General Banter and Random Musings

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Interesting to see that today they've changed their TikTok profile name from Seen on TV Limited to Seen on TikTok Limited - a new company setup by Simon last month. Probably a wise move to separate their profitable TikTok Shop from the cash cow TV channel although I can't imagine TikTok will be happy about their name being exploited.

Appreciate your posts, my friend 👍

It's one hell of a technical issue ! Something doesn't seem right, still broadcasting repeats yet unable to broadcast live. As for tiktok I turned 50 last year, and I've never been on there, Facebook yes all the time, x occasionally but how many 50 plus people use it ? Going by my friends of the same kind of age not many I'd say its more the 15 -30 age group and I doubt they are searching for glue or car wash ?!

A "technical issue" isn't accurate but c'est la vie, the truth always comes out in the end.

Interesting to see that today they've changed their TikTok profile name from Seen on TV Limited to Seen on TikTok Limited - a new company setup by Simon last month. Probably a wise move to separate their profitable TikTok Shop from the cash cow TV channel although I can't imagine TikTok will be happy about their name being exploited.

So, you're suggesting that Alek, who has been praised for his honesty and transparency, is actually not being honest and transparent?

Can't be...

Hi guys - I’m getting battered by the insider here so I’ll just keep telling you from our point of view here because we have been transparent and will continue to do so. We have 2 cameras that stopped working which we have sent to be repaired and hired another couple of cameras at a huge cost. We need to send those hired cameras back (which is being done today) and get our cameras working. That’s the first issue we have had. Please appreciate I can’t put every issue on here and it seems I don’t need to because the insider will tell you everything anyway. I don’t know who you are but please give us a bit of a break - we are trying to make this work and yes, we are struggling a bit which is why we have gone to tape to try and get all of the issues fixed. I’ll know more over the next couple of days and I will let people know on here.
Insider - if you do have a lot of knowledge on what we are doing and it’s your right to tell people what you want. But help us out and let us get ahead of our challenges rather than knock us and put them immediately on here. You guys are finding out when things go wrong at the same time (or an hour later) that we are finding them out and trying to fix them.
I’ll keep you all posted. All we want is to go live, set up a new shopping channel and make a success. At least the cameras are now fixed 😊.

Hi guys - I’m getting battered by the insider here so I’ll just keep telling you from our point of view here because we have been transparent and will continue to do so. We have 2 cameras that stopped working which we have sent to be repaired and hired another couple of cameras at a huge cost. We need to send those hired cameras back (which is being done today) and get our cameras working. That’s the first issue we have had. Please appreciate I can’t put every issue on here and it seems I don’t need to because the insider will tell you everything anyway. I don’t know who you are but please give us a bit of a break - we are trying to make this work and yes, we are struggling a bit which is why we have gone to tape to try and get all of the issues fixed. I’ll know more over the next couple of days and I will let people know on here.
Insider - if you do have a lot of knowledge on what we are doing and it’s your right to tell people what you want. But help us out and let us get ahead of our challenges rather than knock us and put them immediately on here. You guys are finding out when things go wrong at the same time (or an hour later) that we are finding them out and trying to fix them.
I’ll keep you all posted. All we want is to go live, set up a new shopping channel and make a success. At least the cameras are now fixed 😊.
Hello Alex have the 2 expensive hired cameras been used live

It's nice that you come on here and keep us posted, I'm confuses by that post though, you hired 2 cameras whilst the faulty ones were being repaired, my question is why don't you use the hired ones ? When the faulty ones are repaired they will be ready for action, you won't need to get them working, they will be working.
How I read your post is like me taking my car to a garage as it needs a new engine, they provide me with a courtesy car, but I don't use that, I give it back to them and get my car back but then have to fit the new engine myself !?

Sorry - I didn’t explain myself well enough. The two hired cameras are going back as our original ones are now back to us and fixed. That was the first issue we had but we could broadcast on the hired cameras which we did. This would take us a day to switch the cameras over so we would go to tape. That was frustrating but we now have another technical issue which is also keeping us on tape until we can get that resolved.
Basically - we are doing everything we can to get back on air live but there have been some struggles with equipment and broadcasting which has meant for now we have to play out repeats. We are working on it with everyone here today.

So, you're suggesting that Alek, who has been praised for his honesty and transparency, is actually not being honest and transparent?

