Beauty box coming to Q Friday?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Do you know every Item in the Beauty Box or is it lucky dip?

We were told what every item in the last Tili box would be (I think the first one too?). I wouldn't buy it if it were a lucky dip because I wouldn't trust QVC!!

I'm the same about pale green or blue nail polish Andik, but I have found that one of Leighton Denny's cocktailing colours in one coat over the top generally changes the shade to something I like. The most successful changes are using Butterfly Wings for me and it has made a few of my unused polishes from sets I've bought into useables again. Might be worth an experiment if you decide to get the box, if you like the other items.

Interesting, Pandora, thank you! Funnily enough, I tried a Leighton Denny topcoat which darkens colours (Twilight) over a pale blue once and it went very wrong! The Twilight looks black in the bottle but it's a sheer black which should, as claimed, darken a light colour. I think he used it over a soft coral on Nina and it didn't look bad. However, you have to be so precise as if you don't line the edges up exactly with the colour underneath, it looks terrible and crude. It also streaked. But a cocktail colour - great idea! I've got a mini Butterfly Wings somewhere (probably unopened, knowing me!) and Striptease (is that a cocktail colour?)

Interesting, Pandora, thank you! Funnily enough, I tried a Leighton Denny topcoat which darkens colours (Twilight) over a pale blue once and it went very wrong! The Twilight looks black in the bottle but it's a sheer black which should, as claimed, darken a light colour. I think he used it over a soft coral on Nina and it didn't look bad. However, you have to be so precise as if you don't line the edges up exactly with the colour underneath, it looks terrible and crude. It also streaked. But a cocktail colour - great idea! I've got a mini Butterfly Wings somewhere (probably unopened, knowing me!) and Striptease (is that a cocktail colour?)

I don't know the colour Striptease but from memory the other two that had the ability to change colours were Show Off and Sugar and Spice. Have a search on You Tube as I think I found some demos on there but it has been a while back. Have a play with your mini Butterfly Wings and see the effect it can have on various colours, I'm sure it will surprise you!

Do you remember those OPI polishes a few years back that were meant to look 'cracked' when you painted them over other colours? Could never get to grips with them and it just looked like I was rubbish at painting my nails.

Do you remember those OPI polishes a few years back that were meant to look 'cracked' when you painted them over other colours? Could never get to grips with them and it just looked like I was rubbish at painting my nails.

As an effect, it was interesting for the duration of the demonstration, but as a practical consideration for wearing it... I can't imagine there would be many takers except for those slavishly following "trends". There have been a number of false dawns in nail effects from different companies... You can tell it's a dud when none of the other polish brands bring out their own version (remember Nails Inc with the sand effect, the "concrete" effect, the rubber effect and more? Only to be found in the back of the drawer or a bargain basement sale; and their magnetic polishes never took off either).

The brands that keep it simpler and more classic are more likely to attract me than the ones with the unwearable ideas. Innovation by all means - but to give us greater depth of colour, or more durability and protection for the nail...

It says on instagram there will be 10 items in the box, so sure it will be every item, I hope! I agree, so far the only item I'm not sold on is the Essie polish as not sure the colour will suit me. Other than that, I'm liking the rest. 6 more products to go, so could go either way!

I don't know the colour Striptease but from memory the other two that had the ability to change colours were Show Off and Sugar and Spice. Have a search on You Tube as I think I found some demos on there but it has been a while back. Have a play with your mini Butterfly Wings and see the effect it can have on various colours, I'm sure it will surprise you!

Thanks. This is definitely the way forward. And I get to try an Essie polish! I'll let you know.

As an effect, it was interesting for the duration of the demonstration, but as a practical consideration for wearing it... I can't imagine there would be many takers except for those slavishly following "trends". There have been a number of false dawns in nail effects from different companies... You can tell it's a dud when none of the other polish brands bring out their own version (remember Nails Inc with the sand effect, the "concrete" effect, the rubber effect and more? Only to be found in the back of the drawer or a bargain basement sale; and their magnetic polishes never took off either).

The brands that keep it simpler and more classic are more likely to attract me than the ones with the unwearable ideas. Innovation by all means - but to give us greater depth of colour, or more durability and protection for the nail...

