Luxform 3-headed lamp-post not working

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

user 22184

Registered Shopper
I bought this on 20th April 2020, so almost a year ago, but one of the lamps has stopped working. I don't know how long the guarantee is for this. Do you think I can return for a refund? The bulbs are hardwired, so cannot be changed.

Goods are supposed to be durable enough to preform it’s intended function for a reasonable time which can be up to 6 yeas despite 1 year guarantees.

Whilst “reasonable” is subjective I would put the onus on Q to state their reasons for 1 year not being what is reasonably expected by the man in the street.

i had one of these years ago my mum had two and she treated me to one. within a very short time it fell apart. The the lights stopped working waste of money. I don't like QVC solar items they are really poor quality. Homebase do lovely lights and critters that glow in the night.

An update. QVC have replied and said the guarantee for this product is only six months, so bear that in mind if you're thinking of buying one of these lampposts. QVC suggested I contact Luxform for further help.

An update. QVC have replied and said the guarantee for this product is only six months, so bear that in mind if you're thinking of buying one of these lampposts. QVC suggested I contact Luxform for further help.
Your contract is with the company that sold you the item, not the company that supplied the item to QVC.

If you haven't got the guarantee contact Luxform and ask how long it is but it's usually 12 months and also there's reasonable expectation of how long an item should last if used properly.

If that is confirmed then go back to QVC and point out it is their responsibility, and if you do it by email they will not be able to deny what they claim, and you would have evidence to show trading standards.

Did you pay by credit card, if you did perhaps you could take it up with them.

Don't allow QVC to fob you off, they get away with that way too often

I bought this on 20th April 2020, so almost a year ago, but one of the lamps has stopped working. I don't know how long the guarantee is for this. Do you think I can return for a refund? The bulbs are hardwired, so cannot be changed.
I had a read of the consumer rights file at work today (I'm a store supervisor)

In a nutshell if something develops a fault within the first six months you are absolutely entitled to a full refund however there is the caveat of reasonable expectation of use, that is how long an item should last if it is being used properly without it becoming faulty...for instance it seems that a TV has a reasonable expectation of lasting four years.

QVC are relying on the six months for a refund bit, simply because they would never win that argument and ignoring the reasonable expectation part because it is convenient for them to do so as most customers would give up the fight.

All the information is online, the Citizens Advice website is a great place to look.

If you don't get anywhere with QVC it would be worth considering small claims court, it's probably all done online and apparently doesn't cost much.

This is possibly a bit controversial but, as Gill Gauntlet is the one who always presents Luxform items and seems to be “in” with the company, would it be worth trying to contact her about it? You could say that QVC are being less than helpful but that you’d expect the product to last a lot longer than a year. She might contact the company direct for you. Or maybe you could email the U.K. part of the company? It might be worth a try before you have to go down the legal route.

QVC are telling porkies the sale of goods act will apply it states an item must be of "Merchantable Quality and fit for the purpose for which it is served." this is not a cheap item and it would not be fit for purpose because it broke down quickly after it was purchased. Take them to small claims court and they will lose. it should last at least a few years not a few months.

I wouldn't rely on solar for decent outside lighting. I had electric cabling laid under the patio so that my lighting was switched on from inside.
I have bought solar lighting from QVC for many years but they were poor quality. I have been buying from Homebase and there solar items are fabulous. Good longevity both in lighting times and durability. I don't buy cvc solars its very very overpriced and the quality is poor

(It says that this domain name is for sale, so the U.K. one might be “safer.”)

In case you decide to contact them.

Latest posts

Back