Ludicrous Prices

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just a reminder that it sometimes pays to wander to the back of the shop and ignore what's in the front window display (both Gemporia's '999' range):

- Image 1, Ellis' first hour this morning: 24" slider 10.17g, £69.99
- Image 2, Gemporia website now: 24" slider, 11.32g, £39.99

😬
Did you look at the lone review for the necklace Ellis was selling? Apparently only parts of the necklace are 999. Seems a bit weird, if not misleading, unless of course they declare it.

"It is lovely. The issue I have is that there is no markings on the necklace to say it’s 999. It has 925 on the fastener. No authenticity card either. When I queried this I was told that the chain and fastening were 925. The beads only are 999. Therefore how can this be a 999 piece of jewellery. Very disappointed."

Did you look at the lone review for the necklace Ellis was selling? Apparently only parts of the necklace are 999. Seems a bit weird, if not misleading, unless of course they declare it.

"It is lovely. The issue I have is that there is no markings on the necklace to say it’s 999. It has 925 on the fastener. No authenticity card either. When I queried this I was told that the chain and fastening were 925. The beads only are 999. Therefore how can this be a 999 piece of jewellery. Very disappointed."
This throws back to something I heard way back on JM. You cannot call an item 925 silver (gems aside) if it had even one non-silver component. So, a 999 cannot be called a full 999 if it isn't, obviously.

This throws back to something I heard way back on JM. You cannot call an item 925 silver (gems aside) if it had even one non-silver component. So, a 999 cannot be called a full 999 if it isn't, obviously.
hi have seen your forum for a while but just seen the prices they are charging for a bright dyed opals . They seem to think of a number double it and add 12 .The prices are just off the charts for something which should be £29 to £49 now seem to add £120 !

I saw this and I was like what the heck. They were so bright!
I think that Adina's presentation of the recent gold-set red, blue & green dyed opals was reported to the ASA because of her comparisons to some of the more uncommon opals with natural colour displays.

I think that I saw the large bright blue one, set in <2g of a 9K gold, very basic basket, claw prong setting being offered at £179. Don't be sucked in by "the world's going to pot, Brexit, sour cream is off" BS. That's not competitive for something that borders on costume jewellery.

I'm paraphrasing now. Ruby Quartz just been on with Jess. She said, it looks like ruby but it's quartz. And in the description it said 'dyeing'. So, someone's learning.

Anyone see Jess waxing lyrical over a £129 "AAAA violet" topaz ring today? The depth of colour etc, and how it's like a Lorique AAAAA Tanzanite ring but at a fraction of the price...

Was this miracle topaz stone coated? Absolutely!

Anyone see Jess waxing lyrical over a £129 "AAAA violet" topaz ring today? The depth of colour etc, and how it's like a Lorique AAAAA Tanzanite ring but at a fraction of the price...

EVERY stone can be Quad A or better, if it's been treated, or, as in this case, coated. Now she's selling diamonds from outer space.

I didn't watch it but I did see that piece on the website.

Since when did coated stones acquire colour gradings?
Quad A my @rse.

And some of the names for the coated topazes are more ridiculous than the names rock stars used to give to their children...

I didn't watch it but I did see that piece on the website.

Since when did coated stones acquire colour gradings?
Quad A my @rse.

And some of the names for the coated topazes are more ridiculous than the names rock stars used to give to their children...
Have to say, when it first came out, I was rather taken with Mercury Mystic. Only have the one piece, but still impressed with it.

Have to say, when it first came out, I was rather taken with Mercury Mystic. Only have the one piece, but still impressed with it.
I have nothing against coated stones, so long as the buyer is well aware of what they're paying for.

Which quite a few may not. Yes, the treatment may be listed in the on-screen graphics, but how many new customers would know to read them fully? Especially when the presenters make zero mention of them, and witter away as if the colour is intrinsic.

If customers are wound up by the presenters' gabble to shop emotionally, then saying "Well, the information is there for viewers to check" is contrary to Gemporia's current business model.

I'm paraphrasing now. Ruby Quartz just been on with Jess. She said, it looks like ruby but it's quartz. And in the description it said 'dyeing'. So, someone's learning.
Did it actually say 'Ruby Quartz' on screen?

If so, what time please?

They have had a final warning about this and been told NOT to show it with that name!

Did it actually say 'Ruby Quartz' on screen?

If so, what time please?

They have had a final warning about this and been told NOT to show it with that name!
I've just scrolled back on the Youtube Live Gemporia and it's around 2 hours 48 mins ago, as I write, just after a ruby ring. I tried to clip it, but can't, or not that I know how. So, go to the Live and drag back.

I've just scrolled back on the Youtube Live Gemporia and it's around 2 hours 48 mins ago, as I write, just after a ruby ring. I tried to clip it, but can't, or not that I know how. So, go to the Live and drag back.

Oh dear! Looks like a suspension for Gemporia is on the horizon!

I did! Thanks for the pointers. It was at the 'three hours ago' mark exactly when I looked.

Taken a screenshot and lodged another complaint with the ASA - referencing the 'final warning' they got last month for showing this stone.
I saw it a bit ago. I suppose they will state what she said 'it looks like... but isn't' Plus the Dyeing bit. And it states on the drop down details that it is quartz. Not sticking up for them, but thinking like them.

I saw it a bit ago. I suppose they will state what she said 'it looks like... but isn't' Plus the Dyeing bit. And it states on the drop down details that it is quartz. Not sticking up for them, but thinking like them.

Oh they will no doubt try to say it was a 'mistake' or say that they covered their back by saying "It's not Ruby - it's dyed Quartz that looks like a Ruby" (which suggests that Jess Foley was prompted to say that to 'cover their backs' - and therefore, they can't play the 'mistake' line).

However, the ruling was quite clear - it said that they must "refrain from using the name 'Ruby Quartz' in the future" - so, regardless of whatever excuse they come up with, they have breached their final warning by using that very same name less than a month after being told never to use it again.

In my opinion, only a broadcasting suspension is adequate punishment because Gemporia are clearly thinking that the risk is worth taking - which would suggest that they think that any fine could be recovered from the high profit margins of flogging the stuff.

A broadcasting suspension would starve them of TV income completely for X amount of hours - which would hit them far harder than any fine.

Latest posts

Back