Smashbox Jet Set Eye Liner

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Grockle Princess

Registered Shopper
I am hoping for some advice. I recently ordered the Smashbox Jet Set Eye Liner in Brown and I am hoping I am applying it wrong as I really wanted to love this product.

I am swirling my brush in the product, then applying it to the rim of my eye. I am finding that small particles are going on to the surface of my eye and irriatating it. So I tried being more careful with the amount of product I had on the brush when appying. Less stuff on my eye initally, and it looked really good.

BUT, a few hours later it went dry and flaky and cracky. Not the beautiful inner eyeliner look I had earlier and my eyes when mad. Red, watery eyes are not what I want. This product is £26.70 with P&P so not cheap. I really waited to buy this and so far I am very disappointed. I am hoping that someone can give me some application tips as other wise I am going to have to sent it back. ( I can't seem to watch the videos on QVC anymore, I'm not sure if it is my husband fiddling with the puter settings or if they are not working on FireFox again).

Thanks

Hi GP,
I got a very similar reaction when I tried to use MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack. My eyes felt so dry & irritated & I had to remove it.
I haven't tried Smashbox liner, but the Bobbi Brown gel liners are fantastic for this. They hardly budge all day & I wouldn't even know I was wearing it.:sun:

I don't have a problem with it cracking or annoying my eyes. I apply using the bend brush, a quick swipe and on it goes.

To be honest I really think you are having a reaction to the product.
Do you use any other brand in the inner rim of the eye?
Does your eyes go red using it?

I have the Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliners, no reaction and I do love them. I bought the Smashbox one for the inner rim as I could justify buying it as I had just finished the tiny stump that was my Boots No7 Eyeliner Pencil and have wanted to try it for ages. I have never had a reaction like this with an eye product but have never put anything other that eye pencils on the inner rim. I do wear eyeshadow (mainly MAC ones) and do dye my eyelashes regularly. I also occasionally wear mascara.

I did put it down to the fact that the product was flaking off and had got into my eyes. I removed it with Simple eye makeup remover. I had blochyness around the eyes for a couple of hours and my eyes were bloodshot for the rest of the day. There is no problem when I only apply to the upper lid.

I will try again this evening and will be really careful not to put too much product on the inner rim, but if it happens again, it will have to go back as I have two fab Bobbi Brown ones for the upper lid and don't really need another even though I love the brush.

Sorry GP!! :wait: Not sure if I was clear in my post but I've used my Bobbi Brown gel liners on the inner rim of my eyes & this was where the MAC one really irritated. All of my colours are frosted ones & the Ivy shade is particularly gorgeous.
Hope you find one that suits your inner rim, as Bobbi Brown lasts so much longer than even Urban Decay 24/7 on my inner lids.

I have seen reviews where people complained the actual product had dried out - do you think it could have been faulty when you got it? I've got about six of them and they have never flaked the way you are describing yours. It might be worth trying to see if you can get your money back. Otherwise if you wanted to keep it, you could try drawing a line on the back of your hand before applying it to your eyes and hopefully any flakes will come off on your hand.

I didn't have chance last night to have another go, but will do tonight. I will try your tip Pollybelle, by the way how long does it last on your inner rim before it stops looking freshly flawless for you?

Meemoo you are a genius! I never thought about putting my Bobbi Brown ones on the inner rim. I am going to do one eye tonight with the Smashbox on the inner rim and the other with my Bobbi Brown chocolate shimmer gel eye lineron the inner rim. Even if the Smashbox one behaves, if the Bobbi Brown one does the job the Smashbox one will have to go back.

I can't justify spending £23+ if I already have a product that will do the same. Even if I do love the brush for doing the top lid line.

I don't go over my make-up during the day so it lasts from early morning and I'd only go over it if I was going out in the evening to freshen it up a bit. I sometimes have to wear breathing apparatus and a chemical hazard suit at work and despite it getting pretty warm under that lot, it doesn't smudge :up:

i use jet set all the time and havent had a problem with it drying or flaking, i have seen reviews where people say it does dry up in the pot but none of mine have.
I t does sound like your having a reaction to it.do you get hayfever?my eyes have just started weeping with hayfever and i cant put anything near them whike theyre like that

I haven't tried it again due to the fact I have had other eye problems recently and wanted to sort those out before I potentially irritate them again with the Smashbox. Thank you for all you advice, tips and suggestions. I don't suffer from hay fever but I have found my eyes getting more sensitive to bright sunshine as I get older, which means I been wearing sunglasses more frequently. But that is the only change sensitivity wise I have had. I don't wear contact lenses very often and even then it is the throw away ones for a few hours at most and I am very careful about my eye makeup then.

I will post how I got on when I try again

I am sorry it has taken me so long to report back. It has been a manically busy time recently and I could have experimented but didn't the added hassle of irritable eyes. Anyway this Bank Holiday weekend I have managed to catch up with myself and I have news.

I decided to try first the Smashbox Jet Set eyeliner on the inner rim due to the fact that if I am going to return it I will have to do so soon. I was very careful about application and even though it was better than last time, I still had small brown flakes on the surface of my eye.

I then left it and about 2 hours after it looked all dry and was cracking and flaking off under my eye and into my eye. When I got home the first thing I did was remove it with Simple eye make-up remover. I have decided to return it even though I like the brush I may keep an eye out to buy it separately on the bay.

I am currently typing wearing the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner in chocolate shimmer applied with the Bobbi Brown brush. It went on really well and so far so good. I will give an update tomorrow after I have worn it for a few hours.

I am currently typing wearing the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner in chocolate shimmer applied with the Bobbi Brown brush. It went on really well and so far so good. I will give an update tomorrow after I have worn it for a few hours.

I have that on too its gorgeous, I prefer the BB ones to Smashbox, they seem to have more colours too.

Update: It has worked brilliantly! Isn't it typical,there I am desperately wanting to try the smashbox one for ages,get it, it irriates my eyes, go on the forum for help and advice, and low and behold I already have something (in this case Bobbi Brown Gel Liner) that I could have been using on my inner rim all the while!!!!!

No irritation, no flaking after a few hours, looks fab! I just wish they had made it clear when I bought it I could use it on the inner rim, as well as the lid! I did watch a BB show recently and the make-up artist did say that, but I don't remember them saying it before, or maybe I just missed it.

Anyway thank you all for you help and advice, a special thanks to Meemoo for her tip about using BB instead! So yet another return for QVC.

hugs and kisses to everyone who responded THANK YOU:heart::heart::heart:

Latest posts

Back