There's a blast from the past, the cracked look polishes. I never tried them though as I agree they looked a bit odd, although they might have been ok for a Hallowe'en party or something. OPI called them shatter coats and actually Nails Inc did do their own, called crackle. I don't know who was first but Leighton sensibly steered clear! I did have an OPI sand polish and liked it because it was a pretty red with fine sparkle. i used a top coat though so it was well glazed and I don't think you were supposed to. As for the concrete and leather effects, they just look like you've painted your nails too close to bedtime and the sheets have left a pattern (as I did accidentally last week!).

5th item is a Decleor serum IMG_8843.jpg

Would definitely only buy if I knew what they were and wanted the products! Will look out for it! :mysmilie_12:

I'm quite enjoying this daily reveal. One of their better uses of social media. Although, sadly, still interspersed with inspirational quotes (sorry, but I hate an inspirational quote!), their Instagram looks good (current, nice photography etc), but they could do with moving whoever writes the cringeworthy copy for Tili’s emails sideways! :doh:

I've got the primer and Pixi Glow tonic, so am hoping I won't have too many more of the items. Like others, I'm not keen on the smell of tea tree, but would like to try the skin wash from the glowing reviews it always gets on here.

Excellent - that's two already I really want to try. I was on a beauty website earlier this week, about to buy Pixi Glow because I had a 20% off code, but Pixi is one of the brands excluded from the offer (along with about 100 other brands, which was pretty useless!).

Anyway, the box is shaping up well for me. The only one I'm not so keen on is the nail polish - it looks lovely in the bottle but is too much like Leighton Denny's Morning Dew which looked absolutely awful on me. Really not my colour. A shame as I wanted to try Essie too.

If it's the same size as the one I got in my advent calendar (15ml), which it looks to be, you won't get much of a go at it, but hopefully enough to decide whether you enjoy using it enough to splash out on a full size so you can assess the benefits.

There's a blast from the past, the cracked look polishes. I never tried them though as I agree they looked a bit odd, although they might have been ok for a Hallowe'en party or something. OPI called them shatter coats and actually Nails Inc did do their own, called crackle. I don't know who was first but Leighton sensibly steered clear! I did have an OPI sand polish and liked it because it was a pretty red with fine sparkle. i used a top coat though so it was well glazed and I don't think you were supposed to. As for the concrete and leather effects, they just look like you've painted your nails too close to bedtime and the sheets have left a pattern (as I did accidentally last week!).

This is one of many things about painting my nails that does my head in!! :headbang: The denim effect one was a pig in a poke, too. I use the glitter / confetti varnishes more, as they're a lot more forgiving if you go over the edge, but they're such a nightmare to get off! Bought an essie glitter polish remover recently, but it took me even longer than with the normal nail varnish remover to chisel it off, and used 1/4 of the bottle. If anyone has any recommendations would be very grateful! :)

This is one of many things about painting my nails that does my head in!! :headbang: The denim effect one was a pig in a poke, too. I use the glitter / confetti varnishes more, as they're a lot more forgiving if you go over the edge, but they're such a nightmare to get off! Bought an essie glitter polish remover recently, but it took me even longer than with the normal nail varnish remover to chisel it off, and used 1/4 of the bottle. If anyone has any recommendations would be very grateful! :)

Soak a piece of cotton wool with polish remover and wrap in tin foil and leave for about five minutes, it will all come off easily.

Soak a piece of cotton wool with polish remover and wrap in tin foil and leave for about five minutes, it will all come off easily.

Acetone formulas are more effective than non-acetone. I know many people have misgivings about using acetone but it's not on your skin long enough to do the damage that you read horror stories about.

You can buy wraps for gel removal on eBay quite reasonably if the idea of making your own is putting you off. I use them for gel removal and can get away with using one per hand - but I make sure I only start doing it when I have time.

For those with sheet marks in the morning, try Sally Hansen's Mega Shine or Insta Dry. Apply when polish is still wet (don't skimp or it'll streak the colour - by the time you've painted one hand, you can use this straight away), give it a minute and it's touch dry. Half an hour and you can happily hit the sheets. Plus you get a lovely shine and for some reason, it makes removal a bit easier. It's also cheaper than the big brand versions like OPI's Rapid Dry (tried both, prefer SH).

I'm also a big fan of Sally Hansen's Insta Dry, who knows how the stuff works but it's fantastic.

Latest posts

Back