I know I should get a life but...........

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

At a Christmas market last year, I was looking at a big sign near a stall selling "Pussels". It took me a while to realise they were actually selling puzzles! And that was next to the loud mouth barker selling "poncy ettas" , instead of Poinsettias I had to laugh at that.

One thing I see often that annoys me is a big notice at Brighton Marina telling people who use the breakwater walls to walk do so "at THERE own risk". It makes me want to scream.

I know it's an American thing and not strictly bad grammar, but "my bad" really drives me up the wall. I constantly want to ask "your bad what?".

Great thread.

Apart from misplaced apostrophes, should of, would of, and the dreaded haitch [and many people who say "haitch" drop their aitches anyway!], I loath "two times". Twice will do nicely thank you.

I remember how Anthony Heywood used to say 'assessories' instead of accessories....drove me nutty but I still miss him...
Also hate 'price point' when price will do fine.

Last edited:
Agree with Nailprincess about AY calling Liz Earle skin tonic the skin toner,I think she does it on purpose and I would love Liz to correct her.Also on ABC tea tree products she always used to say melalookia in a show off kind of way,instead of melaluca---it used to have me shouting at the tv because she thought she was being such a know all.

Comprises of instead of comprises as in This set comprises of.... It annoys the hell out of me, along with the misplaced or unneeded apostrophes, haitch, should of, could of etc etc.

We have huge road signs locally with a huddle of villages described as The ***ton's instead of The ***tons.

I know people who say pacific instead of specific and cerstificate instead of certificate !

Another dislike of mine is schedule said as shedule instead of skedule by those appear to be well educated and should know better, ahhhh we don't live in America !!

More and more I feel like one of the grumpy old women !

yes and those that say bruschetta as brushetta not brusketta - and correct you if you say it properly :grin:

I had an argument in a shop over Riesling once when the shopkeeper incorrectly tried to "correct" my pronunciation :giggle:

Just heard the Frank Usher guest say one of those stupid little made-up words which annoy me more than any other - maybe I should just cut my losses and turn the telly off now..... "Vintagey"! That can naff right off, and take "antiquey" and "boutiquey" with it :angry::angry::angry::angry:

In fairness some people do pronounce shea as sheer whereas most of us here in Britian say shay.

The thing I find most upsetting though is that these people really don't care about being wrong. Their attitude is that they can be understood so what difference does it make.

No-one feels embarrassed anymore. No-one strives to be correct.

Jilly Hallyday (whichever way she spells it) always says gonna or woulda, cudda etc. That of course is just laziness.

Languages do evolve but I worry that our language is losing its richness. The teachers themselves in the schools know no better so how can we expect future generations to learn the correct way to speak, spell etc

The handbag shows annoy me when they say 'Let me show you around this bag' In my opinion you show someone around a house, not a flaming bag! :devil:

Also 'let's look at soandso wearing this bag' Do you really wear a bag? :wonder:

Then they go on about the bag having 'hardware' To me, hardware is part of a computer or tools and machinery, not some fake metal dog tag thing dangling from a handbag!!

They also use jargon which should remain in the buyers' offices.

-price point
-depth of stock
-colourway

I used to meet a lot of customers and make presentations to 100s of people when I worked and the golden rule was to never use company jargon.

PS: not sure if I should have used that instead of which in the 1st line. Please advise.

Last edited:
not sure whether it's a QVC-ism but when people can't or won't say "sixth" properly I jump up & down ...a lot of folks now seem to say "sikth". Along with the apostrophe, the "of" instead of "with" ("bored of" in particular makes me froth at the mouth!), there are so many things to get your goat when you get to my age it would be just too time-consuming to list them!

Buzz words annoy me

'Let me run this one by you.'
'Let me flag this up to you.'

The American pronunciation of Aluminium!
The American use of Burglarized, now thats one I really hate. You have been Burgled not burglarized.

My all time pet peeve though is the the announcement that 'We are pregnant', from a man. Unless science has made giant leaps forward, then you are not pregnant. Your partner is.

not sure whether it's a QVC-ism but when people can't or won't say "sixth" properly I jump up & down ...a lot of folks now seem to say "sikth".

Oh Carol I completely agree. Infuriates me. No, not only a QVC-ism it is every where in the media. How difficult is it to say sixth correctly!:mysmilie_10:

Latest posts

Back