning anything QVC does or sells but I think if anyone had stumbled across the forum lately they would think everyone on here was aright moaner:grin:

(mum writes)

I get annoyed by QVC because it used to be good. I am housebound and cannot shop on the high street and used to rely on tv shopping because they had a decent range at good prices, but that has all gone now. All we get now is the same tired products which are increasingly getting overshadowed by the presenters' egos. I don't want to be their friend or in their "family". Like LE Lover, when I see something I'm interested in I want to know how big it is, how it works or what is in it. They are presenting a product but it seems to now be up to us to actually look elsewhere to find out the details about it. I'm getting fed up hearing about their holiday-filled glitzy lifestyles. I know plenty of people, like me, can't live like that, but having it constantly pushed in your face becomes very wearing. If they could go back to their old style of presentation, without the really hard sell and ego, I would have much less to moan about here. If they had more of the style of IW, it would be much better.

Why watch? Well, in reality I don't. I pick out the odd show here and there and even then only watch selected bits of those after I record them. I can't help but think we look in hoping it'll be different or there will be something new, but there never is. It's a far cry from a few years ago when I would arrange time off work to see special events or shows I loved.

Having said that, I think it's also easy to forget that what we dislike, others will drool over. I could ask why watch soaps, when I find them depressing and anger filled, but I know plenty like them. Variety is the spice of life :)

It's a fair question to ask! :nod:

I'll be honest - I'm housebound a lot of the time because of anxiety/depression and an eating disorder. I use QVC as background noise and as such I find it vastly comforting. It's easy viewing and listening and I don't need to concentrate on it. I know I come on here and complain and/or take the weewee, but I guess that's because I've been watching it so long I've become hardened to the sales patter and what the presenters do or don't tell us about a certain product.

In many ways - although I don't buy nearly so much as I used to from them I'd be lost without it to watch as it is undemanding and perfect for the many days I have when I simply cannot face the world. Which are becoming more frequent.

I do watch other stuff - of course I do, but also a big part of it is being able to come on here and interact with you guys too, which is a nice source of indirect support for me :nod:

Looking around the boards there are an awful lot of people who seem to really not like QVC, be it the presenters and thier annoying habits, the P&P costs, the "fashion" etc. all regularly get a slating on here so why do you watch QVC?

I'm not having a go at anyone, most of the presenters do have annoying habits the P&P charges are high and lots of the fashion is not what I would have in my wardrobe. But some people seem to get so annoyed at it all that I dont understand why they keep on watching, if there is a show on that I know I would never in a month of Sundays buy from (quacker factory, kirks folly, Kim & co spring to mind ) then I just switch over or off altogether, if a presenter guest or regular is annoying then I turn it off or over there is nothing on there I am that desperate to buy to inflict some of them on myself.

I watch programmes that I think I might want something from but not the others and so dont find it as blood pressure raising as some seem to. Life is too short to let shopping telly get to me so I just dont inflict the really annoying ones on myself

Like I said I am not having a dig at anyone everyone is eintitled to thier opinions but it really does puzzle me why some still watch it when they find it so annoying.

So what is about QVC or any other shopping channel that makes you watch it and do the things that you enjoy about QVC outweigh the things that really wind you up

You have said exactly what I wanted to say. I agree with you 100%:clapping::clapping:

I admit to not really watching QVC these days. I do have a habit of flicking around in ad breaks and do go have a nose at QVC. Actually think its more out of habit than anything else. Even doing just that you catch some dozies(sp).

If a product does come on I am interested in. It can be depending on the presenter like pulling teeth to find out what you really want to know. If lucky you will get the information in a break from the presenter's life style and their shopping habits.

There are shows I avoid like the plague, craft(no interest), fashion usually. :dull:

A show called The Soup on E channel, the guy mocks US shopping channels and it is so funny. Quacter Factory and the woman who owns it is one main target. But she has said Joel is very funny. St.com is a bit like the Soup, but we take no bulls**t when QVC think they are taking us for a ride.

we are famous yeahh

in esseence i like qvc but i am likely to moan if something is overhyped and sometimes miss sold.years ago qvc was more informative for example you were unlikely to find a fashion show with no fibre content information on the clothes.

i may be sticking my neck out here but i think most forumites like qvc and you know what qvc likes the forum.

its become a place where we all have a moan and most of the time its harmless fun:hi:

I do buy things from QVC - usually in last clicks. I'm certainly cutting down - do not need to repeat buy NN things for example. Not keen on the fashion but every now and then I like something - modern soul, centigrade, dare I admit to the odd bit of Kim & Co. Only occasionally but I have been happy with the purchases. I like being introduced to new beauty names and I enjoy seeing the make up presentations. People like Mally and Stacey Sheifflin (gone now) are/were great to watch.
I enjoy people's reactions to certain presenters and feel validated if I feel I not the only one irritated. I love some of the posts here - Mrs James, PPC, Burly Bear, Klarionwitchboy, Cavegirl, Vampyre, Loveheart and Alibeth - they are so entertaining. But if we didn't watch QVC we wouldn't be able to knuckle down into these topics. I have laughed out loud and quite missed ST forum when on holiday.
I do get out occasionally I hasten to add.

Hello all, don't normally come on here but I do shop off on, with Qvc, but I find I'm looking, more because of what's said on here!!!! some of the comments are so funny. the p&P dose stop me buying as it way over the top and I find that from other peoples replies I can get most of what I want else where for cheaper, and no p&p!!! so thanks all. Have found that NN is always on esp. as a tsv how many sheets can one buy? and as for some of the presenters are a bit too full of themselves (usual suspects) so once again thanks for all the fun and the advice which has been a real help at times. xxxxx

:up: :mysmilie_502: :mysmilie_497:

I echo most of the comments already made. I'm definitely more selective about what I watch now and I always switch off when Glen Campbell's on, even if it's Birkis, which I like. And I tend to watch beauty shows to see what's new or learn about skincare - I'd never used serums before I watched QVC, I love mineral make up and I've learned a lot about nail care - because hopefully, if AY let's guests get a word in edgeways, you see demos you wouldn't see in a shop.

Also, I've bought things to see if I really need one - e.g. my sat nav. I don't think I could have bought that in a shop and taken it back if I didn't like it. For the same reason, I've just bought the Monster steam cleaner. I've got a couple of weeks to try it out and if I don't like or use it, I can send it back. I look on the postage as a sort of "hire" fee :)

I think QVC is a harmless past time as much as a "department store" and let's face it, who could live without the sight of George Simonton, Joan Rivers and Honora Ralph - all for different reasons of course :D

Latest posts

Back