Can't be...
Spare us the moral high ground concerns from a representative of a channel that tells people at home a £60 air fryer was £320 just beforehand. Plus all the other disingenuous price comparisons.

Sorry - I didn’t explain myself well enough. The two hired cameras are going back as our original ones are now back to us and fixed. That was the first issue we had but we could broadcast on the hired cameras which we did. This would take us a day to switch the cameras over so we would go to tape. That was frustrating but we now have another technical issue which is also keeping us on tape until we can get that resolved.
Basically - we are doing everything we can to get back on air live but there have been some struggles with equipment and broadcasting which has meant for now we have to play out repeats. We are working on it with everyone here today.
People in general wish your channel well here. The transparency is refreshing. No assumed names and sniping back, as is the style of some of the others with a vested interest posting here.

It's one hell of a technical issue ! Something doesn't seem right, still broadcasting repeats yet unable to broadcast live. As for tiktok I turned 50 last year, and I've never been on there, Facebook yes all the time, x occasionally but how many 50 plus people use it ? Going by my friends of the same kind of age not many I'd say its more the 15 -30 age group and I doubt they are searching for glue or car wash ?!
I thought Tik Tok was the sound of a clock🤔. Seriously though, never been on it, but young interns in my office are obsessed with it. I never go on Instagram any more, and can't often be bothered with Facebook as I end up wasting time looking at rubbish.

I'm 56 and like how technology can make my life easier and not scared of it but social media doesn't really interest me. As for the subject of Influencers, don't get me started...

**This will be my only post, as I am not going to get into a debate over this**

I can confirm that there is more than meets the eye.

I have no affiliation with "Insider". I do not know who they are. However, they are correct, and I am alse an insider in the shopping telly world. **edit. I see my name is 'Insider', but I put my isername as 'Insider 2'.

Alex said "it's not fair for us to come on live, then go to a tape, then live etc."
Then apparently the cameras weren't working. Well, there's no risk from that issue of going live, then tape, live etc as he makes out. There is more to it which you'll find out.

I'm surprised at how many people on here are believing Alex just as he's been open and honest on here for a week. Alex is a lovely guy, but much more is going on behind the scenes.

Would Alex say to us the channel is under threat? No, as it would stop people from purchasing from them if they are likely to go into administration. Remember bid tv? Selling quantities of 200+ and down to about 10 overnight once details of their CVA was in the news?

Alex needs to post, as he has been on here frequently from day 1, and would be suspicious if he just went. He's also trying to stop these rumours.

The fact is, the channel has been making next to no money. What is the daily cost of: presenters, camera crew, lighting, sound, producer, director etc? That's before bills etc. I'll let you know. For 12 hours live tv, it's over £2k minimum. When selling quantities of as little as zero each hour, it's easy to see the figures don't add up. Simon isn't rolling in money. He isn't a multi million pound investor. It seems that he was very nieve, very surprising after working in shopping tv for years. He probably got blindsided by seeing IW1 making £20-30k per hour show.

They are playing repeats to mitigate these costs. They are hoping that by playing repeats, they channel will become more known (without as many expenses) and hoping to go back live when sales pick up.

This isn't very good when the presenters constantly say to WhatsApp. People who think it's live may WhatsApp and think they're being ignored. Is there a reason they don't say it's a repeat? Yes. Those shows attract less viewers.

Personally, I saw it failing from day 1. You've cut off a large part of the market with no phone number to place an order. Yes, there's a cost there with call centre staff, but sales will be minimal without. Why watch shopping tv and then have to go online to order? It's like saying you want to order a takeaway to be delivered, but they have no driver.

The viewers who can purchase online are likely to go on Google and then see the other shops selling the item. I'm sure there'll be one supplier cheaper they can go to.

It's a shame, but it was never going to work.

Choice:
1. like item, search name of item online, see results.

2. Like item. Type seenontv.co.uk, search item. Buy direct.

Last edited:
**This will be my only post, as I am not going to get into a debate over this**

I can confirm that there is more than meets the eye.

I have no affiliation with "Insider". I do not know who they are. However, they are correct, and I am alse an insider in the shopping telly world. **edit. I see my name is 'Insider', but I put my isername as 'Insider 2'.

Alex said "it's not fair for us to come on live, then go to a tape, then live etc."
Then apparently the cameras weren't working. Well, there's no risk from that issue of going live, then tape, live etc as he makes out. There is more to it which you'll find out.

