I know I should get a life but...........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have an aversion to the current fascination for the word "laters", used as a way of implying that whoever you've been chatting with will "see you later".
And have never been keen on the word "kids" when talking about children.

The way QVC display times on the "Items from last 24 hours" page is totally incorrect, for example

03:00 - 04:00 PM

It should be 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM, because putting the 0 in front implies it is AM, not PM eg 03:00.

And if you do put the 0 in front, you DON'T need to state AM, but QVC say, for example

06:00 - 07:00 AM

They should really use the 24 hour system, although I know many people don't like this. But you HAVE to use this for bus and train timetables eg 0315, 2130 etc. Then there is no confusion between AM and PM and no need to state whether AM and PM.

On the other hand, I did hear that someone missed their train because it was announced as arriving at 2211 (said as twenty to eleven) so they went and had a cup of tea, whereas the actual time was eleven minutes past ten !

not sure whether it's a QVC-ism but when people can't or won't say "sixth" properly I jump up & down ...a lot of folks now seem to say "sikth". Along with the apostrophe, the "of" instead of "with" ("bored of" in particular makes me froth at the mouth!), there are so many things to get your goat when you get to my age it would be just too time-consuming to list them!

Oh Carol, "sikth" instead of "sixth" is one of the worst in my book!! I can not stand it!!! The same people are probably equally as guilty of saying "fith" instead of "fifth", too - it's sheer laziness :angry:

Another "buzz" word, or phrase in this case, which really vexes me is "The wow factor". :puke:

I have an aversion to the current fascination for the word "laters", used as a way of implying that whoever you've been chatting with will "see you later".
And have never been keen on the word "kids" when talking about children.

I'm guilty of saying "Laters" to my sister, but it's said in a tongue-in-cheek way as we both hate it really! I also don't like "See you later" in general - it's all but replaced "Goodbye" and is hardly ever used correctly anyway - most people who say "See you later" know full well they won't see them later, and should, in fact, have said "Goodbye".

"Kids", yep, hate it, and I also cringe when people refer to their friends as "mates". No no no no no!!!

Vulnerable pronounced as vunerable. There's an L, there's a s*dding L...it's not optional.

My boss can't understand the difference between 'accept' & 'except'.
It really annoys me, especially when he sends official e-mails with the mistake on them.
Makes him look like a fool IMO.

My boss can't understand the difference between 'accept' & 'except'.
It really annoys me, especially when he sends official e-mails with the mistake on them.
Makes him look like a fool IMO.

Oooohh, don't get me started on emails from managers . I am constantly infuriated at some of the ones I see.
There is a spell check - if you know you can't spell - then ruddy well use it.
I, of course, never make a spelling mistake - but I do make a lot of typing errors
:smirk:

Brillilant thread! So many things annoy me but I know I'm not perfect. However, I remember many years ago visiting a butterfly house that had just opened. These two mature men were admiring a hand painted sign that had just been delivered and it said "Butterflys". I remember thinking I should just keep my big mouth shut but I had to point our their mistake. Sure enough, next time I visited there was a corrected sign - "Butterflies . . ." I felt I had done them a favour!

One of my pet gripes is "I would have went" and "I done that" - happens quite frequently in my place of work but, as I said, I'm not perfect.

For you.............on a weekend

The phone lines are busy "for you", we're approaching limited stock "for you" - what does that mean?? AY says it all the blinking time, literally.

Both AY and Keeley Aydin keep using the phrase "on a weekend" - drives me nuts. You can use your spa products "on a weekend".

I thank you.

Forgot to mention another thing that I have noticed recently on TV programmes. The use of the words "floor" and "ground". Several times, people have referred to people who are "lying on the floor" referring to someone who has collapsed on the street. I would say they are "lying on the ground". To me, floor refers to inside a building while ground would be outside, like lying on a footpath or road. A small matter, but it annoys me a little.

"Can you borrow me a tenner?"

"What? So you can buy a book on English grammar?

Jude xx

People who spell grammar as grammer :grin:

As for spell checkers, they don't often pick up on grammatical errors, and when they do they often try to change something which is correct in my experience.
I have sat and watched people using a spell checker click "ignore" on all the errors. Seems if you can't spell you don't question why the spell checker thinks it's wrong either :giggle:

Latest posts

Back