I'm surprised at how many people on here are believing Alex just as he's been open and honest on here for a week. Alex is a lovely guy, but much more is going on behind the scenes.

Would Alex say to us the channel is under threat? No, as it would stop people from purchasing from them if they are likely to go into administration. Remember bid tv? Selling quantities of 200+ and down to about 10 overnight once details of their CVA was in the news?

Alex needs to post, as he has been on here frequently from day 1, and would be suspicious if he just went. He's also trying to stop these rumours.

The fact is, the channel has been making next to no money. What is the daily cost of: presenters, camera crew, lighting, sound, producer, director etc? That's before bills etc. I'll let you know. For 12 hours live tv, it's over £2k minimum. When selling quantities of as little as zero each hour, it's easy to see the figures don't add up. Simon isn't rolling in money. He isn't a multi million pound investor. It seems that he was very nieve, very surprising after working in shopping tv for years. He probably got blindsided by seeing IW1 making £20-30k per hour show.

They are playing repeats to mitigate these costs. They are hoping that by playing repeats, they channel will become more known (without as many expenses) and hoping to go back live when sales pick up.

This isn't very good when the presenters constantly say to WhatsApp. People who think it's live may WhatsApp and think they're being ignored. Is there a reason they don't say it's a repeat? Yes. Those shows attract less viewers.

Personally, I saw it failing from day 1. You've cut off a large part of the market with no phone number to place an order. Yes, there's a cost there with call centre staff, but sales will be minimal without. Why watch shopping tv and then have to go online to order? It's like saying you want to order a takeaway to be delivered, but they have no driver.

The viewers who can purchase online are likely to go on Google and then see the other shops selling the item. I'm sure there'll be one supplier cheaper they can go to.

It's a shame, but it was never going to work.

Choice:
1. like item, search name of item online, see results.

2. Like item. Type seenontv.co.uk, search item. Buy direct.
If it is true the channel is already struggling, and with absolutely no disrespect to anyone involved, you have to question how robust their due diligence was when planning the venture. You can understand if it was even a few months in, but days?

As we keep on saying, surely the overall model is outdated (for all the reasons we've mentioned previously, online retailers etc) and surely the viewer base in terms of quantity is gradually reducing.

Unless there's something we don't know, why anyone would want to launch a channel like this in 2024 goodness only knows.

The heyday of this selling model has passed and it ain't coming back.

That post from Insider is very interesting. It also sheds light we don’t normally see on the procedures and the costs that go on behind-the-scenes in shopping television. From what they have written, the scenario they describe seems very credible. I feel sorry for Alex to a degree. He can hardly post on here and agree with what Insider has said. That would be the kiss of death. The faulty cameras narrative is probably the safest one to pursue for damage limitation purposes. The one who should be posting is Simon Iles. Just the one from him so far announcing the new channel. That was the easy bit. Alex picks up the harder stuff.

Well, well, well…two Insiders and a Hopping seem VERY keen to pour scorn on this new venture. I’m not an avid shopping telly viewer but ‘pop in’ now and then out of curiosity. I haven’t seen much of this new channel but wish them well regardless.

What baffles me is how the aforementioned trio seem at pains to defend I.W….and what a shoddy, duplicitous bunch of tat-schleppers we know THEY are. The products are market stall tacky, the presenters are cringe-inducing liars and the ludicrously inflated RRPs are criminal.

Defending I.W is as pitiful as expecting people to believe Muriel is real.

That post from Insider is very interesting. It also sheds light we don’t normally see on the procedures and the costs that go on behind-the-scenes in shopping television. From what they have written, the scenario they describe seems very credible. I feel sorry for Alex to a degree. He can hardly post on here and agree with what Insider has said. That would be the kiss of death. The faulty cameras narrative is probably the safest one to pursue for damage limitation purposes. The one who should be posting is Simon Iles. Just the one from him so far announcing the new channel. That was the easy bit. Alex picks up the harder stuff.
…and I do agree with all that you’ve said, Duke.

It justs grinds my gears that I.W is defended by these people so much. The misinformation presented on-screen is abhorrent and it sickens me to think that vulnerable individuals are taken in by it. If they dumped the touting of laughable RRPs and just sold things ‘as is’, I’d have a shred more respect for them.

Latest posts

Back